C&A program outdated?

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like most cruise loyalty programs are a bit outdated for the current cruise experience and ships. Who cares about a crowded Diamond Lounge and non-premium drinks, particularly when I have a premium package and can go anywhere and get what I want already?

I get some people might not be buying the package, but a great deal do.

And even the nicest Diamond and Concierge lounges on board kind of remind me of an airport lounge. I have to spend enough time in those, I certainly don't want to do so on my vacation.

What if instead, they actually really amped up the customer service angle? I'm top tier with a couple airlines, and the biggest perks are upgrades and immediate access to customer service.

I think the top levels of a cruise loyalty program should look more like this:

- REAL dedicated phone line with immediate access to an agent

- Automatic upgrade (i.e. just shift the price point by a category or two)

- Decreased or no deposit

- Delayed final payment

- More favorable cancellation/refund terms

- Category guarantees up to a certain point before sailing

- Perks such as complimentary specialty dining services or excursions

I know some of this is already done, but I think a lot of it could be done better. I just think the focus on some very dated on board amenities isn't quite cutting it.

Thoughts?

I still enjoy C&A benefit's, using my Balcony and Single(above 340points) discounts save a fortune, but see some what you are saying. Back 20yrs ago when made Diamond, level was tops, at most maybe 6-10 of us on the newest ship's. No Diamond Lounge then but was able use Conceirge Lounge, was alway's able sit with Suite Guests being 1st on and 1st off ship. Diamond(all 6-10 of us) every cruise had Formal get together, suit/tie, with Capatain, Cruise Director, Doctor, Hotel Head, Chief Engineer. Almost a one on one... Now as I sail only longer Repo/TA/Panama Canal cruises, usually half the ship C&A upper tier, so the Diamonds take over the Crown Lounge, feel bad for the regular guests. When started sailing Royal 30yrs ago we enjoyed going up there for drink, dance. But all programs change, not sure that Royal will make changes you suggest. Ships sail Full/Sold out, so they don't really care so much about us repeaters.. I still get most out of my benefits...

Edited by ONECRUISER

They all use the same phone number: 800-526-9723. My understanding is that D+ and Pinnacle can press 9 when the recording starts and get to the D+/PC desk. I don't know if there is any special routing for the really bottom level C&A like Diamond and below.

That phone number is a digit short.

Edited by Host Clarea

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like most cruise loyalty programs are a bit outdated for the current cruise experience and ships. Who cares about a crowded Diamond Lounge and non-premium drinks, particularly when I have a premium package and can go anywhere and get what I want already?

Me, yes its just you. I don't have to buy the drink package and 5 or 6 drinks in 3 hours is more than enough for me.

I disagree with the premise that there is anything obsolete about the benefits themselves. However, it is becoming increasingly difficult for the cruise line to deliver the benefits, simply because there are just too many Diamond and above C&A members. There are two reasons for this and they both become clear when you compare C&A with airline Frequent Flyer programs as the OP was doing. First, too many people are receiving top tier status based on their family members being top tier. That rarely happens with the airline programs (although some airline programs allow people in the very top tiers to gift one family member with elite membership, usually in a lower tier than the tier of the gifter). Second, all C&A tiers are for life. While airline programs may have lifetime tiers, those are rare. Most people in elite airline tiers have to earn their status every year. This keeps their numbers relatively small. RCI has reacted to the growth in numbers of top tier members by diluting the perks. First, they evicted Diamond members from the Concierge Clubs (although they added the Diamond Clubs as compensation). Then, they replaced the Concierge Clubs on the larger ships with Suite Lounges, which was really just a way to evict the Diamond Plus members as they had previously evicted the Diamond members. The result of that last change was to cause many if not most of the diamond clubs to become overcrowded. The reserved seats at shows that are still on the list of diamond plus perks have also been disappearing on some ships. If they want to bring C&A back to the way it was (and I am not sure that they do), then they have to find some way to reduce the number of members in the top tiers. They can either eliminate the sharing of tier levels with family members, require top tier members to periodically re-qualify for their tiers, or raise the number of C&A points required to attain certain tiers. Otherwise, the perks for the Diamond and Diamond Plus tiers are likely to be diluted even further.

