C&A program outdated?

I get that, but "exclusive" also doesn't feel "exclusive" when it seems like everyone has it!:cool:
It's not as exclusive as it once was but as a high tier Princess and P&O member also RC look after us a lot better and are my first choice because of that.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like most cruise loyalty programs are a bit outdated for the current cruise experience and ships. Who cares about a crowded Diamond Lounge and non-premium drinks, particularly when I have a premium package and can go anywhere and get what I want already? I do, and I think many others do as well. If you think lounges are a thing of the past I guess the cruiselines are wrong with building more and more lounges and closed off areas for the suite passengers.

I get some people might not be buying the package, but a great deal do. I can only guess here, but while many do buy those packages it´s my feeling there are more people not buying them.

And even the nicest Diamond and Concierge lounges on board kind of remind me of an airport lounge. I have to spend enough time in those, I certainly don't want to do so on my vacation.

What if instead, they actually really amped up the customer service angle? I'm top tier with a couple airlines, and the biggest perks are upgrades and immediate access to customer service.

I think the top levels of a cruise loyalty program should look more like this:

- REAL dedicated phone line with immediate access to an agent - not interested

- Automatic upgrade (i.e. just shift the price point by a category or two) - unrealistic IMO, why would they throw away upgrades like this? They are giving the balcony discount already

- Decreased or no deposit - not interested at all, I don´t see it a perk, as I have to pay it anyway, doesn´t matter if that´s earlier or later

- Delayed final payment - see above

- More favorable cancellation/refund terms I see them as rather favourable already

- Category guarantees up to a certain point before sailing - not sure what you mean by this, but if you are talking about something similar to some airlines, where you can do a late booking and they guarantee you a seat, not practical for a cruiseline

- Perks such as complimentary specialty dining services or excursions - rather keep what they give me now instead of this.

I know some of this is already done, but I think a lot of it could be done better. I just think the focus on some very dated on board amenities isn't quite cutting it.

Thoughts?

I´m with the majority here. I don´t think C&A is outdated one bit and while added perks are always nice, nothing on your list would interest me, aside from some rather unrealistic ones.

Interesting points all of you. I was just kind of throwing this out there. I guess one of the "problems" is that there are a LOT of people at a high level (D+ and Pinnacle). I certainly wouldn't advocate cutting anyone out, but there certainly is a volume issue. Being top tier with an airline means I can always get someone on the phone pretty much immediately. But it's also a bigger relative investment to reach top tier with an airline than say D+ with Royal.

Again, I'm not married to any of it, I was just curious what people thought!

I don´t quite get what´s the deal with CS on the phone:confused:. This would be my last idea, if it even came up at all. In over 25 years of cruising and more than 35 years of travelling around the world, I´ve never called a cruiseline or an airline respectively.:confused: I certainly have no need at all for some dedicated phone line.

I´m with the majority here. I don´t think C&A is outdated one bit and while added perks are always nice, nothing on your list would interest me, aside from some rather unrealistic ones.

I don´t quite get what´s the deal with CS on the phone:confused:. This would be my last idea, if it even came up at all. In over 25 years of cruising and more than 35 years of travelling around the world, I´ve never called a cruiseline or an airline respectively.:confused: I certainly have no need at all for some dedicated phone line.

I agree,most UK airlines you do everything on line anyway.

In over 25 years of cruising and more than 35 years of travelling around the world, I´ve never called a cruiseline or an airline respectively.:confused: I certainly have no need at all for some dedicated phone line.

I guess you have a point with cruising. I will respectfully disagree with airlines, however. As a Mosaic on JetBlue, for example, I love having a dedicated phone line with almost immediate access to an agent. I often make flight changes and to be able to do it quickly and easily, sometimes online but often by phone, is a Godsend. It has also been a great value in delays, especially weather related. I was stuck in Orlando last year with six of us when weather up north starting mucking up flights. The line a the counter was huge, and people were talking about the wait on the phone. I called the Mosaic line and got someone right away.

You are correct as I think about it that this might not have the necessity with a cruise it might for flights.

I guess I really just wish I could get BETTER help on the phone when I do need it. But it seems like what you are informed has a loose relationship with the truth!:p

Yikes...these terms sound like relaxed financing for a car or a home. Foreclosures and repos? :o:eek:

- Automatic upgrade (i.e. just shift the price point by a category or two)

- Decreased or no deposit

- Delayed final payment

- More favorable cancellation/refund terms

- Category guarantees up to a certain point before sailing

I would probably still drink Jameson on the rocks before dinner if I had a drink package.....so the free drinks work for me.

Drinks, balcony discount, 2 free internet days each, and priority boarding are the most important perks for us.

My profile is marked "no upgrades" as I already have the cabin I want. Royal has made a intelligent business decision as they now sell the upgrades. I hope this helps keep prices down.

Don't consider paying now or later much of a perk. I use Bob's trick to get an agent(works most of the time). Very rarely use a ship excursion, as it's always better to book outside operators.

