Confrontation

Les Picantins

Oh so true Lincslady. Perhaps it is important to take advantage of the the Patio (Earth and Air on most ships now) when the weather is good. We passed up a few opportunities, then hit some rainy cooler weather (in the Baltic) and ended up with only one night there.

We've eaten so seldom in the Colonnade in the evening. What keeps us away are the themed nights and we have no desire to eat indoors. If an outdoor table is not available, I would rather go to the main dining room.

True - but room service is not very exciting (to me), and if the weather is not good enough for the Pool Grill and it is a TK night in the Colonnade there is one option, the dining room.

I would be interested to know what proportion of passengers like the TK additions, and how many would prefer something different? Probably about 50/50, I would guess.

You'll never know the answer

Sent from my SM-G955F using Forums mobile app

I would guess that there are all kinds of opinions about the food/ambience of the various dining venues. There are some (like me) who don't like to go to the Colonnade for breakfast! We met one passenger (who became a friend) on our last voyage who called breakfast and lunch at the Colonnade "eating at the trough." We preferred a calm quiet breakfast in the MDR. Loved it, in fact.

Lunch at the Colonnade was ok, IF we were seated out on the Veranda. If not, I would rather be elsewhere, like on the pool patio. Lunch was also nice in the MDR. Last year, when sailed on the Encore, lunch in the MDR was not an option. I was so happy to discover that it was available on the Ovation in June 2018.

Having NO interest in the themed meals, or in sushi, you would find us i the MDR at night OR at the fabulous Earth and Air.

Isn't it great that there are choices! I assume some choose the Colonnade in the evening as the dress is just a tiny bit more casual than the MDR. I do envy those who love sushi as they have that alternative. I assume it is difficult to come up with a distinct personality for the Colonnade in the evenings and that is why the themed dinners were chosen.

Just goes to show how different all our preferences are! We do enjoy the occasional dinner in the Colonnade, mainly when there is a 'theme' like French Market or Indian - not all that authentic, but a pleasant change from the dining room. I admit we have only tried one casual TK in there, and it was a disaster - the food,that is - but no doubt some of his menus are good.

We also like having breakfast in there, if it is not too full. Like choosing our own fruit etc., and then usually order something like eggs benedict or the lovely blueberry pancakes. I know the buffet aspect of it is completely off-putting to many people, whereas we find the dining room when there are only a few tables occupied feels a bit sterile and like an unpopular hotel! Chacun ....... as they say.

lincslady, I do find it fascinating to hear about different preferences (and the reasons for them) for dining. It's the same in our everyday life here in Dallas. I have friends who always choose restaurants that make me blanche! I just favor a calm serene atmosphere with white tablecloths if I can get them. At the same time, I love eating (and drinking) out by the pool at lunchtime! I think it is having too many people around me that I don't enjoy. Of course that happens in the MDR at night, but it is ameliorated somewhat by the white tablecloth ambience.

Since we're going off topic but still talking about TK, has anyone else noticed that most of the side dishes in the Grill on the Encore have a dirty oven taste? This was the case summer 2017 and again on our recent trip. I hope they do not have a ventilation problem as that can be a serious fire hazard.

These same dishes were perfect on the Quest a few months ago, so it's not one of the diva chef's quirky interpretations.

We find that our preferred venue for meals depends mostly on whether or not it's a warm weather cruise. We make the most of every opportunity to dine outside given that we have limited opportunity to do so when at home. So we tend to prioritise eating outdoors over the actual menu on offer.

On warm weather cruises we have breakfast outside the Colonnade. Lunch is around a 70/30 split between outside Colonnade and the Patio Grill. (I find it more challenging to make healthy choices at PG at lunchtime hence I gravitate to the Colonnade). The MDR has not often been open for lunch on the warm weather cruises that we've taken.

For dinner our first choice is usually Patio Grill - but for me only suitable for warm weather cruising. If I want to dine outside wearing a blanket under a heat lamp I can do that 10 months of the year at home.:D That's not my idea of an enjoyable dinner!

When the weather is good we also enjoy eating outdoors at The Colonnade in the evening. We didn't enjoy the TK evenings in the Colonnade when they were being trialled on Odyssey in 2015, but certainly have enjoyed them much more recently. Dare I confess that I actually loved the chicken and grits?)

If no space was available outside the Colonnade, as I'm not too keen on eating dinner indoors there,I'd go to the MDR instead. I don't remember this ever happening though, we've always found a table there.

In particular, I've observed that indoors at the Colonnade can get crowded for breakfast and lunch on cruises in the hot and humid regions of the world - I've been on a couple of cruises in the tropics when it was too uncomfortable on most days to eat outdoors for many guests, the exception being the sunworshippers on the pool deck!

On cooler weather cruises SB tends to open the MDR most days for lunch, this is a great option as an alternate to a crowded Colonnade when it's too cold to eat outside.

So, looking forward very much to trying the new Earth and Ocean concept if the evening temperatures are comfortable enough on our Ovation cruise in December. Very unlikely to choose Sushi for dinner although I'm sure I'll choose it for lunch a couple of days.

First, in the interests of full disclosure, I like to eat well but I am not a 'foodie'. Give me a nice steak and fries/chips or lamb chops and I am a happy camper.

With the exception of TK where we try to make a number of reservations, one every 6 days or so, our practice is to decide where to eat based on the daily menus and what we fancy. Sometimes that is the MDR, sometimes it is the Colonnade and sometimes the Patio.

We do like to eat outside so the Colonnade and Patio are preferred choices for breakfast and lunch.