By the way, there's is a D+ desk. When you call the C&A tele # (800) 526-9723 just prompt #7. This I found ou from our resident helpmeister "Bob" some time ago. I use when I'm frustrated with the Pre-cruise Planner Dep.

With regards to the cancellation policy, that ship has since sailed.

Also, not everyone purchases drink packages. However, I like some free pressing opportunities and no charge room service.

Hmmm I thought the prompt was #9 which is what works for me.

(y)

In some ways trying to compare cruise line loyalty programs to airline is like apples and oranges. The biggest difference is that with airline you need to requalify each year, with cruise lines you just keep moving up. You end up with a lot more top tier on ships.

Even comparing Royal's program with other lines there are big differences. Royal gives more than others. Other that Celebrity, who else has lounges with free drinks?

As for the program being dated... I am not sure what you mean other than maybe after getting the benefits for a long time you are bored with the current offerings and want more.

We are pretty happy with how it is now.

(y)(y)

I guess if Royal added a speciality dining perk that would be nice.....but I've always been able to cut a deal with the waiters on every ship I've been on. They will take 30% off without blinking an eye. The best deal I negotiated was 50% off and free margaritas at Sabor on Navigator.

Hi “neighbor”,

Would you please explain this.

Thanks

Hi “neighbor”,

Would you please explain this.

Thanks

Just like I tell my kids.....

Sometimes all you need to do is ask

Most of the time the speciality restaraunts send out their waiters to the WJ to sell packages or you see them hanging out in front of their restaraunt. Just go up and ask for a discount. Don't take their first offer......

Good luck

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Just like I tell my kids.....

Sometimes all you need to do is ask

Most of the time the speciality restaraunts send out their waiters to the WJ to sell packages or you see them hanging out in front of their restaraunt. Just go up and ask for a discount. Don't take their first offer......

Good luck

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply.

They certainly do pester us about those packages. I’ll give it a try.

I like some of the ideas. I know we will never get an upgrade offer because we are those people who book the suites. But I would love the reduced booking fee because ours is always way more than $100. We will be D in a year and will probably be using the free drinks. We also enjoy the Suites lounge because of the lack of people there, one reason we like the suites. But, no cruise line will make everyone happy so we book what we want, take the perkes, if any, and enjoy the time on the boat.

I disagree with the premise that there is anything obsolete about the benefits themselves. However, it is becoming increasingly difficult for the cruise line to deliver the benefits, simply because there are just too many Diamond and above C&A members. There are two reasons for this and they both become clear when you compare C&A with airline Frequent Flyer programs as the OP was doing. First, too many people are receiving top tier status based on their family members being top tier. That rarely happens with the airline programs (although some airline programs allow people in the very top tiers to gift one family member with elite membership, usually in a lower tier than the tier of the gifter). Second, all C&A tiers are for life. While airline programs may have lifetime tiers, those are rare. Most people in elite airline tiers have to earn their status every year. This keeps their numbers relatively small. RCI has reacted to the growth in numbers of top tier members by diluting the perks. First, they evicted Diamond members from the Concierge Clubs (although they added the Diamond Clubs as compensation). Then, they replaced the Concierge Clubs on the larger ships with Suite Lounges, which was really just a way to evict the Diamond Plus members as they had previously evicted the Diamond members. The result of that last change was to cause many if not most of the diamond clubs to become overcrowded. The reserved seats at shows that are still on the list of diamond plus perks have also been disappearing on some ships. If they want to bring C&A back to the way it was (and I am not sure that they do), then they have to find some way to reduce the number of members in the top tiers. They can either eliminate the sharing of tier levels with family members, require top tier members to periodically re-qualify for their tiers, or raise the number of C&A points required to attain certain tiers. Otherwise, the perks for the Diamond and Diamond Plus tiers are likely to be diluted even further.

