Cruise Critic Community
tring

Magellen + School Holidays

Looking at a 6 day cruise on Magellen, then realised it coincided with a half term school holiday. What are CMV ships like in school holidays - will it be overun with children? Not totally objecting to children, but not used to them now we are retired with no children in the family, so could be a bit of a shock to the system :)

Also thinking if there are a lot of cabins with 3 or 4 people in them the facilities could be a bit strained.

On Magellan just now. It is overwhelmed with unruly children (and their parents). Will never travel with C&M again.

On Magellan just now. It is overwhelmed with unruly children (and their parents). Will never travel with C&M again.

Oh dear and we decided to book that cruise later last night. Thank you for the reply, but sorry to hear you are not enjoying your cruise. As you correctly imply it is more the parents who are at fault for letting their children behave badly, it is more a case of teaching them good manners. When in a confined situation, like a cruise ship, I suppose boisterous behaviour can be more overwhelming.

The one we have booked is in the October half term 2019 and goes up the Seine to Rouen, then Honfleur and Dublin so we can hope less families will be interested in that. At least it is only six days and we have chosen second dinner sitting. We will be off the ship quite a bit as well as the ship has late departures from the ports.

CM has the Columbus which is adults only ship. EXCEPT for occasional cruises that are clearly labeled multi-generational.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Been on two Magellan cruises and never seen a child. Most people on board are coffin dodgers. Far too many immobile fat people filling the lifts and the gangplanks getting on and off the ship. It's like Gods waiting room.

Been on two Magellan cruises and never seen a child. Most people on board are coffin dodgers. Far too many immobile fat people filling the lifts and the gangplanks getting on and off the ship. It's like Gods waiting room.

Lol. We are not far off being coffin dodgers ourselves, the cruise, in Oct/Nov 2019 is just before our 70th's, but still fairly active thankfully and only put a bit of weight on as we have aged.

We are not too bothered now as I do not think an autumn half term with that itinerary would be anything as bad as a summer holiday one to warm climes. We will be off the ship a lot as well and do not tend to go to the shows etc., preferring a quiet bar. We were not happy with CMV on a previous short cruise from Tilbury, but enjoyed ourselves as the ports were good. This is a good one to try as we live near Liverpool and the itinerary looks good. If problems with lifts it will give us a good excuse to climb the stairs - the exercise will not harm us.

I'm 67 and not that fit or slim but I've never seen so many obese lumps. We live in Liverpool so Magellan has been a good option for us with no weight restrictions on luggage due to flying. We did a P&O in May on Oceana which was not as good as Magellan food wasn't as good although we had a Balcony which are few and far between on Magellan. Don't think we will be doing any more cruises. wearing a dinner suit in 30C isn't much fun and a formal night on the last night of our cruise was a stupid idea. We wouldn't have missed the Scilly Isles or Monet's garden for any money so we enjoyed the cruise. Don't worry about the children, I'm sure you won't see many! We didn't either in May 2017 or July 2018.

On 8/2/2018 at 7:17 PM, tring said:

Looking at a 6 day cruise on Magellen, then realised it coincided with a half term school holiday. What are CMV ships like in school holidays - will it be overun with children? Not totally objecting to children, but not used to them now we are retired with no children in the family, so could be a bit of a shock to the system 🙂

Also thinking if there are a lot of cabins with 3 or 4 people in them the facilities could be a bit strained.

Hi my daughter and i have just booked this cruise (october 2019)and we are looking forward to it . I have sailed on the bigger ships ncl and royal caribean plus others many times and look forward to a smaller ship.

I have  always wanted to do a river cruise from my home town ...and i am  really looking forward to it .

(children don t bother me in the least being an early years practitioner (semi retired) am well used to dealing with rowdy kids)

I know this post is quite old now, but no-one seems to have posted the golden piece of information which is that the cruise the OP has booked is adults only, so there won't be any kids on board.

8 hours ago, 1900sr said:

I know this post is quite old now, but no-one seems to have posted the golden piece of information which is that the cruise the OP has booked is adults only, so there won't be any kids on board.

