TakResiuc

Koblenz, Germany on Viking Rhine Getaway Options

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]Sailing this October with Viking River - on Kara.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]I am having a tough time deciding on which tour to do the day we arrive in Koblenz.

Traveling Party - 2 Gal Pals having a blast together. Early 40's[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]The choices are
Included
Marksburg Castle
[/SIZE][/FONT]

[LEFT][COLOR=#1d2129][FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]Optional Tours[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=4][LEFT][COLOR=#1d2129]Ehrenbreitstein Fortress $49pp[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#1d2129] Koblenz Walking Tour $49pp[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#1d2129] Dine in Rüdesheim am Rhein $79pp (only one spot left, hoping for an opening)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#1d2129] Wine Tasting & Dinner at Eberbach Monastery $149pp

Any insight would be so helpful.
First time River Cruise- First Time European trip.[/COLOR][/LEFT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

We sailed on Viking Kvasir Amsterdam to Basel on the Rhine Getaway earlier this month (July 4-11). We did the included Marksburg Castle tour in Koblenz and enjoyed it very much. That said, there is a lot of uneven rocky pavement, on slopes, where you need to take your time and be careful not to fall. We were grateful that the weather was dry, because if the stones had been wet they would have been very slippery, and I'm not sure I would have made it (even with hiking sandals on!). There should be a short video on the Viking website that you can watch (if not on the main site then via My Viking Journey). Our guide was wonderful and allowed plenty of time for everyone to make their way up and down these slopes as well as the stairs and steps we had to climb. The tour is marked as "strenuous" by Viking, so my husband almost backed out, but he didn't and was very glad he made the decision to go. So I would recommend the Marksburg Castle tour!

[quote name='TakResiuc'][FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]Sailing this October with Viking River - on Kara.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]I am having a tough time deciding on which tour to do the day we arrive in Koblenz.

Traveling Party - 2 Gal Pals having a blast together. Early 40's[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]The choices are
Included
Marksburg Castle
[/SIZE][/FONT]

[LEFT][COLOR=#1d2129][FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]Optional Tours[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=4][LEFT][COLOR=#1d2129]Ehrenbreitstein Fortress $49pp[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#1d2129] Koblenz Walking Tour $49pp[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#1d2129] Dine in Rüdesheim am Rhein $79pp (only one spot left, hoping for an opening)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#1d2129] Wine Tasting & Dinner at Eberbach Monastery $149pp

Any insight would be so helpful.
First time River Cruise- First Time European trip.[/COLOR][/LEFT]
[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]
Don't bother spending the money for the Ehrenbreitstein fortress. You can ride the cable car over the River on your own and go to the lookout. The fortress is nothing spectacular.
Have great cruise,
RB

[quote name='Ritabob']Don't bother spending the money for the Ehrenbreitstein fortress. You can ride the cable car over the River on your own and go to the lookout. The fortress is nothing spectacular.
Have great cruise,
RB[/quote]

Thank you for your input. This was the one I was most curious about. :) :D

[quote name='CarolynFH']We sailed on Viking Kvasir Amsterdam to Basel on the Rhine Getaway earlier this month (July 4-11). We did the included Marksburg Castle tour in Koblenz and enjoyed it very much. That said, there is a lot of uneven rocky pavement, on slopes, where you need to take your time and be careful not to fall. We were grateful that the weather was dry, because if the stones had been wet they would have been very slippery, and I'm not sure I would have made it (even with hiking sandals on!). There should be a short video on the Viking website that you can watch (if not on the main site then via My Viking Journey). Our guide was wonderful and allowed plenty of time for everyone to make their way up and down these slopes as well as the stairs and steps we had to climb. The tour is marked as "strenuous" by Viking, so my husband almost backed out, but he didn't and was very glad he made the decision to go. So I would recommend the Marksburg Castle tour![/quote]

Thank you for your description and tips.. I was curious about the difficulty level as well, seems they err on the side of caution.

Marksburg is a challenge only for those with mobility issues. We're in our 70s and had no issues. People on walkers & canes have problems, not people in their 40s. Great tour.

[quote name='Ritabob']Don't bother spending the money for the Ehrenbreitstein fortress. You can ride the cable car over the River on your own and go to the lookout. The fortress is nothing spectacular.
Have great cruise,
RB[/quote]

A while back, on another thread, I posted surprise that a walking tour of Koblenz had a cost. I was informed that Viking did not dock in Koblenz on some itineraries. If this is the case on OP's cruise, then just going across the river on the cable car may not be doable.

FWIW, I have not cruised with Viking. I also very much enjoyed Marksburg Castle. I agree it shouldn't be difficult for 40 somethings as long as they wear decent walking shoes.

The OP is on a Rhine Cruise. The previous thread had a different docking place, and taking the Koblenz option was the only chance to see the Moselle. But I looked today, and the Rhine Getaway actually docks in Koblenz, so I don't understand the charge for a walking tour.

Thank you all for your input. My companion and I have decided on the Marksburg Castle tour. :)
With appropriate footware :D

[quote name='gnome12']The OP is on a Rhine Cruise. The previous thread had a different docking place, and taking the Koblenz option was the only chance to see the Moselle. But I looked today, and the Rhine Getaway actually docks in Koblenz, so I don't understand the charge for a walking tour.[/quote]

We cruised on Viking Kvasir Amsterdam to Basel July 4-11. On Saturday the 7th we cruised right past Koblenz (had a nice view of the Eck) in the morning, then docked in Braubach around 8:00 AM with a fine view of Marksburg Castle. Those who had signed up for the walking tour of Koblenz boarded a bus at 8:15, while those touring Marksburg Castle didn't leave until 8:45 and the group for Ehrenbreitstein Fortress not until 9:15. The ship remained docked in Braubach until everyone had returned.

So far as I know, the only way to visit Koblenz would have been on the optional (extra cost) tour. Maybe the direction of the cruise (A-B vs. B-A) makes a difference?

On our 2016 Viking A-B We were offered the [SIZE=3]Ehrenbreitstein fortress as an included tour - as an option to the Marksburg Castle excursion. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]It included the cable car up to fortress and then a walking tour - which was a one of the best tours of the trip. The "Tour guide" was an actor dressed as a english military engineer/spy was incredibly entertaining as he walked us through the 1000 year history of the fortress. Bus picked us up at the conclusion and took us back to boat. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]We thoroughly enjoyed it, and the views were amazing of the river(s)![/SIZE]

knoxclone,

I have heard of this. The actor/guide is called the "eternal soldier". I have not been on this guided tour myself but have heard good things about it. It is offered to locals/tourists at certain days of the year. Interesting that Viking booked him for the fortress tour. I would say that the fortress can be better understood with somebody explaining the history so it is a good idea of Viking. I agree that the view is great.

notamermaid