Perhaps their just waiting for us older D+ members to die off :loudcry:

You don't change the loyalty program, the Loyalty Program changes you. I think. Yeah, yeah that's it.

Seriously, I don't think your right about the lounges. I think you will see them continue to go the other way, to full ship within a ship experience. Separate Lounges, Restaurants, Cabins, Pools all specifically for high level loyalty and premium paying guests. I'm not saying it will happen overnight, but I think the signs are there.

I agree with the OP but this is happening all over the industry. The ships are full. They don't have to discount fares. Suite guests are looking for an exclusive experience to go with their higher fares. The trend seems to be with elevating the suite experience because it brings in more money.

Once a recession hits you might see some change.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Forums mobile app

There were a few typos, so I shall incorporate all into one correct answer.

The "D+/PC" phone number is 800-526-9723, press NINE (9) during the recording.

What happens if a non D+/PC enters #9 [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply.

They certainly do pester us about those packages. I’ll give it a try.

Oasis SL Concierge used to have 20% off coupon for all of the specialty venues.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

What makes it "dated"?

Was free drinks in a lounge a '90's era thing to do? Or some 2005 trend? I don't understand what makes "the program construct" dated.

I think what you really mean is that it's value to you is not what you want. They are giving stuff that they think is valuable to their long term customers- and most appreciate it. And all you are doing is giving different stuff- which is just as dated as giving out free drinks.

One was always able to buy drinks, now they make it easier for you to buy drinks in a specific package. That does not at all make the free drinks as a perk obsolete. What it does is actually put a real monetary value on the benefit of free drinks. And many here think that monetary value is useful, especially when super high quality isn't really required. If you want that, you always have the option to pay for it, but free drinks is valuable.

I totally agree.

I suspect the op is neither Pinnacle,D+ or D because if he was his vision of loyalty schemes would be different.

Certain cruiselines loyalty programs are not very good but RCCL C&A is by far the best loyalty program and one I would not want diluting.

OP be careful what you ask for:lips-sealed::lips-sealed:.....you may end up not liking the next set of new changes (when ) RCI decides to make them. We're (our entire extended family) are all D+ and in the last several years have been disappointed when RCI makes changes.....because the majority of those are actually not in our favor. :loudcry:
The introduction of SL which is to the detriment of D+ is a classic example.

Dated? It was not too long ago that you only got free beer and wine, plus 25% off drinks. They just finished building all of the Diamond Clubs.

"Who cares about a crowded Diamond Lounge and non-premium drinks, particularly when I have a premium package and can go anywhere and get what I want already?" I CARE

I don't want the premium package. I'm perfectly fine with the drinks in the clubs. Why are there so many people on CC that want to take away the clubs? None of the other perks you suggested would really save me any money, especially if those upgrades you are suggesting are not available.

My sentiments too and I can relate to all your points.

Interesting points all of you. I was just kind of throwing this out there. I guess one of the "problems" is that there are a LOT of people at a high level (D+ and Pinnacle). I certainly wouldn't advocate cutting anyone out, but there certainly is a volume issue. Being top tier with an airline means I can always get someone on the phone pretty much immediately. But it's also a bigger relative investment to reach top tier with an airline than say D+ with Royal.

Again, I'm not married to any of it, I was just curious what people thought!

Interesting points all of you. I was just kind of throwing this out there. I guess one of the "problems" is that there are a LOT of people at a high level (D+ and Pinnacle). I certainly wouldn't advocate cutting anyone out, but there certainly is a volume issue. Being top tier with an airline means I can always get someone on the phone pretty much immediately. But it's also a bigger relative investment to reach top tier with an airline than say D+ with Royal.

Again, I'm not married to any of it, I was just curious what people thought!

Never give the cruiselines an opportunity or ideas to reduce benefits because they will take some views onboard and implement them saying It's What Cruisers Want.