Some of the themed dinners at the Colonnade are very good, some less so. In my experience, the Indian Market is usually outstanding. On our last cruise they even had an Indian guest chef and his dishes were amazing. One of the problems with the themed dinners is that they sometimes sacrifice authenticity for the sake of our western palates.

If trivia is popular then at 1.00pm you may have 100+ people making a rush for lunch. In those circumstances we find that the MDR is a very good solution as the vast majority head for the Colonnade or Patio.

Breakfast in the MDR is supremely civilized. I don't know why we don't do it more often.

I don't understand the "snooty" description of TK Grill. I found the servers all correct yet with a great sense of humor and so anxious for you to try everything possible on the menu. The quality of the food imo is far superior to most specialty restaurants on other ships. Plus there's a simple solution for those who do find it snooty....don't go.

I missed the "snooty' description. It's certainly a more formal service overall than elsewhere on the ship but does formal necessarily equal snooty? Not for me it doesn't. And I agree with wripro, I've found the servers to be keen to talk about the food, keen for guests to try it all, keen for the guests to sample the included special cocktails but at the same time they are maintaining the slightly more formal service very well.

Since we're going off topic but still talking about TK, has anyone else noticed that most of the side dishes in the Grill on the Encore have a dirty oven taste? This was the case summer 2017 and again on our recent trip. I hope they do not have a ventilation problem as that can be a serious fire hazard.
Les Picantins, did you share your observation about a possible ventilation problem with anyone at SB? If Encore does have ventilation issues which can lead to a serious fire hazard, I hope SB is aware of that. We were on Azamara Quest when it suffered an engine fire which resulted in us having to disembark the ship only 3 days into a 17 day cruise. We're on Encore for 32 nites next year and I don't want to experience the same fate.

I don't understand the "snooty" description of TK Grill. I found the servers all correct yet with a great sense of humor and so anxious for you to try everything possible on the menu. The quality of the food imo is far superior to most specialty restaurants on other ships. Plus there's a simple solution for those who do find it snooty....don't go.

I think (and I'm guessing as I personally find it warm and personable) that the people who deign it to be "snooty" are those who don't like being told "no, we will not cook your meat to well done" or "no, you can't have requests outside of the normal menu".

Perhaps I am just used to restaurants (including all of TK's stateside ventures as well as many places where chef's tastings are the norm) where the chef is in charge and, with the exception of true dietary concerns (i.e. vegetarian, food allergy, etc.) it is not up to the guests to decide how the meal is prepared. In those establishments, I've always been asked if I have any food concerns... but beyond that, the food just shows up and I enjoy it.

I know that I have friends who find chef's tastings pretentious... and often those are my friends with more limited palates than mine. My mother has also sailed with me and is not a fan of TK's MDR presentations, but enjoys the TK nights in the Colonnade. I think its lovely that Seabourn has something for everyone... and I hope they continue to offer a range of dining options that appeal to a variety of tastes and nationalities.

I am joining this 'party' late --however wanted to provide a good outcome at the TK Grill. We were on the Encore this past February for a New Zealand/Australia cruise. We ate at the Grill the second night out; the meal was fine but there was a mix up in providing me a decaf cappuccino with dessert. No big deal. It finally got sorted out and I thought that was the end of it.

Two nights later we were enjoying a cocktail in the TK bar and Ivan the maitre d' came over to us to apologize for the problem and invited us to dine in the Grill at that time; we did not have a reservation but accepted the gracious offer. Service was impeccable.

We ate there again later in the cruise and again Ivan made sure all was well, coming over several times (not too many however) to check on the food and service.

This is one of the reasons we continue to book on Seabourn--

Encore.

I am wondering what is a dirty oven taste... I know I have had food where the oil was a little off and food which was under and over cooked. But dirty oven taste...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm...I did not experience a dirty oven taste on side dishes in the TK Grill last Sept/October on Encore.

The poster said this was on Encore 'last summer' so it was probably before your cruise but I wouldn't imagine it was a long time before, 3 months at most? Hopefully she'll come back and tell us more. I agree with a previous post,if there is a ventilation issue on the ship I hope they're aware of it!

OK. Thank you. For some reason I missed the specifics. And I agree, ventilation issues are very important on ships--and elsewhere.

Easy to miss, it was a few posts back and the thread has zig-zagged a little since then!

It doesn't matter if the waiter it right or not. He may be right but it's the tone and the way he talks to the passenger that's the issue here, He could have said all the same things with a smile on his face and there would have been no problem.

Banish Hugo to room service deliveries!

Room service deliveries are every bit as important as dining room service! We should know after two very very lackluster room service dinners--one when we had an evening excursion, the other when my husband was not feeling well. No---we really need excellent service in all venues, including our rooms!

We are on the Encore and ate at TK last night, July 31 2018. We loved our salads, NY steaks, sides and desserts. The service was friendly and attentive. We have eaten in other TK restaurants in the US and enjoyed them. The OP was certainly within her right to complain about rude service. At a minimum, it is a training issue management should know about and care about.

• 2 weeks later...

wow floris - thanks for posting that. i agree - the one thing i really don't like about SB - is the way some people make a sport out of finding fault with the crew - and then get some perverse satisfaction from feeling superior and reporting it. (that's right up there with someone sitting down near you and immediately telling you how many homes they have- snnnoorrre!!). i personally am humbled that these young people in the crew leave their homes and families and come to live in a small box, work 12 hours a day 7 days a week and manage to almost always make me smile!! i'm gonna have to side with hugo!! ;)