I guess if Royal added a speciality dining perk that would be nice.....but I've always been able to cut a deal with the waiters on every ship I've been on. They will take 30% off without blinking an eye. The best deal I negotiated was 50% off and free margaritas at Sabor on Navigator.

I believe I would rather Royal leave it alone.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk[/quote

FYI As D+ you can get BOGO first 2 nites in SR. You can also buy BOGO for first 2 nItes online.

Me, yes its just you. I don't have to buy the drink package and 5 or 6 drinks in 3 hours is more than enough for me.

Totally agree with you. You get 3 drinks on your CC that you can use during happy hours time at bars if lounge crowded or you don't want to go to lounge.

With so many "loyal to Royal" I hope perks will remain unchanged!

And please don't take our happy hour. :)

Our happy 3.5 hours and 24 hour private lounge make RC the best and streets ahead of any other loyalty program and the reason RC have no problem filling their ships.

I would probably still drink Jameson on the rocks before dinner if I had a drink package.....so the free drinks work for me.

Drinks, balcony discount, 2 free internet days each, and priority boarding are the most important perks for us.

My profile is marked "no upgrades" as I already have the cabin I want. Royal has made a intelligent business decision as they now sell the upgrades. I hope this helps keep prices down.

Don't consider paying now or later much of a perk. I use Bob's trick to get an agent(works most of the time). Very rarely use a ship excursion, as it's always better to book outside operators.

I guess if Royal added a speciality dining perk that would be nice.....but I've always been able to cut a deal with the waiters on every ship I've been on. They will take 30% off without blinking an eye. The best deal I negotiated was 50% off and free margaritas at Sabor on Navigator.

I believe I would rather Royal leave it alone.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk[/quote

FYI As D+ you can get BOGO first 2 nites in SR. You can also buy BOGO for first 2 nItes online.

Yep...we just like to meet our table mates and waiters the first few nights.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Yep...we just like to meet our table mates and waiters the first few nights.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

We used to stop by on night one and introduce ourselves and let them know we had other plans. Dont do that now th as t we usually get MyTime. Especially on Oasis ships

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Our happy 3.5 hours and 24 hour private lounge make RC the best and streets ahead of any other loyalty program and the reason RC have no problem filling their ships.
Agree!

We sail with 8 lines and slowly are reaching high statuses with each. Royal's C&A perks make it difficult to choose other lines now. :)

We did 2 a year for the first couple of years then did JR suites to get to D+ in 8 years. We don't drink that much in a year as what a package would cost for a 10 or 12 day cruise. Sure I would like to see something more for what we pay now but here's a saying I have AINT HAPPING BRO. I would love to see royal do some of the deals other cruise line are offering even there sister company celebrity does with there drink package.

We did 2 a year for the first couple of years then did JR suites to get to D+ in 8 years. We don't drink that much in a year as what a package would cost for a 10 or 12 day cruise. Sure I would like to see something more for what we pay now but here's a saying I have AINT HAPPING BRO. I would love to see royal do some of the deals other cruise line are offering even there sister company celebrity does with there drink package.
RC do those free drinks deals for UK customers.

What they also do is automatically increase the fare by over £200pppw so even if you drink little or are D+ like us and get free drinks during cocktail hours every night we are still paying for something we don't want.

Speak for yourself, we love our free 'cheap' drinks, and actually spend a lot of time in the Diamond/Concierge Lounge on our cruises. We would never drink enough to make a drink package worth the money, but certainly enjoy a few free drinks each evening. My husband's favorite perk in the coffee machine in the Diamond lounge. He uses that multiple times a day.

That's us, too. We'd never purchase a drink package, don't drink in the afternoon except for an occasional glass of wine if the dining room is open for lunch. But those cocktail hour drinks are VERY much appreciated, as is the coffee machine. Hope you hear this, Royal: THANK YOU for our lovely perks (and please don't take them away:*:*).

As someone who sails Carnival, I will say Royal by far has the best loyalty program of any line. As someone who frequents hotels, lounges are a big deal, even with the younger crowd. I would absolutely love to not have to buy drinks anymore, or at least severely cut down the spending.

IMO, Royal is at the tipping point where they have too many Diamond or higher members and don't need to give out as many perks as they do. If anything, to keep that program viable, they would have to start raising requirements for higher levels. Adding more to the program is not a reasonable request.

IMO, Royal is at the tipping point where they have too many Diamond or higher members and don't need to give out as many perks as they do. If anything, to keep that program viable, they would have to start raising requirements for higher levels. Adding more to the program is not a reasonable request.

Completely agree. I have a feeling that Royal will raise a number of nights to become a Diamond.

Completely agree. I have a feeling that Royal will raise a number of nights to become a Diamond.
Unfortunately I think that will have to happen and the introduction of 3 free drinks in other bars during cocktail area was testing the water to see how many people used them.

I doubt that will happen as that would mean demoting people which would not go over well. More likely the benefits will change.

I doubt that will happen as that would mean demoting people which would not go over well. More likely the benefits will change.

They don't seem to have a problem demoting D+ from the new Suite Lounges on Harmony, Independence,Liberty etc when previously we could share the Concierge Lounges with Suite passengers.