Just off the Zaandam. All Concerns Unfounded. Loved it! A Review.

elbodans

Hello all! I'm sort-of just off the Zaandam (we disembarked on Monday) so I thought I'd return to give a report back. I posted here A LOT before we sailed; some of you will recall me as having serious reservations about the ship and the sailing due to over-researching on my part (when you over-research, you WILL find negative things!) I'm happy to say that all of my concerns were unfounded and we very much enjoyed the Zaandam. If they would have let me, I would have gotten right back on for another 14 day sailing.

Here's why, in semi-review format:

Embarkation: could not have been easier or faster. Our given time was 1pm; we boarded at 1:30 and were THE ONLY PEOPLE THERE. We walked right on and went right to our room to drop off our luggage. We did carry on bags only; yes, I know that is insane, but it worked out well for us. I am a chronic light packer. ;-)

Cabin: we had an inside cabin on deck 3/lower promenade. It was cabin 3395, the first inside cabin aft of the aft elevators. I was initially concerned about the location, but it turned out to be IDEAL. I’d spend another 14 days in that cabin gladly. We were twelve feet and one staircase away from the dining room, the elevator took us right up to the lido deck in between the buffet and the aft pool deck (the latter is where we spent the majority of our on ship time). And we were right near the door to the walk around promenade deck (this ship feature is THE BEST THING EVER) which we used to get some fresh air each morning, check the weather, and give each other some privacy when getting ready in the morning. The cabin itself was clean and surprisingly large for an inside cabin (see video link below for video of our room). We moved the coffee table off to the side and had plenty of room. I was glad to have the small love seat. Our bathroom was not renovated, but it was functional and the hot water was plentiful and the water pressure was great. I showered with the shower curtain open, as the draft causes the shower curtain to attack you. Which is gross. The only negative I can come up with regarding the cabin: the AC could have been stronger. It did get warm at times, and stuffy. But we also had crazy good weather for most of the trip. Like it rained ONE out of what is really 15 days. And was in the 70s more often than not. We were super blessed with weather. But I digress.

Public spaces: we felt crowded maybe three times the entire 14 day sailing. And we never couldn’t find a great place to sit and relax. My favorite spaces were the aft pool deck, the two public aft balconies (I have never seen this before on a ship, as cruise lines usually monetize that space and turn it into aft balcony cabins. Not on the Zaandam!) And in bad weather, the crows nest. Oh—and I need to again list the walk around exterior deck on deck 3 as a virtue. Honestly, I’d have a hard time sailing on a ship without this walk around deck (which other ships have this?) Not once did I ever need to walk down a long, depressing interior hallway. For real, the outside spaces on the Zaandam really shine. We also spent some time each evening in the Ocean View bar listening to music and having a drink. Oh and PS: there’s a forward balcony on deck six which is open when the bow is open. Try to find it; it’s great for glacier watching!

Food: we ate dinner in the MDR fewer times than I anticipated; maybe seven out of the 14 nights. The food was good—some of it very good, some just ok—but we found that when we said ok to being seated with others, the meal took FOREVER. Which is fine if that’s what you want. We wanted to be outside enjoying the gorgeous views. Of the MDR food, the red meat was pretty good, specifically on Gala nights. I had a fantastic scallop dish (actual sea scallops, not sad little bay scallops) and I had a life-changing coconut lime souffle (and I don't have a sweet tooth, so that's saying something.) The buffet was only passable, and it’s the only place where I felt service lacked. The buffet was consistently understaffed. And it was a nightmare at breakfast. I had a hot breakfast MAYBE three times in 15 days; the other days I grabbed a tiny box of cereal and a banana. We did room service breakfast once and that was a bust; the food was terrible and then we had this giant tray in the middle of our little inside cabin. Getting dressed that morning was a comedy of errors! :')

Service: everyone was lovely, helpful, and welcoming. We also got the laundry package and the drink package, which worked out well for us. Laundry was typically returned same day, and we for sure saved money with the drink package. Feel free to ask more about either of those things.

Itinerary: I could not imagine a better all-sea Alaska cruise itinerary. I’d do it again in a heartbeat. The eight port stops, two days of scenic cruising, and 4 sea days were a perfect balance. And please don’t make me pick a favorite port, because I can’t. But Tracy’s Arm Fjord was a huge highlight. The only port we did not get off at was Kodiak, which was a bummer--I was really looking forward to it--but it was cold raining SIDEWAYS and 100% fog. The people who DID get off the ship said they saw nothing (because fog) and got freezing cold and wet. So we decided to use that day as a day of rest and took a nap. Oh well. Next time!

