Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

7 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Good Morning all. 

Thoughts are with you Lois.

Well, This time tomorrow I’ll be on my way to Luxor. Unfortunately no flights from MAN so a long journey to LHR before an Egyptiar flight to Luxor and arriving at the Ship at 11.30ish. Luckilly the temp looks like it’s dropping from 35 this week to a more bearable 29 (not sure what that is in feet and inches sorry). 12 years since my last visit and let’s just say I lost 3 stone in the 3 months following my visit. Hoping the Pharoes don’t get me again. