Regent vs Celebrity suites

Pingpong- just a quick correction on MSC Yacht Club inclusions....YC guests are free to enjoy drinks at all bars on board as well as the Venchi gelato bar. All included except the "super premium" alcohol and bottles of wine.

This is only a comment on matters raised in some recent posts.

If the price of a Celebrity Sky Suite for a given itinerary were the same or more than a suite of the same size in the Voyager, by all means I would take the Voyager! The main reason we recently cruised a Celebrity Royal Suite instead of the Mariner was because the Royal suite was over twice as large as a cat H on the Mariner and a bit less costly.

It is very true that it often not a matter of what one can afford, but rather is a matter of how much one chooses to pay. A bit over a decade ago, we were booking Regent/Radison for about $250 per deim pp. Now it is about four times that! This cost increase causes “sticker shock” for me and I suspect many others. A line must simply be drawn somewhere!

Finally, there is the matter of lines and crowds once one leaves the suite area and enters the main part of a Celebrity ship. We very much dislike lines and crowds, but for some reason we did not encounter this problem on Celibrity. We certainly did encounter this problem when we cruised in the MSC Yacht Club and in the NCL Haven.

Dolebludger - I find your last post quite interesting. NCL, as you know, has private areas for the suites, lounge and restaurant but Celebrity does not (although there is talk about their new ships having a private area for suites). So, on NCL you did not have to go into the common areas with thousands of other passengers but on Celebrity you do (according to the information I've seen and we will be staying in a Royal suite in September).

In terms of cost, you really need to look at what a person typically books on Regent. In our case, we book a suite with 1 1/2 bathrooms whenever possible so when we looked at Celebrity, the Royal suite was not really larger than what we are used to (except that there is only 1 bathroom). So, we are paying dramatically less for approximately the same suite size that we would book on Regent.

Although we are "playing" with other cruise lines that have west coast departures, I cannot imagine wanting to book NCL or Celebrity on a cruise longer than 7 nights. As mentioned, we are doing this for fun -- nothing else and we have no expectations of the experiences being equal to or better than Regent. OTOH, next September, we will try a 7 night west coast cruise on one of the two major luxury cruise lines that we have yet to sail on (one that I never - ever wanted to sail on). That one should definitely be interesting.

It is fun mixing things up. The one thing that I learned is how little I know about these other cruise lines. While I have spent years learning everything that I can about Regent, I know next to nothing about Celebrity (for instance). We couldn't even book through our TA because they only book luxury and premium plus cruise lines.

Our agent only books luxury and premium as well and they are the top sellers of cruises and land vacations and not part of any consortiums. That being said, as we are good customers they will make exceptions if we wanted to do something else. We have no need to find another agent because it is not part of what they normally book.

Our agent only books luxury and premium as well and they are the top sellers of cruises and land vacations and not part of any consortiums. That being said, as we are good customers they will make exceptions if we wanted to do something else. We have no need to find another agent because it is not part of what they normally book.

I would not want our TA to book a cruise line that they are not familiar with. Celebrity has wonderful representatives that help customers one on one ..... we have our representative's phone number and email address and get questions answered quickly.

The reason many of us recommend TA's that regularly book Regent cruises - even though they may have a TA that is excellent with other cruise lines, land vacations, etc. is because we hope that people new to Regent will find top experienced agents that have actually sailed on Regent many times and can make recommendations, suggestions based on their experiences.

Yes, TC2 and all, we were pleasantly surprised by our two Celebrity suite cruises this year. As has been mentioned, Celebrity suites and related facilities are not grouped together on the current fleet, so suite guests must go through non-suite parts of the ship many times each day. We were very surprised at how uncrowded these non-suite areas were. These areas were really no more crowded than public areas on Regent, and both Celebrity ships were totally full. On MSC and NCL the suites and related facilities were in a separate area not accessible to non-suite guests. But when a suite guest went into the public ares, those areas were found to be crowded.

We also found Celibrity shore personnel to be very helpful prior to the cruises.

I’m eager to read your report on your Celibrity Royal Suite Cruise.

I would not want our TA to book a cruise line that they are not familiar with. Celebrity has wonderful representatives that help customers one on one ..... we have our representative's phone number and email address and get questions answered quickly.

The reason many of us recommend TA's that regularly book Regent cruises - even though they may have a TA that is excellent with other cruise lines, land vacations, etc. is because we hope that people new to Regent will find top experienced agents that have actually sailed on Regent many times and can make recommendations, suggestions based on their experiences.

Trust me our agent has sailed many times on Regent and all the other luxury lines. If we have any problems out of office hours I can call direct 24&7 but it would have to be a major problem for us to call and never needed to. Thank goodness.