Caribbean Princess - a 30something’s perspective/review

amandaepperson21

Very fair, accurate review.

I view Princess as a destination cruise line at this stage. in my life (upper 50s). They'll take me to exotic ports on extended journeys via a comfortable 'at sea' feel. We'll gladly sail them again. But if I have 7-8 days in the Caribbean for a vacation, I'll do Carnival every time but will seek to avoid the maximum young family slots of Spring Break and summer vacation. Perfect mix for us.

Your last paragraph perfectly sums up Princess and it is just what they advertise in their tag line - Relax. Come Back New.

Cruising is all about finding the line that works for you at what stage of life you are in and what you enjoy.

We are not party people, and sometimes Carnival is a bit over the top with people “getting their money’s worth” and drinking all 15 Cheers alcoholic beverages - whether they should or not.

Princess is really a line to relax and travel the world. We have pretty much exhausted what Carnival has to offer and are looking forward to longer trips further abroad than the Caribbean.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m in my 30s [well only till October lol) and princess is my favorite cruise line. Princess was my first cruise and it’s always my go too. Sometimes it’s just the ship or the crew. I tried RCCL and hated it however I’m definitely willing to give it another shot. Thanks for your review, happy cruising!

If they are going to build 4,500 passenger ships, might as well bring on the zip lines, water slides, climbing walls and skating rinks.

I wish they would build new ships that are small enough that a 7-day Eastern Caribbean itinerary could feature other islands instead of St. Thomas, St. Maarten and Princess Cays.

Edited by caribill
  • Like 1

Pooh: Both you and the OP reported that it was crickets after 11:00. Was Sky Walkers shut down then? I've been on CB twice and both times Sky Walkers didn't even heat up until 11:00. That's when the BOGO Happy Hour started and the crew (officers and entertainers) started to show up.

But with the BOGO discontinued Fleet-wide, Skywalkers remains almost vacant at 11 PM now.

I wish they would build new ships that are small enough that a 7-day Eastern Caribbean itinerary could feature other islands instead of St. Thomas, St. Maarten and Princess Cays.

But even the smaller ships like the CB make stops at other islands other than St. Thomas, St. Maarten and Princess Cays.

I believe it's stopping at the most popular islands that determines their itinerary and not so much the size of the ship although I would not complain if they skipped St. Thomas or Princess Cays every now & then.

It does get monotonous.

Your not going to see that happen on any mass market line. Might I suggest that you consider Windstar or Viking Ocean. While I've not been on the latter, our Windstar motor yacht cruise perfectly fits that bill, admittedly at a higher price point.

But even the smaller ships like the CB make stops at other islands other than St. Thomas, St. Maarten and Princess Cays.

I believe it's stopping at the most popular islands that determines their itinerary and not so much the size of the ship although I would not complain if they skipped St. Thomas or Princess Cays every now & then.

It does get monotonous.

The size of the ship does matter as only a few Caribbean ports can handle the number of passengers on the number of large ships that stop there.

You will not see the Royal or even the CB going to St. Barthelemy, Tobago, Virgin Gorda, St. John, etc.

Edited by caribill

As pointed out earlier, if you want a small ship, they are out there. Just pay the same as a Princess suite and you have options on Oceania, Seabourn, etc.

The same price as a Princess full suite, correct?

The prices on the other cruise lines are certainly out of my cruising budget unless I just cruise 1 week per year. :rolleyes:

.Hope your daughter is OK. Try to remember that the ship functions in many ways like an emergency room. Overall, the care on board is quite good. We've had a fracture missed in the ER that the orthopedist had no trouble diagnosing and treating!

We did an Alaska cruise on HAL a few years ago when my husband became seriously ill. The medical department was equipped with all kinds of equipment, medicines, etc., that I never would have thought would be available. We ended up being medivacced (spelling?) off the ship, to the hospital in Ketchikan, then on to Bellingham WA. The treatment he received on board the ship was truly life-saving and went way past what I expected, and the stewards took complete charge of packing us up and getting me off the ship and to the hospital in Ketchikan. Really wonderful experience, if you can call something so scary "wonderful."

Some of us like 200 year old music.

So do I! We had just a bit on HAL on an Alaskan cruise several years ago, along with an excellent Beatles tribute band and enough jazz and standards to please me as well. I wish there were more venues for classical chamber music! Maybe just one place on board and let all the others play what they wish.

;)

Good for you. You have realized what is important to you while crusing. I suggest the celebrity edge and Virgin is coming out with a new ship in about two years. It sounds exactly like what you are looking for. The new larger ships will suit you best and remember to research the night life first.

Please remember that we all age, even you. To your children, your old. And for the sake of God stop discriminating because of age..

I thought the Virgin Cruises are for 21 and over only?

Some of us like 200 year old music.

So do I! We had just a bit on HAL on an Alaskan cruise several years ago, along with an excellent Beatles tribute band and enough jazz and standards to please me as well. I wish there were more venues for classical chamber music! Maybe just one place on board and let all the others play what they wish.

;)

Strongly agree. Surely not older folks are not the only ones who like 200 year old music. I liked it in my teens. Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The same price as a Princess full suite, correct?

The prices on the other cruise lines are certainly out of my cruising budget unless I just cruise 1 week per year. :rolleyes:

It really depends. Princess is usually around $200 per night per person for a mini suite. Some of the luxury lines may run about $300 per night per person but they include specialty dining, gratuities and ALL beverages. But yes, definitely comparable price wise to full suite. The details do vary enormously based on time of year, itinerary, cruise line etc, just saying it is worth looking at if you are wanting the small ship experience.