Which Mekong river cruises are docking at HCM and crossing Tonle Sap?

easteregg7

Most of the Mekong river cruises appear to not really go to Ho Chi Minh City. Instead they embark from My Tho, which is a village on the Mekong River. HCMC is actually on the Saigon River (not the Mekong). There do exist canals for boat travel. So my question is are there any river cruises that actually go up the canal and really dock right at HCMC? That would be my preference to avoid an 2hr bus ride, unless someone has a reason why docking on the Saigon river in downtown HCMC is a bad idea.

On the other end of the trip, it appears that most of the river cruises stop on the SE end of the Tonle Sap lake, usually around the village of Kampong Chhnang. Of course, it will depend on season and water level, but there are any river cruises that cross the lake toward Siem Reap's port village? Again the cruise boat all the way, sounds better to me than a bus ride.

Avalon goes to Ho Chi Minh city before you embark on the boat. Our 19 day trip starts in Hanoi goes to Ha Long Bay (via transport) and back to Hanoi where we fly to Ho Chi Minh and spend 3 nights there before embarking on the river cruise on the Saigon River.

As far as I can tell from checking Ama, Avalon, Scenic, Viking, Uniworld, Pandaw, and CroisiEurope, the only one that claims to board on Tonle Sap Lake is Croisi. I'm not sure I trust that; I think it likely that many of their trips can't sail the lake. Avalon and Croisi sail all the way to HCMC.

From my own experience on Ama, while the bus from My Tho was fairly boring, we did get in quite early to HCMC. If we had sailed, we would probably have spent a larger portion of the day, and since it is a canal most of the way, I'm not sure how scenic it is. Maybe Terry could comment on that; he sailed Avalon.

Avalon's Southbound trips says they disembark at Ho Chi Minh City.

The 2018 trip which we are taking in November (19 days Hanoi to Bangkok) says we embark at Siem Reap and cruise through the Toni Sap (followed by the usual cautions about water levels).

Interestingly, the identical trip for 2019 says they fly from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh and embark there.

I'll let you know how it goes in November.

Unfortunately it doesn't matter all that much what the brochure says, it is all going to depend on the water level which goes from 'too low' to 'too high' in a short space of time with a brief window of 'just right' in the middle.

I asked our guides while we were there how many times they had actually sailed across the lake even in the rainy season and they said it was not worth trying to book with that in mind as it really wasn't common enough to rely on.

So if it happens accept the good fortune, but plan on it not happening and set expectations accordingly.

When we did this journey several years ago on Heritage line Jayarvaman (they also have Jahan) we went

right across Tonle Sap lake which was really great. The year we went we were on the first journey to do the

crossing in High Water season at the start of August. Obviously it depends on the water level when they are able

to cross the lake. Some companies do not have vessels with the draught necessary to make the lake crossing

and will always have the bus for the final leg to Siem Reap.

The whole trip and the service provided were first class.

I think I read somewhere that Avalon just fly's their pax because they don't want to bus them and the water level of the lake isn't reliable enough to plan to sail.

Appreciate these good questions and the follow-ups. YES, Avalon boarded us right in Ho Chi Minh City. Makes it very handy and nice. Plus, seeing the canal connecting from the Saigon River to the Mekong was very historic and interesting, too. Below on my live/blog, you can many more details, many visuals, etc. A few of those pictures are included below to prove that we enjoyed this experience.

And, in early February 2018, we were flown from Cambodia's capital city to Siem Reap. Much better and easier than a long, long bus ride on marginal roads. For this time of the year, the Tonle Sap Lake water levels are not at a high enough level. Other questions? Happy to share more on my live/blog.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Just completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 30,549 views. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

Here was the sail-away view of the tall buildings and harbor area as our ship was departing from Ho Chi Minh City.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

CMY_0377%206_zpsz7y3j6wf.jpg

As we sailed down the Saigon River, there was an amazing mix of sights and activities. Lots of new, big bridge construction was being completed. Many, many barges carrying construction materials, etc.:

CMY_0388%205_zpsu3pqkaob.jpg

Here was a typical view of the Saigon River action with the construction of new bridge happening in the background, plus seeing so many different ships and barges.:

