2019....Finally going to take my 2nd River Cruise......now the question is..........

Lois R

……….Which one?:D……..I took my first one back in 2016 and have been saying I want to go another one!

My first one was on AMA called TULIP TIME and I LOVED IT.:D…...I travel solo and it was still very easy for me to meet others and the tours small, staff and food were terrific too.

There are so many itineraries to choose from and so just looking for some input from those of you who also enjoy river cruising.:D I have been looking at Paris on the Seine but found something with Tauck. Milan/Amsterdam

or vice versa . This is on the Rhine. I know they are more $$$ but have always heard wonderful things about them.

Thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated:D

I have heard many good things about Tauck, except for some recent reviews that were not so good. If you want a guided trip from start to finish, this Milan to Amsterdam itinerary can't be beat. The only thing it misses is Lucerne, which we preferred to either Zurich or Basel. But combining Milan, the Italian Lakes, Switzerland – and then a Rhine cruise: priceless!

We will also be taking our second river cruise in 2019 but we will be going on Viking on their Danube Waltz with a pre stay in Budapest and a post stay in Prague. Our first river cruise was down the Rhine. Looking forward to our next one!

We enjoyed our first river cruise a few years ago (Amsterdam to Basel on Avalon).

We haven't booked yet, but are considering a cruise with Scenic (friends recommendation) from Paris to Nice. A few days in Paris, then a cruise. Now to check the finances.:)

We enjoyed our first river cruise a few years ago (Amsterdam to Basel on Avalon).

We haven't booked yet, but are considering a cruise with Scenic (friends recommendation) from Paris to Nice. A few days in Paris, then a cruise. Now to check the finances.:)

Good morning, oh...……...that sounds different too...….Paris to Nice? Scenic is supposed to be very good as well. What is that cruise called? You know how the usually put a title on the itineraries?

I have heard many good things about Tauck, except for some recent reviews that were not so good. If you want a guided trip from start to finish, this Milan to Amsterdam itinerary can't be beat. The only thing it misses is Lucerne, which we preferred to either Zurich or Basel. But combining Milan, the Italian Lakes, Switzerland – and then a Rhine cruise: priceless!

Hi Jazz:)……….thanks for your input. I will look a bit more closely at this one......the one thing I did notice is many of the spring/summer dates are already sold out (I guess I should not be surprised). Do you know how this cruise would be in the month of October? (Weather wise) as opposed to June?

What about APT - they have superb exclusive experiences with their cruises

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HI, isn't APT part of the AMA family?

What about APT - they have superb exclusive experiences with their cruises

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi, I just googled them...…..looks very interesting too!...…..they do more that River Cruising (from what I can tell).

Have you looked at Crystal? I'm not sure what kind of solo cruiser offerings they have. They do have, what I think, is a great itinerary leaving on 5/28/19, which sails the Rhine and Moselle. Our TA just returned from his first Crystal River Cruise and said it was fabulous.

Robin

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Have you looked at Crystal? I'm not sure what kind of solo cruiser offerings they have. They do have, what I think, is a great itinerary leaving on 5/28/19, which sails the Rhine and Moselle. Our TA just returned from his first Crystal River Cruise and said it was fabulous.

Robin

Hi Robin:)…….thanks for the suggestion. I will take a look at them too...….I had perused them before but not very intensely. As for the 5/28 date? There is only one time during the month I cannot take off.:eek:..….the end. So that would be out...…..but I will go see what else they have to offer:)

Hi Robin:)…….thanks for the suggestion. I will take a look at them too...….I had perused them before but not very intensely. As for the 5/28 date? There is only one time during the month I cannot take off.:eek:..….the end. So that would be out...…..but I will go see what else they have to offer:)
I forgot about your date needs:). They do offer that same cruise a few more times

Robin

Good morning, oh...……...that sounds different too...….Paris to Nice? Scenic is supposed to be very good as well. What is that cruise called? You know how the usually put a title on the itineraries?

According to my Scenic "Hidden Wonders of Europe River Cruising" (got it from my TA) it's called Spectacular South of France. The cruise from Nice to Paris is Enchanting Rhone.

Hope that helps.

Crystal is wonderful for solo cruisers. I've done the Mozart twice. It sails just on the Danube as the boat is twice as wide as the regular European river boats and can't get through the locks on the Rhine, etc. The boat being wider makes it so much more spacious. Many of the Mozart cruises focus on Vienna and Budapest plus other interesting places. Budapest is a fabulous city. I had no idea until I went there.

According to my Scenic "Hidden Wonders of Europe River Cruising" (got it from my TA) it's called Spectacular South of France. The cruise from Nice to Paris is Enchanting Rhone.

