Inconsiderate Cruisers

inforem

To the poster that thinks the OP may be exaggerating... I have a 4 year old. When she and her cousins get together (5 under 5), they act like wild banshees. I can totally see the type of behavior happening with my own daughter and nephews. With one exception - they act like goons in appropriate places (backyards, my mother-in-law's, etc).

Having said that, we are the parents that will haul our daughter out of a place if she's misbehaving. She gets one warning and that's it. We parent our kid (even on vacation - probably moreso because there are other people around! I don't want to be the parent that everyone whispers about, haha) and take every opportunity to teach her about how to behave in public places (the ones not geared for kids. She can go wild in parks, etc) and how to behave around other adults.

If this were happening next to me, whether or not our kid was with us, forget kids will be kids. You bet your hiney I'm calling guest relations and then security.

Inconsiderate cruises can be found throughout the ship and not exclusive to one gender, age or nationality. I want to hear the entertainers not the persons sitting behind me. People rush onto the elevator while others try to exit. And manners at the Buffet are non existent to some.

The pax "rushing" the elevators on our Oceania cruise was my only complaint. My response finally became "Excuse me, there's plenty of time for you to get to the lifeboats, & you men will have ample time to slip into women's clothing to get first seating on the lifeboats" It always brought great laughter to those of trying to exit!

I'm having trouble figuring out if you're criticizing the kids, the adults drinking beer or both.

I’m pointing out inappropriate behavior is common at all ages. Signs by the pool state no jumping/diving etc at that depth. The kids participating in the behavior can read.

Signs by the pool clearly state no bottles, yet there were adults in the pool with glass.

Those rules or signs are there for good reason. Both are potentially dangerous to themselves and others. IMO

However, I believe it’s very challenging for kids to learn appropriate behavior if they are not taught such and given full boundaries and then have them enforced.

You can see the same lack of supervision and discipline every day in stores, restaurants, parks - pretty much anywhere. I was born in 1954. My parents would never put up with my misbehaving in public. If I did so I might not regret it immediately but sure would when we got home. It's taken a couple of generations but there seems to be a sea change in that area. "Parents" nowadays don't want to stifle the child's creativity or their "right" to free expression. And all too often if another adult says anything about it they wind up as the bad guy.

I'm the same age as you. If we stepped out of line in public, we were disciplined on the spot. None of the old "Just you wait until your father gets home" My mother was 4ft 11in.& if you've never been whacked with a Curling broom, trust me, it get's your attention real fast!

My no parenting issue occurred recently at an upscale resort in St. Thomas. While waiting in line for more plates to be delivered to buffet line, a boy of about 12 cut in front of me and, as soon as the plates were set down, began touching the first plate in each stack with his fingers and then his shirt. I asked him to stop doing this as it was unsanitary. His.mother was standing off to the side and got very confrontational that I would dare correct her child. I told her that if she wouldn’t someone needed too. She called me a nasty naans and huffed off with child in tow. The other people around me thanked me for speaking up. UnfortunTely, no one seems to teach their children manners anymore, nor do they think they should remove a crying child from a restaraunt. I can not count the number of meals I missed due to needing to leave the restaraunt when my child was young. Oh, and if you dine with young children be sure to tip well as you know they are, in all likelihood, leaving a bigger than normal cleanup job for the staff and their meal was probably inexpensive.

Having a food service bus. there's nothing worse then slobs that touch food with their hands. I had one guy on Princess doing that..touching food(fingering through bread & deli meats))I told him to knock it off. He fired off the F bomb at me! Worst thing he could do. I then yelled very loudly for ALL to hear. "Excuse me everyone, but this "Pig" is touching the food with his hands. Do any of you think that is OK?" Do you think he might have Norovirus?" All the other pax began yelling at him. Public shaming does have it's advantages. You just need to know when to do it.

I would contact security and the hotel manager and ask them to talk to handle it. Years ago, you could approach the parents and tell them there children are misbehaving and they would straighten the kids out. These days, there's a good chance that the parents will get angry at you for criticizing their kids.