CMY_0408%204_zpswsnjd0wz.jpg

Yes, we had a great sunset as we sailed along the hand-dug canal that connected us for the 18 miles between the Saigon and Mekong Rivers. This straight-line canal dates backs hundreds of years and was built during the Khmer Empire period. Lots of activity, houses, people, activities, etc., along this fascinating route.:

CMY_0470%202_zpsrcqko3kt.jpg

CMY_0476%201_zpsnqopelyj.jpg

We were on the Mekong Princess with Abercrombie and Kent and docked right in Saigon. The canal into downtown was a very busy waterway and really interesting. By the way, the locals still call the city “Saigon.”

The Tonle Sap River reverses it’s flow at different times of year to fill and drain the Tonle Lake. I believe the lake is most likely to be full during the rainy season, but then of course, you’re traveling in the rainy season. :) I’m not sure about sailing all the way to Siem Reap, but we did not see that offered on any trip we considered.

Much better and easier than a long, long bus ride on marginal roads.

Just as a counter-point, having actually done the 'bus' journey (it was actually a very nice air-conditioned coach with a bathroom), I'd have to say that the roads were generally not 'marginal' the trip didn't actually seem all that long as it was broken up with two stops (one at a nice roadside location with catering, the other at a rubber plantation to see how they 'milk' the trees) and while we've seen enough airports to last a lifetime, we had not seen all the sights of normal Cambodian life that we were able to see during the transfer.

Unless you have physical problems with such a journey, I'd still take the 'bus' over an air transfer every time.

We are sailing with Avalon (Saigon-Siem Reap) beginning November 12th, and hopeful of navigating the Tonle Sap. Avalon utilizes smaller boats, which require less draft. So far, the rainy season (which usually ends in October) has been abundant. You can monitor Mekong River water levels on this website: http://www.monitoring@mrcmekong.org. Very interesting. Dick

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just as a counter-point, having actually done the 'bus' journey (it was actually a very nice air-conditioned coach with a bathroom), I'd have to say that the roads were generally not 'marginal' the trip didn't actually seem all that long as it was broken up with two stops (one at a nice roadside location with catering, the other at a rubber plantation to see how they 'milk' the trees) and while we've seen enough airports to last a lifetime, we had not seen all the sights of normal Cambodian life that we were able to see during the transfer. Unless you have physical problems with such a journey, I'd still take the 'bus' over an air transfer every time.

Glad your bus trip within Cambodia worked out well. In this country of Cambodia, the airports were fairly small, decent and manageable. Not like dealing with giant, mega, sprawling airports such as in Hong Kong, Bangkok, etc. For us, the air flight experience to Siem Reap was very good, short and easy. Appreciate your follow-up and sharing.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 209,566 views for this posting.

• 3 months later...

We embarked on Avalon's Siem Reap on Nov 1st in Siem Reap itself (actually boarded large sampan and sailed out to board the Siem Reap moored out in deeper water). 

We were told ours was the last sailing to do so and future cruises would start in Phnom Penh. Also confirmed what I saw on the Avalon website that all 2019 sailings would start and end in Phnom Penh. Too bad because the Tonle Sap was an interesting experience.

On 8/6/2018 at 3:41 AM, Mark_T said:

Just as a counter-point, having actually done the 'bus' journey (it was actually a very nice air-conditioned coach with a bathroom), I'd have to say that the roads were generally not 'marginal' the trip didn't actually seem all that long as it was broken up with two stops (one at a nice roadside location with catering, the other at a rubber plantation to see how they 'milk' the trees) and while we've seen enough airports to last a lifetime, we had not seen all the sights of normal Cambodian life that we were able to see during the transfer.

Unless you have physical problems with such a journey, I'd still take the 'bus' over an air transfer every time.

I quite agree.  The 4 hour bus trip from Kampong Cham to Siem Reap was quite pleasant with a couple of interesting stops.  Additionally, by flying from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap we would have missed two days of sailing up the Mekong to Kampong Cham with excursions to fascinating villages and temples along the way.

I certainly preferred that itinerary to a flight, however short, and all the hassle that might have involved.