Thank you for that information .

on my booking confrmation and in any online information i cannot find where it states that it is adults only cruise.

fingers crossed, only booked last week so may have missed this information somewhere 

thanks again 

2 hours ago, scouser121 said:

Thank you for that information .

on my booking confrmation and in any online information i cannot find where it states that it is adults only cruise.

fingers crossed, only booked last week so may have missed this information somewhere 

thanks again 

From the CMV website "Please note that Columbus, Magellan, Marco Polo and Astoria are child-free and therefore for the enjoyment of adult passengers only (16 years and above at the time of sailing), with the exception of our advertised multigenerational cruises. " so if you book for any of those ships unless the cruise is specifically advertised as multigenerational it will be adults only.

https://www.cruiseandmaritime.com/before-you-sail/general-information

Edited by 1900sr
added link

We have just been on Megellan for 5 weeks and it was child free. However, they had a special charter last week to Panama and lots of children boarded as we disembarked. If you want a good cabin get a suite, ours was lovely! And they have balconies. Do not get too excited about the food, we have had much better with other cruise lines! Its OK, but not good. Staff are brilliant both cabin and restaurant. 

1 hour ago, 1900sr said:

From the CMV website "Please note that Columbus, Magellan, Marco Polo and Astoria are child-free and therefore for the enjoyment of adult passengers only (16 years and above at the time of sailing), with the exception of our advertised multigenerational cruises. " so if you book for any of those ships unless the cruise is specifically advertised as multigenerational it will be adults only.

https://www.cruiseandmaritime.com/before-you-sail/general-information

i just seen that on the website but read the reviews underneath which said children were running round screaming and one group  said they could not get in pool or hot tub for the duration of their cruise on magellan due to children even though it stated no children in hot tubs .....said there was no one to stop them ... im not really that worried but nothing was said about it being an adult cruise on booking and it is the half term holiday week . 

No kids is a bonus but the downside is that the lifts and staircases are often clogged with people in wheelchairs or with walking frames. Often the queues to get off the ship on excursions are very frustrating. I've been on Magellan twice it definitely resembles Gods waiting room! God knows how they would all get off the ship in an emergency.

Edited by billysiv

8 hours ago, scouser121 said:

Like I said the cruise will be adults only unless it specifically says it's multigenerational.  Your cruise does not say that, unlike the ones on the first screen shot here. The review you've read would've been for a multigenerational cruise.

2019-01-29 (2).png

2019-01-29 (3).png

3 hours ago, 1900sr said:

Like I said the cruise will be adults only unless it specifically says it's multigenerational.  Your cruise does not say that, unlike the ones on the first screen shot here. The review you've read would've been for a multigenerational cruise.

2019-01-29 (2).png

2019-01-29 (3).png

thank you for verifying this for me 

I am the OP and just returned from a month in Myanmar and Thailand in 6 different hotel bases as well as airport hotels so anything from a port 20 mins from home sounds restful at present, though our recent holiday was well worth while.  I am also a scouser, though my husband was imported from the south coast as a student in the late sixties 🙂

I suspect CMV have made a mistake with this cruise as they usually seem to designate school holiday cruises as multi generational.  The half term week varies around the UK, so they may not realise the half term is that week in the local schools.  Whatever, it will be a useful second trial of CMV for us, though must admit our first trial was not that impressive.  Their ports are good though, which is what we look for.  Would have just liked more port time on this one TBH.   

Edited by tring

Hello Fellow scouser. tring 

i am travelling with my daughter. it is one of her 40th birthday gifts as she wll be 40 in April . I am looking forward to sailing on a 

smaller ship, (im not expecting it to match the other ships ive been on )

Will just be nice to get away and one of my bucket list is to sail into Liverpool rather than just on the ferry.

it would have been nice for one more port but i guess we will make the best of what we have

.I see we have a halloween party on the trip from dublin  back home (My dd found that the last leg is a dublin to liverpool halloween trip so i d better dig out my broomstick haha

The reason children were boarding in Panama in January was the ship was chartered as accommodation for people going to Panama to see Pope Francis. I spoke to the man in charge of this when we were in the port of Colon. He joined the ship there with a group of 11. They were ensuring everything was going to be in place for them. 