I am not a confrontational person. They should have enough common sense to control their children. Not my job. :(

As a parent of a 12 year old I have raised my child to be respectful of herself, others, and other people's property. I have no qualms whatsoever of telling kids to quite down or settle down.

It irks the crud of of me to hear the phrase kids will be kids. Yes, they will. But there is a time and a place for it. The problem is kids will be kids is used as an excuse for lazy parenting.

As I tell my daughter, this is not your house or the playground. It is a privilege, not a right. She learned before she was 2 how to act in public.

As for parents telling me not to correct their kids, my response is generally, I wouldn't have to if you were doing your job.

Most kids act up either to get attention from an adult or they never been taught any better.

Although I may differ otherwise, it does take a village to raise a child unfortunately, some parents are trying to win the prize for village idiot.

Unfortunately you are so correct. As to the posters who say take your vacations when kids are in school...my wife and I would also be in school as we are teachers...

No embellishments here....they were on the balcony at 6:30 this morning. We couldn’t even enjoy the decking of the boat. They are conversing extremely loud and running around the deck. I will take the advice of posters and call security...I even know the names of the kids, because they are yelling at each other.

At 6:30 a.m? Where are the parents? What a shame that no one seems to care what those kids are doing.

I hope security is a able to resolve the issue.

Yes I do. But that is also when you are going to have a ship full of kids. If avoiding kids is that high a priority, then even in school vacation time there are cruise lines that don't have any/many kids. But they are more expensive. Whining about kids on a ship in the middle of summer is like whining that Rome is crowded in prime tourist season. Go a different time, go to a different place, don't go at all, or suck it up and quit whining.

I don't a agree with that sentiment. Traveling during school vacations shouldn't negate your right to enjoy a fairly quiet breakfast on your balcony. OP is not talking about kids playing, talking, giggling on their balcony. They're banging the partition, running and yelling. The parents should be responsible for teaching their kids proper behavior.

I'm the same age as you. If we stepped out of line in public, we were disciplined on the spot. None of the old "Just you wait until your father gets home" My mother was 4ft 11in.& if you've never been whacked with a Curling broom, trust me, it get's your attention real fast!

Wack a minor with a broom today you'll be visited by severall State and local agencies as well as the police. You will miss your cruise since you'll be on trial and most likely will spend time in the pokey. Your kid will file a suit and receive everything you've worked hard to get. Since he will now own the house he will put you on the street.

I am not a confrontational person. They should have enough common sense to control their children. Not my job. :(

Yes, they should, but apparently they're taking a vacation from parenting.

I hope you come back to tell us that you did get that quiet breakfast on you balcony.

Some thoughts:

1) Private practice determines public performance

2) Self-discipline and self-control need to be taught and modeled by parents. You cannot teach something you cannot do yourself. Good manners are mostly caught and not taught. Children pick-up what they see at home.

3) If children, especially teenagers, cannot master internal self-control; the state will use concreate and steel as an external control.

Ramona

Edited by NotThePest_Too

I also advocate calling guest relations or security, but instead of complaining about how you were inconvenienced I'd focus on the fact that the children didn't seem to be properly supervised and you are concerned for their safety. Using the "s" word tends to get attention, especially when you are talking about the real possibility of an unsupervised child getting hurt on a cruise ship balcony.

You do realise that some people work in schools or colleges and can only travel during school holidays? :rolleyes:

I guess the posters who said “travel when kids aren’t off from school” don’t realize adults are their teachers and are entitled to take a vacay when they want. They shouldn’t have to encounter poorly brought up children. The solution of not traveling when the kids travel is just an ignorant statement but is not a solution. A solution would be to teach your children, and not expect people to do what “YOU” were suppose to do.

Yes I do. But that is also when you are going to have a ship full of kids. If avoiding kids is that high a priority, then even in school vacation time there are cruise lines that don't have any/many kids. But they are more expensive. Whining about kids on a ship in the middle of summer is like whining that Rome is crowded in prime tourist season. Go a different time, go to a different place, don't go at all, or suck it up and quit whining.

Still contend...teach your children to respect others...no bratty behavior is going to dictate when I should go on vacation. Obviously their parents are to ignorant to know better. Their children’s poor behavior and bringing up should not be a guest problem....

