Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

In 1965 one of my older brothers snipped the wire to the speaker in our family TV (back then you had one TV), hooked it up to a long pair of wires with a toggle switch at the far end, and we had a remote to shut off the sound without getting up.  My parents thought it was one of the greatest inventions of all time.  These new remotes require a PhD in electrical engineering, or is it Information Technology.  I'm ready to go back to the toggle switch.  (Elvis's remote doesn't count - as once you shoot the TV, it doesn't work so well thereafter....)  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Screenshot_20210823-121138.thumb.png.a976a4c0b9953f4b35bb64bbf234947e.png

1 hour ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

In 1965 one of my older brothers snipped the wire to the speaker in our family TV (back then you had one TV), hooked it up to a long pair of wires with a toggle switch at the far end, and we had a remote to shut off the sound without getting up.  My parents thought it was one of the greatest inventions of all time.  These new remotes require a PhD in electrical engineering, or is it Information Technology.  I'm ready to go back to the toggle switch.  (Elvis's remote doesn't count - as once you shoot the TV, it doesn't work so well thereafter....)  

A while ago we got our Aunt a "big button remote", which had only a few large buttons, to make it easier for her to see and choose the correct button.  She still had to call us frequently so we could talk her through the steps to do what she wanted to do.

We miss her!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Screenshot_20210823-121138.thumb.png.a976a4c0b9953f4b35bb64bbf234947e.png

My sisters and I still laugh about my Father complaining that he couldn’t get the air conditioner to work. When we looked into it he had his garage door going up and down!  That’s when we realised he wasn’t managing as well as we thought! 

Edited by jillyf
Adding
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Haha, wedding cake has been blamed for many things. The version that I hear most often is that the frosting, once consumed by the bride, drastically reduces a certain desire.

wow!that sounds good for Myster!

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, zqtchas said:

You already did. (didn't eat of the cake)

OK!  Fair enough!  I'll need to more carefully consider all angles and potential interpretations of my future posts!  Loose lips sink ships!  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good to know. Our lemons last for more than a day. Unless we use them in our cooking too...

The tomato crop is going gangbusters now, with this hot weather. It's hard to keep up and eat them all.

A few days ago I made some fried chicken thighs with a herbed tomato salad. Tomatoes and shallots with fresh oregano from the herb garden. The acidity from the tomatoes and the vinaigrette cut through the crispy fried chicken perfectly. I served it with a Sicilian white blend.

20210824_185930.thumb.jpg.ae9aaef215e8fa4c14dffee68a3a3ac3.jpg

We had two nice eggplants ripening in the garden, so I layered the slices with more tomatoes and cheese, then baked it and served over pasta. I added some sausage for good measure otherwise it might have been too healthy. This went with a Vernaccia de San Gimignano.

20210825_192349.thumb.jpg.51ac7169eeea992313cae2872505afd4.jpg

I have the last of this in my lunch bag for today. Unfortunately I didn't bring any Vernaccia...

Tonight we're ordering out!

And two weeks from tomorrow, we fly out of JFK to Nice for our Corsica trip. Definitely ready to have someone else do the cooking and cleaning for a bit.

Since our flight isn't until Saturday evening,  we decided to go to NYC early and have lunch at the rooftop restaurant at Eataly. Then we will drive to the airport and head out. Should be a relaxing day. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

Good to know. Our lemons last for more than a day. Unless we use them in our cooking too...

The tomato crop is going gangbusters now, with this hot weather. It's hard to keep up and eat them all.

A few days ago I made some fried chicken thighs with a herbed tomato salad. Tomatoes and shallots with fresh oregano from the herb garden. The acidity from the tomatoes and the vinaigrette cut through the crispy fried chicken perfectly. I served it with a Sicilian white blend.

20210824_185930.thumb.jpg.ae9aaef215e8fa4c14dffee68a3a3ac3.jpg

We had two nice eggplants ripening in the garden, so I layered the slices with more tomatoes and cheese, then baked it and served over pasta. I added some sausage for good measure otherwise it might have been too healthy. This went with a Vernaccia de San Gimignano.

20210825_192349.thumb.jpg.51ac7169eeea992313cae2872505afd4.jpg

I have the last of this in my lunch bag for today. Unfortunately I didn't bring any Vernaccia...

Tonight we're ordering out!

And two weeks from tomorrow, we fly out of JFK to Nice for our Corsica trip. Definitely ready to have someone else do the cooking and cleaning for a bit.

Since our flight isn't until Saturday evening,  we decided to go to NYC early and have lunch at the rooftop restaurant at Eataly. Then we will drive to the airport and head out. Should be a relaxing day. 

are you able to get your booster shot before you go? don't forget your flu shot too.