Laundrette Wars

Dorset cruise fan

I usually don't use the washing machines, unless on B2B on turn around day, but we have a 28 nighter coming up, and If I took 29 pairs of my knickers that's a suitcase on their own!!!! Seriously I will just have to be brave.

Your post made smile, we must share the same preference for substantial undergarments.

I use a vacuum bags to shrink wrap them as it considerably reducing the space they take up in the case. You can do the same in reverse with the used items. Saves mucking about with washing on a ship,

I confess..... as I always have a balcony cabin, which isnt cheap, ( I am claustrophobic) on the few occasions my clothes need washing, the onboard laundry gets my custom. Quite simply I cannot be bothered to waste my time in the launderette and for the sake of a few quid, I pay someone else to do my washing!!

I can live with missing out on the gossip! ;p

I've only visited laundrettes on Ventura [since we've had kids], but I've found that 7pm onwards seems to be the quietest time.

One tip, the laundrette on your deck might not be the closest, a deck or two up / down might be closer

I use the launderettes quite a lot on long cruises, and if it's to the Caribbean and back, I wash the cold weather clothes when we've sailed into warm weather, ready for our return. Never, ever seen any trouble in there.

I send dress shirts to the laundry- it was about £4 last time.

The easiest option is to take advantage of the luggage weight restrictions (great from Southampton) and good if on Jet 2 with 22 KGs and 10KGs hand luggage and just pack for your cruise.

Have never used the laundry --- we're on holiday and time on the cruise is priceless.

Just avoid it and of all else fails then pay the ship to clean some must haves

The easiest option is to take advantage of the luggage weight restrictions (great from Southampton) and good if on Jet 2 with 22 KGs and 10KGs hand luggage and just pack for your cruise.

Have never used the laundry --- we're on holiday and time on the cruise is priceless.

Just avoid it and of all else fails then pay the ship to clean some must haves

For even better luggage allowance is to fly scheduled BA WT+

Quite a few years ago cruising with our older teenage children, our son announced that he would go off to iron his evening shirt. Cue surprised looks between parents as he’d never so much as touched an iron at home. A few days later on another formal night the same thing happened. My wife need to press an item a few minutes later and she went down to the laundrette. When she got there she heard two women talking ‘ there was this poor lad in here a few minutes ago trying to iron a shirt...he didn’t have a clue. In the end I said here, let me do it for you’

I remember Tommy Sutton (who was a popular comedian on P&O ) used to call the launderette ‘rumour control’.

Same here Jean, we go on holiday to get away from household chores.:)

Having said that my wife occasionally hand washes some items and uses the extendable washing line in the shower for drying.

Yes I occasionally wash out some in the sink, but further than that - no way. This is my time and I don't do housework on holiday!!

Beware! I had a linen dress stolen from the tumble drier during last world cruise on Arcadia. It was early evening and very quiet - on hindsight I now realise how easy it is for anyone to open the drier and ' accidently' remove anything that takes their fancy. :(

I always do laundry on our cruises & definitely will on our next 28 day cruise. On deck on Arcadia, E?? has 2 laundrettes & the far one is usually quieter.

Arcadia definitely has tumbel dryers but they are stacked on top of the washing machines, so I have to take hubby with me to empty it as I can't reach!!!!

The laudrettes are thin & very small on Arcadia & there's no way I'd stay in there whilst our washing is on!!

We did upset one lady last year on Arcadia, We went straight to the laundrette on our way to the spa & got in at just 8am, we just walked in. Said lady was on the opposite corridor & that door was locked. When the door was unlocked she was very cross as she had been queueing. She did say this very loudly but we just smiled & continued onto the spa!! Luckily our clothes were still there when we got back!!

New to cruising and don't want to upset anyone if I do decide to do a wash.....are the washing cycles for a set time? Then I can time it to go back in plenty time to let the next one in...not fussed about tumble dryers.

Kat

If you are sailing roundtrip from Southampton and not flying it is generally better to take extra suitcases. There is no limit on how many you take. If you are unable to do this a good option is to use the laundry service by filling out the priced order form and have the cabin steward take it away and return your items all clean and ironed.

Nipping into the laundrette and ironing a few creased items is free of charge. This is a good option on a formal night with shirts.

Regards John

If you are sailing roundtrip from Southampton and not flying it is generally better to take extra suitcases. There is no limit on how many you take. If you are unable to do this a good option is to use the laundry service by filling out the priced order form and have the cabin steward take it away and return your items all clean and ironed.

Nipping into the laundrette and ironing a few creased items is free of charge. This is a good option on a formal night with shirts.

Regards John

A much cheaper option would be to nip into Primark or Matalan and stock up. Can always donate them to charity if the don't look quite as good after washing. Nobody looks that closely anyway.

I'm sure somebody can provide a price list for ships laundry, but I remember it was £4+ for a casual polo shirt! Dread to think what a dress shirt costs.

A much cheaper option would be to nip into Primark or Matalan and stock up. Can always donate them to charity if the don't look quite as good after washing. Nobody looks that closely anyway.

I'm sure somebody can provide a price list for ships laundry, but I remember it was £4+ for a casual polo shirt! Dread to think what a dress shirt costs.

Without wishing to go into too much detail it is sometimes economical to wash in cabin and use clothes line. The option you mention to buy replacement stuff ashore and chuck the originals in the bin makes sense to me.

Realistically when you calculate how much money you have paid for a holiday (£200 a day for a couple) it does not make sense to me to waste too much time and effort on self-service laundry. I went on a cruise to Caribbean with a first timer who planned to wash clothes halfway through cruise and actually sit and watch the machines throughout. I pointed out that this was ridiculous and nobody who books a £2000 cruise would want to steal someone else's underwear.

Regards John

I’ve always thought the laundry service on most ships was a bargain and use it on most cruises. I don’t do more than a 15 day cruise so never use the laundrette. I’m on holiday !

Laundering something for £4 or £5 per article a bargain :eek::eek::eek:.