Expect Delays In NJ Driving To And From The Lincoln Tunnel For Next 2 1/2 Years !

njhorseman

4 hours ago, njhorseman said:

No, the problem being caused by the construction project being discussed in this thread will affect your trip from Newark Airport to Manhattan, not from Manhattan to Brooklyn. A taxi or car service or Uber from your hotel to Brooklyn will be easy.

To get to Manhattan from EWR there are options including train and airport express his service in addition to taking a car service.

Thanks, njhorseman.  Your response very much help if we fly into Newark.  We haven’t booked airfare yet and realized we have no idea which airport we should consider flying into.  Never had to consider three airports before. La Guardia is closest to the hotel but it sounds like it could be choatic with all of the construction.

any thoughts?

19 hours ago, Northern Light said:

Thanks, njhorseman.  Your response very much help if we fly into Newark.  We haven’t booked airfare yet and realized we have no idea which airport we should consider flying into.  Never had to consider three airports before. La Guardia is closest to the hotel but it sounds like it could be choatic with all of the construction.

any thoughts?

Since you're staying in Manhattan for several days prior to your cruise, the construction issues at LGA are far less important than they are for someone flying in the day of their cruise. For you it would at worst be an annoyance/inconvenience. Because you're not under constraints affecting your ability to board the ship on time, there's no reason to rule out flying into LGA if fares are significantly lower than they would be to EWR and JFK. 

Your first step should be to review airline fares and schedules. When you find acceptable options, the next step is finding out about the ground transportation options and prices, which differ somewhat from airport to airport. Unfortunately it requires a little work to put the airfare and ground transportation options together to come up with the right mix of cost and convenience for you. 

• 2 weeks later...

Following is just a FYI, not exactly sure where to post this - it affects mostly those on the NY side near the Lincoln Tunnel (going to / from) from the Times Square/West Side of midtown Manhattan - with this new traffic flow on 11th Avenue, starting this month.  Remains unseen, updated and reports from fellow CC'er will be helpful in the coming weeks, is how it affect traffic heading to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal on 12th Avenue @ W. 55th Street.  

11th Avenue (is now southbound only - a dedicated bike lane is coming shortly) has been providing 2 way traffic flow between W. 57th Street and 40th Street, near one of the entrances to the Lincolon Tunnel, used for Cape Liberty & EWR (Newark Int'l Airport) and visitors, tourists and commuters in the midtown Manhattan/Times Square area with its numerous hotels.  

Thus far, indications are that it's diverting traffic northbound traffic to 12th Avenue and 10th Avenue; and, on busier ship/port days around MCT (Manhattan Cruise Terminal) - it can possibly result in extra delays & confusion for drivers unaware of the changes and/or missed the signage putting up, etc. (i.e. driving across town, coming out of the Lincoln Tunnel & used to drive north on 11th Avenue to the pier, etc.) 

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/06/24/11th-ave-construction-resumes/

https://pix11.com/2019/06/05/nyc-suddenly-changes-11th-avenue-traffic-to-one-way/

Google Maps/Waze real-time GPS assisted navigation has incorporated their map guidance for drivers using it to get around (Garmin maps, including satellite-aided GPS guidance ... might take a little longer to update their data).  Traffic on 11th Avenue (known as West End Avenue further uptown ... Columbus Circle area, north of 57th Street remains 2-way traffic, 2 lanes each direction and flow nicely on weekends - fewer delivery trucks & commercial traffic)

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

coming out of the Lincoln Tunnel & used to drive north on 11th Avenue to the pier,

Thanks.

There are actually people who used 11th Ave northbound to get to the cruise terminal from the Lincoln Tunnel?:classic_huh:

Never did it myself...always use 10th or 12th and always used 10th or 12th in directions I gave to others.

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Wow..  I know the roads in NJ are constantly in flux but that sounds like a giant mess for a long time.

Wondering if the construction is finished or continuing as we will be Coming down from the North on 95 heading for Cape Liberty in Jan. 2021 it might be a good idea to avoid the whole 495 area and approach Bayonne from a different direction??? 

Not that familiar with the Jersey area and the trip down from upstate NY seems to change and confuse each time we do it.. LOL.

Edited by boscobeans

1 hour ago, boscobeans said:

Wow..  I know the roads in NJ are constantly in flux but that sounds like a giant mess for a long time.

Wondering if the construction is finished or continuing as we will be Coming down from the North on 95 heading for Cape Liberty in Jan. 2021 it might be a good idea to avoid the whole 495 area and approach Bayonne from a different direction??? 

Not that familiar with the Jersey area and the trip down from upstate NY seems to change and confuse each time we do it.. LOL.

Google maps or waze will direct you the fastest way, right now 95 to 78.

2 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Google maps or waze will direct you the fastest way, right now 95 to 78.

That's what we have been doing for a while and especially since the Chosin Few Way was completed, it is very easy and straight forward right to the port..

I was just wondering if the area around Secaucus where 495 and 95 meet is involved in the road closing this post is all about. 

It is from 2018 and we will be headed  down in 2021,

7 hours ago, boscobeans said:

5 hours ago, boscobeans said:

That's what we have been doing for a while and especially since the Chosin Few Way was completed, it is very easy and straight forward right to the port..

I was just wondering if the area around Secaucus where 495 and 95 meet is involved in the road closing this post is all about. 

It is from 2018 and we will be headed  down in 2021,

This road construction project should have no impact on your trip to Cape Liberty. You shouldn't normally be getting off the NJ Turnpike at this interchange...you should  be continuing south of this area on the turnpike and normally would be getting off at Exit 14. The construction project isn't on the turnpike, it's on 495.

Edited by njhorseman

1 minute ago, njhorseman said:

This road construction project should have no impact on your trip to Cape Liberty. You shouldn't normally be getting off the NJ Turnpike at this interchange...you should  be continuing south of this area on the turnpike and normally would be getting off at Exit 14. 

Thanks

I know we don't have to get off the Tpke but was worried if there was any collatreral damge to it due to what seems like a big job on 495.

By the time our Jersey cruise takes place who knows what will be next for the existing roads..  If they improve the trip to the port like the Chosin Few Way did all would be great.  LOL

Thanks again for the knowledgeable response .

Henry

Looking for car service suggestions and information.  We will land at EWR at 6:45pm on Friday Nov. 8 and need to get to our hotel in Midtown Manhattan.  Trains and buses won't work for my elderly mother and our luggage.  Any idea how long it will take at the time on a Friday night?  And what range would a car service fare be?  Any recommendations in addition to Dial 7 or Carmel Limo? Or should I see what he hotel concierge can arrange for us?

We will be going back to EWR from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal on Friday Nov. 15.  Our flight to Burlington is at 3:00, but it sounds like we should get a car service to take us to EWR in the morning when we get off the ship.  Any ideas on what time we should make the car service reservation?

8 minutes ago, herdingdogmom said:

Looking for car service suggestions and information.  We will land at EWR at 6:45pm on Friday Nov. 8 and need to get to our hotel in Midtown Manhattan.  Trains and buses won't work for my elderly mother and our luggage.  Any idea how long it will take at the time on a Friday night?  And what range would a car service fare be?  Any recommendations in addition to Dial 7 or Carmel Limo? Or should I see what he hotel concierge can arrange for us?

We will be going back to EWR from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal on Friday Nov. 15.  Our flight to Burlington is at 3:00, but it sounds like we should get a car service to take us to EWR in the morning when we get off the ship.  Any ideas on what time we should make the car service reservation?

Would you mind reposting this on either it's own thread or the Cape Liberty and NY 411 thread? This thread is for discussion of traffic congestion being caused by a specific construction project in New Jersey, and I'd prefer that it doesn't wander off onto off topic tangents . Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to provide a brief update, I drove into Manhattan on Sunday morning, October 6, and returned on Sunday morning October 13. As I have found in the past, traffic on 495 is not disrupted by the construction project at low traffic hours, such as Sunday mornings.

• 2 weeks later...

We will be staying in Edison NJ, and driving in to The NCL Bliss on  Friday December 20th. A couple of questions.

1) would we be better going the Lincoln Tunnel, and should we get up early or try leaving after 9 am.

2) would we be better taking the GW BRIDGE , and come up the west side hgwy?

will they stop the construction for the holiday?

35 minutes ago, b7440 said:

We will be staying in Edison NJ, and driving in to The NCL Bliss on  Friday December 20th. A couple of questions.

1) would we be better going the Lincoln Tunnel, and should we get up early or try leaving after 9 am.

Leave no earlier than 9 am in order to miss the peak rush hour traffic. Listen to traffic reports on  WCBS 880 (traffic and weather "on the 8s") and WINS 1010 (traffic and weather "on the 1s") and pick the best route based on the actual conditions that morning. The delays due to other factors such as accidents or vehicle breakdowns can often be worse than anything caused by construction.

Since Dec. 20 isn't a holiday I would assume construction would be taking place that day.

FYI...if you take the GW Bridge you'll be going "down" the West Side Highway as you'll be headed from uptown toward downtown.

Edited by njhorseman

10 hours ago, b7440 said:

Use google maps or waze, if the times are similar, I’d take the GWB, it’s a nicer ride and easier to get into port because it will be on your right. Definitely wait until after rush hour. You will probably be directed to the tunnel.

since dec 20 is a gridlock day (the roll call alerted me to this) https://www1.nyc.gov/events/gridlock-alert-day/81632/1

is coming in 78 to 95 to the tunnel still the best route? i cannot even fathom the time would take if we did the holland but with me not knowing about the construction i was curious if that could be smarter

5 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

since dec 20 is a gridlock day (the roll call alerted me to this) https://www1.nyc.gov/events/gridlock-alert-day/81632/1

is coming in 78 to 95 to the tunnel still the best route? i cannot even fathom the time would take if we did the holland but with me not knowing about the construction i was curious if that could be smarter

Since you're only going to be driving on the far west side of Manhattan regardless of whether you take the Holland Tunnel, Lincoln Tunnel or GW Bridge I wouldn't worry too much about it being a gridlock alert day. If you were trying to drive in the heart of midtown it would be a different story. Unless you learn of traffic conditions warranting a different route that morning when you're driving in I'd advise sticking with your original plans. 

18 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Leave no earlier than 9 am in order to miss the peak rush hour traffic. Listen to traffic reports on  WCBS 880 (traffic and weather "on the 8s") and WINS 1010 (traffic and weather "on the 1s") and pick the best route based on the actual conditions that morning. The delays due to other factors such as accidents or vehicle breakdowns can often be worse than anything caused by construction.

Since Dec. 20 isn't a holiday I would assume construction would be taking place that day.

FYI...if you take the GW Bridge you'll be going "down" the West Side Highway as you'll be headed from uptown toward downtown.

Thks for the info, your right about going “down” always get that back wards!

when is the construction going to be finished?

35 minutes ago, b7440 said:

Thks for the info, your right about going “down” always get that back wards!

when is the construction going to be finished?

Per the originally announced plans this project will last at least through the end of 2020 or perhaps early 2021. However there's an even more extensive rehabilitation project for 495 being planned so I think we're going to see significant construction on this highway for several years .

If you live in the NY City metropolitan area you're only surprised when there isn't a major construction project underway on at least one highway you use frequently . :classic_biggrin:

Edited by njhorseman

gf and i decided to drive to NYC for dinner saturday (was only 120 miles and Juniors on 45th is so worth it so why not lol) and i can confirm indeed that coming in my normal way was nothing major at all (from 78). i park mere blocks from the tunnel when i go in NYC and  i have to admit i just follow what waze says on the way out. waze was doing something really weird. i was at 45th and 9th i think. it wanted to take me around in circles but there was some kind of shortcut to the right.i have no clue how i really went. but it did seem like getting back to the tunnel was different than before. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have the weekend to explore Manhattan before my cruise Dec 2nd. Ill be stayng in NJ for the weekend. I do not want to drive my truck in and out of Manhattan, thinking of using the PATH train from Hoboken to nyc is this an easy thing to do?? Parking close to terminal??

On 11/18/2019 at 9:39 AM, racetech said:

I have the weekend to explore Manhattan before my cruise Dec 2nd. Ill be stayng in NJ for the weekend. I do not want to drive my truck in and out of Manhattan, thinking of using the PATH train from Hoboken to nyc is this an easy thing to do?? Parking close to terminal??

I have no idea about parking lots near PATH in Hoboken, but if you want your question to get some attention from someone who might know you would be better served by posting in on its own thread, because this one is about road construction near the Lincoln Tunnel.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update this, we were driven into Manhattan on a Monday morning at about 10 am and returned to NJ on a Friday morning at about 11 am, and in neither case did the 495 construction impede traffic. 

So even on a weekday it doesn't appear that the construction project has a big impact when you travel outside of rush hour.