Excursions: we don't do cruise ship excursions, so me reviewing this part is unfair. But we had an AMAZING time in each port. I'll post something on each port stop at some point; I have blog/vlog posts planned as well.

Final summary: I didn’t think I’d love the Zaandam. But I loved the Zaandam. It is the perfect size, and the public outdoor spaces made 14 days in an inside cabin easily do-able. We would have enjoyed an additional dining option (neither of the specialty restaurants appealed to me as I’m not a steak person and the Italian place was just a sectioned off area of the buffet. I really liked Tamarind on the Eurodam.) The entertainment wasn’t great and yeah, there’s not much to do after like...10pm. But we were sailing to see Alaska, not the evening cabaret show. And the Zaandam is ideal for seeing Alaska.

If you are sailing on the Zaandam, feel free to ask me questions--or do what I did and read @CruiseNews's lengthy and detailed live trip report from a couple of months ago (that was SO HELPFUL; it's in this forum somewhere.)

And if you, like me, are crazy enough to do 14 days in an INSIDE CABIN (I know, I know), here's some video footage of our cabin over the 14 day sailing. I did a sort of video diary which is embedded in this blog post (my blog is ad-free; it's a hobby, not something I make money from.)

http://www.suitcasescholar.com/2018/08/04/14-day-cruise-inside-cabin/

Please note: I'm not a professional vlogger so this isn't amazing quality video. But I hope it is amusing and entertaining!

I will also be doing a series about how to do Alaska ports on your own, as that's what we did. But those will take a while to put together; I have SO MANY VIDEO CLIPS. And like 1200 photos. And you know...a job and stuff. ;-)

Hello all! I'm sort-of just off the Zaandam (we disembarked on Monday) so I thought I'd return to give a report back. <snip>

;-)

Hey, thank you SO much for your comments about the Zaandam! We're sailing her in January for a South American adventure and I haven't read too many reviews. It's great to hear that you really enjoyed the ship. We'll have an ocean view, so a little different from your inside, but it will be our first non-balcony cruise, so we've been a little worried about it. Good to hear that your inside was good for the 14 days you were on.

Have to agree about Tracy Arm Fjord, we've been there twice and it was GORGEOUS each time.

Thanks again for the review and comments, happy sailing and best wishes!

Very charming blog and vlog and a totally new take on the "cruise video". Personal, candid and highly informative, anticipating a lot of the questions many people new to cruising have. This is thanks from a fellow Zaandam lover and May/June Alaska cruiser who also would do this itinerary again and again too. I can see why it brings back so many repeat passengers.

The rain forest hike in Sitka was one of the most gorgeous highlights on this cruise - but it was done in the sun when we were there. Thanks for sacrificing your day in Stika so there was enough water to keep everything so green and glorious when we got there. Ha. Just as easily it could of have just the other way around .... rain in the rain forest, who knew. :cool:.

Your next vlog has to be how to pack for Alaska in one carryon and pack. Brava. Plus, here is one tip offered by fellow poster that worked for us in our cabin - "rare earth" magnets with hooks attached to the ceiling where they provide the most sticking power - we hung things from them and shoved them next the wall for more space - perfect for hanging a cosmetic case (room for your eyelash curler for sure) in the bathroom. Or drying out boots by hanging them near the ceiling ventilation outlet.

It is SO refreshing to read a posting like yours! Zaandam (and her sister Maasdam) hold a very special place in my heart. And My Sweetheart's heart too! We also were in an inside cabin on her for 15 nights (San Diego-Hawaii-San Diego) some years ago. We have been very fortunate and have experienced many different types of cabins, but frequently choose an inside, as we did on that cruise. We appreciate the quiet dark tomb experience that enhances good sleep! I will check out your blog in the near future. With such an upbeat outlook, it's gotta be terrific!

Your video was a kick! I'm really looking forward to the next part. We're doing the same cruise next year but on the Amsterdam. Except for one short cruise, we have always cruised in vista suites or verandahs. Next year we have one of the lanai cabins, which I fear is smaller than your inside cabin. You have given me some good tips about how not to murder my spouse or vice versa. Thank you! I expect we'll need to use those tips.

Thank you :)

You just made my day as we are going to be on her in 2020 for 31 days.

this is one ship in the fleet we have not been on.

Great blog and thank you :)

I, too, disembarked the Zaandam this past Monday. We were on the same cruise. We lucked out with the ports this time. This was my second time doing this itinerary. My first was in August in 2016.

