Cruise Critic Community
ernieglenman

Lisbon Cruise Terminal

Hi,

Which terminal do Celebrity use when docking in Lisbon? We are supposed to dock at 09.00 and there is a tour I want to take which starts at 10.00. It's a 20 minute walk to the meeting point and I am wondering if I can make it?

Regards

Ernest

Hi,

Which terminal do Celebrity use when docking in Lisbon? We are supposed to dock at 09.00 and there is a tour I want to take which starts at 10.00. It's a 20 minute walk to the meeting point and I am wondering if I can make it?

Regards

Ernest

Not sure which terminal, but I suspect it is the one down the hill from St. Georges Castle. We were in Lisbon in 2016, not on a cruise and talked to some cruisers.

Ernest, I haven’t yet been to Lisbon, but you may find something useful here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=234

I found the link above by going to “Other European Cruise Ports” in the “Ports of Call” section.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2451371&highlight=Lisbon

The link above may be helpful. It confirms what I thought, that Lisbon has more than one cruise port. Using your arrival date, I would search all Lisbon port docking schedules for your ship.

Here’s another link to helpful information about the ports. You will find links to port information and schedules here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2449084

Good luck! I hope your tour works out. - Michelle

Edited by Silkroad
Fixed incorrect link

The terminal is just past downtown. It is about a 15 minute walk to Comerio Plaza, the main square downtown. Easy walk.

A 9:00 AM arrival and a 10:00 AM tour would be very, very iffy. If they actually dock at 9:00 AM it will take time for the ship to be cleared before anyone can get off. I once had a two hour delay leaving for a ship's tour since the local authorities only allowed one gangway to be open. Add this to a 20 minute walk and you just don't have the time. On the more optimistic side, a 9:00 AM arrival can be as early as 8:00 AM and everything can go smoothly and you can make your tour, I would contact you tour operator and see what they will do if there is a later arrival. Enjoy Lisbon!

Edited by Orator

There are two areas that we have docked at in Lisbon with Celebrity. One is just past the 25th April bridge and is quite a walk to the main part of the town - 30 to 40 mins as a decent walking speed. The other is past the Parca do Comercio, the large square at the front which is probably 15 minutes from the centre.

I think we have docked 2 or 3 times next to the bridge and the last couple of times have been at the cruise terminal past the square.

Another complication at Lisbon is the tide on the river meaning at certain times disembarkation / embarkation is down / up a steep walkway which is a bit slower.

Each of the three times we've been to Lisbon we have moored in Alfama opposite Museu do Fado. From here it's a 15 minute flat walk to the tourist centre of Lisbon (uneven paths) - just walk out of the port area, cross the road, turn left and follow your nose. Watch your belongings in this area there have been problems with pickpockets in this area targeting cruise passengers with distraction techniques (asking you to look at a map for directions)

Many thanks for your comprehensive reply.

Regards

Ernest

Ernest, I haven’t yet been to Lisbon, but you may find something useful here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=234

I found the link above by going to “Other European Cruise Ports” in the “Ports of Call” section.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2451371&highlight=Lisbon

The link above may be helpful. It confirms what I thought, that Lisbon has more than one cruise port. Using your arrival date, I would search all Lisbon port docking schedules for your ship.

Here’s another link to helpful information about the ports. You will find links to port information and schedules here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2449084

Good luck! I hope your tour works out. - Michelle

Thank you to everyone who replied. I may have to reconsider my options of which there are plenty.

Lisbon is wonderful. I would consider the Hop On as an option. The dock close to town is a very easy walk. Just turn left when you reach the street outside the Terminal. Much to see in the downtown area. Be sure to try the pastries! As others have said: Be very aware of pickpockets. A friend had a wallet lifted while in a tram.

Sintra is interesting and a most popular site outside the city. I also enjoyed Obedos (sp).

The last twice we have called at Lisbon we have been docked near the main square, so probably a 10 minute walk. As mentioned the Ho Ho is quite good, we used it when we docked near the bridge (make sure you are on deck when you go under the bridge, the roadway is mesh and you can see the vehicles crossing!) Another vote for Sintra, one of the nicer tours I M O.

As mentioned watch out for pick pockets, and we have been offered drugs as well! Finally, a word of warning if on the trams, a business colleague of mine got off one, and was struck and killed by a passing vehicle, they think he looked the 'wrong' way.

There are a couple of cruise terminals in Lisbon. We've always docked at the one that near the bridge and mile or so from downtown Lisbon. I would do a search for cruise ship terminals and find out which one your ship is scheduled to dock.

Cascais is another easy trip along the coast to a pretty seaside town. From the Alfama port area walk along the waterfront in a westerly direction for 15-20 minutes until you reach the Cais Do Sodre train station. From there its a 30 mins coastal train trip (Cascais is the end of the line). You can potter around in Cascais and catch the train back or walk along the seafront to one of the stations (Monte Estoril or Estoril) - the train line hugs the coast so you can't really get lost.