7 or 10-Day PG Cruise?

Hutchinj

The DW missus and I have a 50th Anniversary coming up in 2020 and having never been to French Polynesia what better way than to celebrate with a Paul Gauguin Cruise?

But shhhh... she doesn't know about this. For right now she thinks we'll be going to some resort in the Caribbean. Nice but no comparison to a bucket-list trip to Tahiti let alone a PG cruise! :cool:

I've checked the recently released cruise schedules for 2020 and they seem pretty limited for the 7 and 10-night cruises. I'm struggling trying to decide WHICH cruise to go for... either the 7-night Tahiti & Society Islands or 10-night Society Islands & Tuamotus. The fare difference is only about $1800 between the two choices for a Category C cabin. Makes the cost per day enticing.

I have a specific cabin in mind so I need to get the reservation done ASAP in hopes of getting the one I want so any suggestions on cruise choice would be greatly appreciated! I don't mind doing the legwork but I think working with a TA might be smart for this trip. Thoughts?

As our first PG cruise I'll have plenty of questions so please bear with me. CC was hugely helpful during my planning for a Mediterranean cruise we took 2 years ago.

Thanks in advance!

We got off the ship today after the 10 day cruise. This was our 6th time and would definitely suggest the 10 day option. The E cabins are perfect and much more economical. Let the ship be your balcony. .

As so much of the cost is the airfare you go as long as you can .... if you can afford the 10 day .... do it!

I see that John and Patti are traveling from Orlando, so jet lag is a consideration. A 7-day cruise with a couple of days pre-cruise before in, say, Moorea will allow them to be mostly over the jet lag when they board. With the 10-day cruise without a pre-cruise they will be aboard my favorite ship in the world as they get over the jet lag. For me this is a tough call. Best is a few days pre-cruise and the 10-day cruise, but perhaps they don't have that kind of time. We also like to overnight in LAX on the way out.

I have frequently said that the 7-day is the perfect intro to the islands. Perfect high islands, not much sea time, intense. But you must do a pre-cruise, preferably 3 nights at least, to relax and acclimatize. If time is not an issue, the 10-day is lovely too, but still try to manage a pre-cruise too, even a night or two. And that overnight in LA really helps.

Oh, and our 40th will be in 2020, so you never know!

Thanks for the replies!

I’m definitely considering a 2-3 day pre-cruise stay, probably the IC Tahiti for convenience although looking at Moorea, too. Likely will not do an overnight near LAX though.

Like the looks of the IC Tahiti premium Motu OWB rooms as another check off the old bucket list.

Would love, love to do a pre-cruise stay in an Otemanu view OWB at IC Thalossa in Bora Bora but tough to justify.

Like the looks of the IC Tahiti premium Motu OWB rooms as another check off the old bucket list.

Would love, love to do a pre-cruise stay in an Otemanu view OWB at IC Thalossa in Bora Bora but tough to justify.

Someone else will have to give their opinion of the OWB's at the IC. And yes, everybody wants to stay in Bora Bora, but Moorea is much more economical and just as beautiful. And easier to get to.

We did the 10-day Itinerary for our 25th in 2013 and would definitely suggest the longer cruise, since you will be flying half way around the world to get there. We had booked the night before at IC Tahiti through PG and were upgraded to an OWB. Wish that we had been able to enjoy it for more than 12 hours. Even for such a short time, it was a fabulous experience!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Someone else will have to give their opinion of the OWB's at the IC. And yes, everybody wants to stay in Bora Bora, but Moorea is much more economical and just as beautiful. And easier to get to.

I think a few people stayed in the IC OWBs last year and said they were nice compared to the old ones. We stayed in the old ones in 2014.

I personally think Bora Bora is stunning compared to Moorea. The mountain and the lagoon are breathtaking. I love Moorea too and would stay there for economic reasons. But, if cost was not an issue would be thrilled to stay at the BB Thalasso again.

Of course, the question of what is "beautiful" is completely subjective. But I sometimes joke that lots of people think Bora Bora is the most beautiful place on the planet, and I'm happy to let them keep thinking that. Then they won't come and over-run what really is the most beautiful place on the planet: Moorea. But I think that much more research on this question is required, which involves many more trips to both!

Of course, the question of what is "beautiful" is completely subjective. But I sometimes joke that lots of people think Bora Bora is the most beautiful place on the planet, and I'm happy to let them keep thinking that. Then they won't come and over-run what really is the most beautiful place on the planet: Moorea. But I think that much more research on this question is required, which involves many more trips to both!

David the diplomat ...

Absolutely! Unfortunately, we wont be back before 2021.

5 years ago we did the 7 days, and 3 night post cruise in Moorea. It was a lovely trip. This time in January we will be doing 2 nights pre cruise at the IC , 7 day cruise, and again 3 nights in Moorea. We really enjoyed Moorea, but I guess it is all personal preference. It is so convient to hop on the ferry.

Congrats on 50!! What an achievement! And what a fun surprise for your wife!

We are doing our first FP cruise on the PG in October of 2020. We are coming from the east coast as well. We are doing 10 days because we felt if we are going that far we might as well do a longer cruise, especially with the price difference between the two not being that much (well, compared to the overall price anyway).

Congrats on 50!! What an achievement! And what a fun surprise for your wife!

We are doing our first FP cruise on the PG in October of 2020. We are coming from the east coast as well. We are doing 10 days because we felt if we are going that far we might as well do a longer cruise, especially with the price difference between the two not being that much (well, compared to the overall price anyway).

Thanks, Cindivan. I always tell people my wife deserves a medal for having that much patience! :p

Coming from the east coast, are you planning on a pre-cruise stay anywhere?

We also just booked the 10 day cruise in October 2020 and decided that traveling all that way from the east coast that the 10 day was a better way to go than the 7 day. We are planning on staying in LA overnight and then 2 nights at the International Tahiti before the cruise. We will be celebrating our 25th, long way to go till 50, Congrats on your 50th!

Thanks, Cindivan. I always tell people my wife deserves a medal for having that much patience! :p

Coming from the east coast, are you planning on a pre-cruise stay anywhere?

Hutchinj - I think any couple that makes it to 50 both deserve an award! That is not an easy or common accomplishment and blessing.

We are still in the very early stages of planning but based on what I have read so far we will probably do a couple days in Moorea. I don’t think we will do a night in CA where we will most likely connect. We tend to just rather tough it out and get to where we are going and have a day or two with a good amount of downtime to help us acclimate to the time. Then we get on the PG we should be adjusted enough to enjoy each stop.

Incidentally we will be celebrating our 26th in 2020 so working our way there!

Number8 - when are you going? We are doing the October 14 sailing.

We are also doing the October 14th cruise. Trying to talk some friends into joining us but as of now it's just us. Lots of vacations in between now and then, but we cant wait for this trip!!

Fun we will be on the same cruise! Larro9 is also on that cruise.

We might have two couples joining us. We shall see. It’s a ways off but they say probably and we will all be empty nesters by then.

Hutchinj I think this is a sign you need to do the October 14 cruise with us and number8 and Larro9!

Many thanks to all those who provided tips and suggestions in this thread.

I've finally settled on a 7-night PG cruise (7 July 2020) with 1-night pre-cruise at the IC Tahiti and 4-nights post-cruise at the St Regis Bora Bora. As this is definitely a "bucket list" trip for us (celebrating our 50th anniv in 2020) I wanted it to be something very special. I have no doubt it will be!

Yeh, the cruise is a long way off but I enjoy the prior planning and CC and TripAdvisor are invaluable assets.

I am SO excited! And yes, "she" still doesn't know anything about this. :D