We had fixed seating in the MDR as opposed to anytime seating. I prefer fixed as I don’t have to reintroduce myself every meal and with a table for 6 you can get to know others during the cruise and service is a bit faster.

We rarely ate in the Lido. Sometimes for lunch but preferred the MDR for all meals, when it was open. The Lido’s salad bar was really nice as was the Asian station.

We did a mix of excursions- some HAL some private. I’m in the middle of updating my blog - feel free to check it out - http://www.scluvsrain.blogspot.com.

I love HAL ships for their promenade deck - I’m an avid walker and I did 20 laps every morning - about 5 miles. It was a great way to see the sun rise, as I’m also an early walker.

I liked most of the entertainment. The band in the Ocean Bar was nice, as were main stage acts. Our cabin was on deck 2, main deck, at the very aft. There’s a small balcony out the back door that almost felt like our own private space, as it was rarely used my anyone even though it’s public.

I agree about the cabin temp. Our thermostat was set on the coldest setting but the cabin was often a tad warm. Not a deal breaker though.

I’m going to check out your vlog!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well this was a lot of fun reading and viewing your video! Really enjoyed it. I've been married over 35 years but not sure we could survive what you did!!

It's been a few years since we were on the Zaandam but loved her then. Thanks again for sharing.

I.....

I agree about the cabin temp. Our thermostat was set on the coldest setting but the cabin was often a tad warm. Not a deal breaker though.

HAL's version of their acceptable range of cabin temperatures - up to 75 degrees is their normal -which can feel either too warm or even too cold at any given time. Probably warmer than many like in certain settings. I discussed this with the Hotel Director on one ship and he chided at "you Americans who demand 68 degrees constantly".

Perhaps this individual cabin temperature preferences is beyond the ability of the ship to deliver it. Particularly on the older ships. Know before you go and do discuss it with the HD and beware that any passenger leaving a balcony door open can and will affect other passenger cabins on the same ventilation circuit, even if they are not directly connected. Please let them know because also because a technician can make some adjustments. The prior cabin passenger may have complained the cabin was too cold and vents were set differently.

It is SO refreshing to read a posting like yours! Zaandam (and her sister Maasdam) hold a very special place in my heart. And My Sweetheart's heart too! We also were in an inside cabin on her for 15 nights (San Diego-Hawaii-San Diego) some years ago. We have been very fortunate and have experienced many different types of cabins, but frequently choose an inside, as we did on that cruise. We appreciate the quiet dark tomb experience that enhances good sleep! I will check out your blog in the near future. With such an upbeat outlook, it's gotta be terrific!

Regarding the dark tomb experience--Yes! My husband actually claims that he's GLAD we did an inside cabin, because once we were as far as Anchorage, the sun didn't really ever officially set (I have a sunset pic from 11:15pm!)

And I'm glad you found this review refreshing. This ship gets such mixed reviews and I honestly don't get it. I even sort-of met a few ladies in the Crow's Nest who were like 'THIS IS THE WORST SHIP I HAVE EVER BEEN ON'. I should have asked for clarification as to why, because we loved the Zaandam. I hope to sail on her again.

Hey, thank you SO much for your comments about the Zaandam! We're sailing her in January for a South American adventure and I haven't read too many reviews. It's great to hear that you really enjoyed the ship. We'll have an ocean view, so a little different from your inside, but it will be our first non-balcony cruise, so we've been a little worried about it. Good to hear that your inside was good for the 14 days you were on.

Have to agree about Tracy Arm Fjord, we've been there twice and it was GORGEOUS each time.

Thanks again for the review and comments, happy sailing and best wishes!

Oh man--South America in January? Hmmm. This is me plotting.

And do not worry. You will have a fantastic time even without a balcony. We sure did!

And now I'm going to go look up the South America sailing. :D

Your video was a kick! I'm really looking forward to the next part. We're doing the same cruise next year but on the Amsterdam. Except for one short cruise, we have always cruised in vista suites or verandahs. Next year we have one of the lanai cabins, which I fear is smaller than your inside cabin. You have given me some good tips about how not to murder my spouse or vice versa. Thank you! I expect we'll need to use those tips.

Not murdering one's spouse is KEY to having a great cruise! :'):'):'):'):')

Very charming blog and vlog and a totally new take on the "cruise video". Personal, candid and highly informative, anticipating a lot of the questions many people new to cruising have. This is thanks from a fellow Zaandam lover and May/June Alaska cruiser who also would do this itinerary again and again too. I can see why it brings back so many repeat passengers.