Hope that helps.

Hi, thanks for the tip:)......I checked both cruises and the dates on each don't work......and not sure if you read anything on the Scenic website but under FAQ section.....for dress code it says women are REQUIRED to bring a dress/skirt......that is something I have never seen on any of the River cruises...…..they are making a person bring a dress? What if said person doesn't do dresses?:eek:

No, I didn't see that on the FAQs. And my friend didn't mention it. I'll have to ask.

We've only done 1 river cruise, and it was fairly casual. Actually, we ended up spending a fair amount of time with 2 other couples, and on the last night everyone was a little more dressed up, and we all commented that it was because we brought dresses (or skirts, and jackets for the guys) and we decided to wear them. We all said next time, NO dresses or jackets. That was Avalon.

But, if the dates don't work for you, it doesn't matter. Good luck with whatever cruise you select.

No, I didn't see that on the FAQs. And my friend didn't mention it. I'll have to ask.

We've only done 1 river cruise, and it was fairly casual. Actually, we ended up spending a fair amount of time with 2 other couples, and on the last night everyone was a little more dressed up, and we all commented that it was because we brought dresses (or skirts, and jackets for the guys) and we decided to wear them. We all said next time, NO dresses or jackets. That was Avalon.

But, if the dates don't work for you, it doesn't matter. Good luck with whatever cruise you select.

Hi, I know it doesn't matter for this one but I just meant overall...….usually all river cruises are very casual and I have never read anything on any of them that has said a dress/skirt is "required clothing".

I usually wear a nice pair of slacks for dinner anyway......but I am just not a "Dress" gal.....not meaning I don't enjoy getting a bit dressed up:D….I do, but in pants...….

Anyway, thanks for the help:)

Crystal is wonderful for solo cruisers. I've done the Mozart twice. It sails just on the Danube as the boat is twice as wide as the regular European river boats and can't get through the locks on the Rhine, etc. The boat being wider makes it so much more spacious. Many of the Mozart cruises focus on Vienna and Budapest plus other interesting places. Budapest is a fabulous city. I had no idea until I went there.

Hi, thanks for your input:) I will check them out for sure. I did see some items on the website. The crew/guest ratio looks very good and I know the riverboats are very new too!

Hi, thanks for your input:) I will check them out for sure. I did see some items on the website. The crew/guest ratio looks very good and I know the riverboats are very new too!

All their other river boats are brand new, however, the Mozart isn't. BUT is was taken down to the studs when Crystal got it, so it reality, everything you see is new.

All their other river boats are brand new, however, the Mozart isn't. BUT is was taken down to the studs when Crystal got it, so it reality, everything you see is new.

I see a few choices that look interesting....April and May. Quite a few week choices with a couple of 10 dayers.

I have never been to Vienna or Budapest. Germany doesn't do anything for me but I do see multiple cruises

without it included....the riverboats look pretty amazing.

I see on the other thread you mentioned you are doing a b2b on the Rhine? Which weeks?

Hi, thanks for the tip:)......I checked both cruises and the dates on each don't work......and not sure if you read anything on the Scenic website but under FAQ section.....for dress code it says women are REQUIRED to bring a dress/skirt......that is something I have never seen on any of the River cruises...…..they are making a person bring a dress? What if said person doesn't do dresses?:eek:

Lois, you might be required to bring a dress, but you don't have to wear it 😉

I've been to a Scenic information presentation and they were quite specific about the dress code not being stuffy. And chances are you will probably never see the other passengers again and they probably won't be able to describe anything you wore, or care.

The 13 day Legendary Rhine and Moselle is a cruise I can highly recommend.

RB

Actually since they increased cabin sizes during the refit – even many of the studs were removed!

We just returned from the Viking Paris to the Swiss Alps cruise, which we did in the reverse direction. We also added the Switzerland pre cruise extension. It went from Geneva to Zermatt to Zurich and included a 1st class ride on the Glacier Express across Switzerland. It was an amazing extension. I highly recommend it.

There is a recent review here on CC with pics of a Tauck Seine Cruise and the poster and her mom absolutely loved it. Special meals in restaurants and special excursions. I’m thinking May or June 2018

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is a recent review here on CC with pics of a Tauck Seine Cruise and the poster and her mom absolutely loved it. Special meals in restaurants and special excursions. I’m thinking May or June 2018

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think I saw that one...….they did a cruise and a land trip together....(I think)…….and yes, she gave the trip very positive reviews.....I was looking at that on the Tauck site but it is longer than I was looking for and so I will keep looking. It does look like a wonderful trip though:)