Having a food service bus. there's nothing worse then slobs that touch food with their hands. I had one guy on Princess doing that..touching food(fingering through bread & deli meats))I told him to knock it off. He fired off the F bomb at me! Worst thing he could do. I then yelled very loudly for ALL to hear. "Excuse me everyone, but this "Pig" is touching the food with his hands. Do any of you think that is OK?" Do you think he might have Norovirus?" All the other pax began yelling at him. Public shaming does have it's advantages. You just need to know when to do it.
My pet peeve is people touching food. On one of my cruises, there was a lady next to me and she and her friend were trying to decide what was in a dish. She stuck her finger in the dish and I promptly and loudly said to the crew member, this woman just put her finger in this dish and I believe you have dispose of it. The woman glared at me and said, I didn't touch anything, as she licked the food off her finger. I've got no problem letting the crew know loudly if someone is touching any food.

Don't travel during school holidays

2 problems with that statement. 1st if you are including summer vacation, why should I not be able to go on a cruise in warm weather just because school is out. 2nd, cruisers come from all over the world and enjoy different holiday schedules, it is very difficult to find a time when no children are on vacation. After all, we are talking about Celebrity not Disney. Having raised 3 kids and having 5 grand kids, why is it so much to ask that parents control their kids? No one expects silence from children, but we don't expect uncontrolled rudeness either.

Uhhh, Celebrity is one of the cruise lines that I don't expect a lot of children, it's not Disney or Carnival. But you are really missing the point. It is not about children on a cruise. I was once on the Oasis and the captain announced there were 1600 children on the ship. I saw the kids but did not experience bad behavior. I was perfectly happy with them being on the ship. It is about parents using the ship and other unwitting passengers as their baby sitter while they enjoy their party time. Would you go to Disney World with a 10 year old and tell them, "ok little Johnny, see you back here at 4pm"? Why is it ok for parents to do that on a ship?

Edited by Mythbuster

I also advocate calling guest relations or security, but instead of complaining about how you were inconvenienced I'd focus on the fact that the children didn't seem to be properly supervised and you are concerned for their safety. Using the "s" word tends to get attention, especially when you are talking about the real possibility of an unsupervised child getting hurt on a cruise ship balcony.

I like this approach - it gives the cruise line a real reason to get involved. If you emphasize your own inconvenience it is easy for people to shrug it off. If the cruise line thinks they may have an issue, they will act.

Several cruises ago I booked a oversized balcony to spend time on while enjoying the ocean. On one such day I was standing on the rail and a cigarette butt landed next to my feet. Needless to say I was mad at the inconsiderate guest smoking on their balcony. I called guest relations. They contacted security. A day later I again noticed ashes on my balcony. Once again I went through proper channels and once again the Problem not solved.

Here is how I solve inconsiderate passenger and their kids. I have switched to adults only cruise ships. People happier and I don’t worry anymore about guest relations not performing there jobs

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Several cruises ago I booked a oversized balcony to spend time on while enjoying the ocean. On one such day I was standing on the rail and a cigarette butt landed next to my feet. Needless to say I was mad at the inconsiderate guest smoking on their balcony. I called guest relations. They contacted security. A day later I again noticed ashes on my balcony. Once again I went through proper channels and once again the Problem not solved.

Here is how I solve inconsiderate passenger and their kids. I have switched to adults only cruise ships. People happier and I don’t worry anymore about guest relations not performing there jobs

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While I can see how your solution would solve your problem with unruly children, I don't see what it would do about passengers smoking on their balcony.

Obviously you're in a suite.(sounds like they are your neighbors) I would try to figure what room they're in(should be fairly easy) & file a formal complaint to the front desk.

Been their ...done that...nothing changed. I’ve noticed that at Luminea the parents are eating without the kids...I guess they want quiet time, sol leave them on the balcony...pathetic that anyone can be a parent nowadays. No license or experience or training needed. Just let the patients run the asylum.:mad:

We loved our last celebrity cruise, adults only,of course it was a charter with great music, going again next year. Didn’t celebrity at one time have some sailing that were adult only.

Other than charters I don't recall Celebrity ever doing "Adult Only" cruises.