The rain forest hike in Sitka was one of the most gorgeous highlights on this cruise - but it was done in the sun when we were there. Thanks for sacrificing your day in Stika so there was enough water to keep everything so green and glorious when we got there. Ha. Just as easily it could of have just the other way around .... rain in the rain forest, who knew. :cool:.

Your next vlog has to be how to pack for Alaska in one carryon and pack. Brava. Plus, here is one tip offered by fellow poster that worked for us in our cabin - "rare earth" magnets with hooks attached to the ceiling where they provide the most sticking power - we hung things from them and shoved them next the wall for more space - perfect for hanging a cosmetic case (room for your eyelash curler for sure) in the bathroom. Or drying out boots by hanging them near the ceiling ventilation outlet.

Awww, thank you for your kind words about my video! It's only the second one I've made, so I'm for sure still learning!

And yeah, we met a lot of repeat cruisers on this sailing. I hope to some day be one of them!

The day that got rained out for us was Kodiak; we had GORGEOUS weather in Sitka (can one attach photos here? I'm not sure. I'll try to figure out a way.) We walked in the Totem Park and went to a brewery; it was our last stop so very low key. Also we had been there before (this was our second honeymoon as our honeymoon was an Alaska cruise) so we wanted to re-do the walk we did back then (can I get an awwww?)

EXCELLENT tip on the magnet hooks from the ceiling! Man, that was space real estate we weren't even USING!

And I don't think I'll be able to do a cruise packing video but maybe? I mean, I haven't UN packed yet (whoops!) so perhaps I can. I did write this a little while ago which explains how I pack so light. It's not a video, but there are lots of pics with captions:

http://www.suitcasescholar.com/2016/06/20/light-packing-for-business-and-leisure/

And honestly, on the cruise? Laundry service was how we did it. I actually had a sweater I didn't even wear! But to be fair, I've been traveling for work 100% for the past SIX YEARS, so I had to learn to pack light out of necessity (I am very tired of traveling for work; anyone want to hire an instructional designer to work remotely? Kidding. Kind of.)

Thank you :)

You just made my day as we are going to be on her in 2020 for 31 days.

this is one ship in the fleet we have not been on.

Great blog and thank you :)

Glad to have made your day!

And 31 days! Wow! Enjoy! Honestly, I actually LOOKED INTO just going back on that same itinerary again (my life is strange so that was actually possible for me.) So yeah, I'd be happy on the Zaandam for a month.

I, too, disembarked the Zaandam this past Monday. We were on the same cruise. We lucked out with the ports this time. This was my second time doing this itinerary. My first was in August in 2016.

We had fixed seating in the MDR as opposed to anytime seating. I prefer fixed as I don’t have to reintroduce myself every meal and with a table for 6 you can get to know others during the cruise and service is a bit faster.

We rarely ate in the Lido. Sometimes for lunch but preferred the MDR for all meals, when it was open. The Lido’s salad bar was really nice as was the Asian station.

We did a mix of excursions- some HAL some private. I’m in the middle of updating my blog - feel free to check it out - www.scluvsrain.blogspot.com.

I love HAL ships for their promenade deck - I’m an avid walker and I did 20 laps every morning - about 5 miles. It was a great way to see the sun rise, as I’m also an early walker.

I liked most of the entertainment. The band in the Ocean Bar was nice, as were main stage acts. Our cabin was on deck 2, main deck, at the very aft. There’s a small balcony out the back door that almost felt like our own private space, as it was rarely used my anyone even though it’s public.

Greetings fellow cruiser I didn't meet! Wasn't the weather AMAZING?!? How about the Tracy Arm Fjord day? That was one of the best days I've ever had. Ever.

And I didn't know about the secret balcony on deck 2! That's great! It seems EVERY deck on the Zaandam has a secret balcony. More reason to love her!

I did a private whale watching tour with Weather Permitting. Had a good time. I also have taken a great tour in Kodiak with Memory Makers.

Also in Juneau, you can rent a car and have a great day visiting Mendenhall Glacier, the Shrine of St. Therese which is a gorgeous place that also has a labyrinth, and Douglas Island. You can walk to the Avis car rental in town from the ship too. About a 10 minute walk.

HAL's version of their acceptable range of cabin temperatures - up to 75 degrees is their normal -which can feel either too warm or even too cold at any given time. Probably warmer than many like in certain settings. I discussed this with the Hotel Director on one ship and he chided at "you Americans who demand 68 degrees constantly".

Perhaps this individual cabin temperature preferences is beyond the ability of the ship to deliver it. Particularly on the older ships. Know before you go and do discuss it with the HD and beware that any passenger leaving a balcony door open can and will affect other passenger cabins on the same ventilation circuit, even if they are not directly connected. Please let them know because also because a technician can make some adjustments. The prior cabin passenger may have complained the cabin was too cold and vents were set differently.