Was on the Columbus in July last year and the small group of children who were on the ship were nothing but polite and courteous. More than can be said at times for the adults on a ship, particularly the men who nearly knocked me over on the Magellan in January when the waiter brought fresh mugs to the tea station. 

Sure it will be fine and assume it will be adult only but haven't checked.

On 2/3/2019 at 12:12 PM, scouser121 said:

Hello Fellow scouser. tring 

i am travelling with my daughter. it is one of her 40th birthday gifts as she wll be 40 in April . I am looking forward to sailing on a 

smaller ship, (im not expecting it to match the other ships ive been on )

Will just be nice to get away and one of my bucket list is to sail into Liverpool rather than just on the ferry.

it would have been nice for one more port but i guess we will make the best of what we have

.I see we have a halloween party on the trip from dublin  back home (My dd found that the last leg is a dublin to liverpool halloween trip so i d better dig out my broomstick haha

Only just seen your comment as we went down to Hampshire where we are clearing out my Mother in Law's house as she is now in a home up here.  A house sale is going through so will be sending quite a bit of time on it over the next couple of months.

That will give the trip from Dublin a party atmosphere then, which can be quite a different feel to other cruises.  We are late sixties ourselves but will always hit the dance floor if when we can - my knees permitting 🙂

Not sure about CMV but have done a Number of Fred cruises from Liverpool and they tend to call passengers into the lounges for a drill as we are sailing out of the Mersey, so limited time on board sadly.  Sail in tends to be before 7am, so we are normally asleep, but yes sailing out/in The Mersey is always good, as well as they 20 minute journey to the port by taxi or often use the bus passes for shorter cruises.

We generally do smaller ships if we cruise.

mjkStirling - Thanks for the information.

Edited by tring

Hope things go smooth for you over the next few months as it will keep you busy . 

i turned 60 last year but was really ill after a car crash so my back is not always up to dancing but give it a go,( hahah in a fashion) .

i m always up with the lark abt 4.30 am so hopefully will see the sail in .(fingers crossed)

good luck and hope to drop in a few times before we sail 

Lorraine 

21 hours ago, scouser121 said:

Hope things go smooth for you over the next few months as it will keep you busy . 

i turned 60 last year but was really ill after a car crash so my back is not always up to dancing but give it a go,( hahah in a fashion) .

i m always up with the lark abt 4.30 am so hopefully will see the sail in .(fingers crossed)

good luck and hope to drop in a few times before we sail 

Lorraine 

Being up at that time means you can see the sail down the Seine as we are due to leave Rouen at 4.45am.  Looking again the the ports on that cruise are not that bad, just two sea days.  It is the 3pm arrival in Rouen that is disappointing, though it will give time to see the sail up the Seine.  With such a late arrival, we are thinking of going into Rouen and staying there for a meal as we always like to go off a ship at night if we stay docked in port late or overnight and sounds like we will need shuttle buses there.  The later arrivals and late departures in Honfleur and Dublin will suit us fine as we are never off a ship early if just intending to potter around a port.  

I have found you roll call and posted on it - always nice to say hello to people who I exchange posts with.  It is a shame there is not a dedicated CMV roll call section as it is easy to get a roll call lost as they disappear if not posted on for a while and they go off the bottom of the page.  They can still be retrieved by searching for them though.

Edited by tring

Good luck on the Seine, we ran aground and the ship had to be checked over before we were allowed back across the channel.

4 hours ago, billysiv said:

Good luck on the Seine, we ran aground and the ship had to be checked over before we were allowed back across the channel.

where you delayed ? how far down the seine did you go ?

I d see that as an adventure as they have to get us home somehow.

maybe it was a one off or they surely would not be allowed to continue .

thanks for the heads up