Road to Hana tours or tour guides

peterp

I would like to drive the Road to Hana myself, but my wife would rather we get hooked up with a tour. I am sure that are several out there, but I am always looking for everyone's favorite. Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

This past June we used Mahalo Tours for a private tour. It was 8 of us. But they also have non private. I highly recommend them, we all loved the tour & our driver, a local, who knew where to stop and where not to stop. It was an all day tour, doing the complete Circle.

During the ride he filled us in on the history of the area and gave great commentary as we drove. Lunch at a local huli huli chicken stand (yum) and drinks and snacks were included.

The road is crazy busy, with blind turns, switchbacks, one lane bridges, hesitant tourists and impatient locals. It was fantastic to sit back and just enjoy the scenery.

It's really not a problem to drive yourself...but the driver doesn't get to see as much as the passenger, what with watching the road and all! It's a lovely way to spend an entire day, if you have a day to spend on riding in a car. Otherwise, there are lots of other fabulous sites on Maui!!!

• 4 weeks later...

We went on a Valley Isle tour, all the way around......not to Hana and back the same say. Wonderful trip. Before you take off to do this in a rental car, make sure it is allowed by the rental car company. There are some sections of the highway that some rental cars are not allowed to drive.

We went on a Valley Isle tour, all the way around......not to Hana and back the same say. Wonderful trip. Before you take off to do this in a rental car, make sure it is allowed by the rental car company. There are some sections of the highway that some rental cars are not allowed to drive.

Some signs just went up this week on Kula Highway noting that there will be no through traffic from Kula Highway to Hana for a while in October due to construction along the road at some point (presumably past Ulupalakua, but the signs did not mention exactly where). If you are thinking about going to or from Hana that way, do check to see what road conditions are then.

• 1 month later...
On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 5:02 PM, Beachiekeen said:

We are going to use Valley Isle Excursions, they are highly recommended on the Trip Advisor forum.

My Daughter and family live on Maui and have been multiple times. We have driven ourselves twice and the last time a car trying to pass us on a one way bridge almost drove us into the ocean. My husband said NEVER AGAIN would he drive. Last time we used Valley Isle Excursion and to say we were very impressed is an understatement! Their guides are local and our guide was amazing. It is a long day, however because they drive all the way past Hana and seeing the back side was amazing. To those who enjoy the freedom of going on your own, have a great time. I will say, with a comfortable van with 8 to 10 passengers, enjoying the beauty of this drive for driver and passengers...worked great for us!