That makes total sense---setting it at 75. And honestly, it wasn't a problem. And it for sure wouldn't have been a problem, except my husband is very...sweaty when he sleeps. But fortunately there was a bed divot to keep me away from him!

It also seemed more warm when we were in port, which might make sense as they were doing other things with power at that time. It really wasn't a major problem. I was stretching for things to complain about!

We go on her in three weeks!!! I am really interested on private tours you did!!! We are not into ship tours!!! We are on deck3 with an outside cabin!!! Love deck 3!!! So easy to walk outside!!! Thanks for the review!!!

you should be excited!

as for tours, here's what we did in EXTREME summary format, as i'm not certain i'll have anything else posted before you sail (though I have video and images of all of it):

Ketchikan: we walked to Rainbird Trail and did a hike, then walked around town.

Juneau: we rented a car and drove everywhere. If you want info on this ask and I'll better outline our day. It was great!

Icy Strait Point: we did a whale watching tour with Glacier Wind Charters, which was our one splurge and was totally worth it.

Ancorage: same as Juneau but even BETTER! Happy to outline this too.

Homer: we had a whole hike planned with a water taxi drop off arranged but we weren't feeling great so we just walked around town. Highly recommend the End of the Road Park beach. It is SO BEAUTIFUL. We also did a sort of lunch crawl here. Homer is lovely, even just the spit.

Kodiak: nap because rain.

Sitka: walked Totem Heritage Park, went to a brewery, found a spot off one of the park trails where the river meets the bay and saw ALL THE EAGLES.

Victoria: took the CVS bus to Butchart.

If you want more info on any of this, ask and I'll expand upon any of it.

Greetings fellow cruiser I didn't meet! Wasn't the weather AMAZING?!? How about the Tracy Arm Fjord day? That was one of the best days I've ever had. Ever.

And I didn't know about the secret balcony on deck 2! That's great! It seems EVERY deck on the Zaandam has a secret balcony. More reason to love her!

I loved how it was foggy all morning and then just as we entered the fjord the weather cleared and we had beautiful views. To be honest though, I far preferred going into Hubbard Glacier this time. But both were lovely.

You need to get to Antarctica. That puts anything in Alaska to shame. And Prince Christian Sund up near Greenland. Also pretty awesome.

I’m going to study your packing advice. I’m getting worse rather than better. I think it’s the world cruises that have spoiled me with all the free luggage service.

I did a private whale watching tour with Weather Permitting. Had a good time. I also have taken a great tour in Kodiak with Memory Makers.

Also in Juneau, you can rent a car and have a great day visiting Mendenhall Glacier, the Shrine of St. Therese which is a gorgeous place that also has a labyrinth, and Douglas Island. You can walk to the Avis car rental in town from the ship too. About a 10 minute walk.

That's what we did in Juneau! But we rented from Juneau Rental Cars (or 'rent a wreck'!)

Checking out your blog now! Thanks!!!

you should be excited!

as for tours, here's what we did in EXTREME summary format, as i'm not certain i'll have anything else posted before you sail (though I have video and images of all of it):

Ketchikan: we walked to Rainbird Trail and did a hike, then walked around town.

Juneau: we rented a car and drove everywhere. If you want info on this ask and I'll better outline our day. It was great!

Icy Strait Point: we did a whale watching tour with Glacier Wind Charters, which was our one splurge and was totally worth it.

Ancorage: same as Juneau but even BETTER! Happy to outline this too.

Homer: we had a whole hike planned with a water taxi drop off arranged but we weren't feeling great so we just walked around town. Highly recommend the End of the Road Park beach. It is SO BEAUTIFUL. We also did a sort of lunch crawl here. Homer is lovely, even just the spit.

Kodiak: nap because rain.

Sitka: walked Totem Heritage Park, went to a brewery, found a spot off one of the park trails where the river meets the bay and saw ALL THE EAGLES.

Victoria: took the CVS bus to Butchart.

If you want more info on any of this, ask and I'll expand upon any of it.

We do have a rental in Juneau!! Would be interested in any suggestions!!! Plus where to stop for lunch??? In icy and Homer have wilderness tours!! Kodiak nothing! Rest of the places have been 5 times so will wing it!!!

A/C on Zaandam was not working on your AK cruise, we were on the same cruise and found out that they would be working on the A/C for 4 weeks. Inside and crews cabins were horribly hot and stuffy. People on deck 3 were lucky for the ventilation from the doors.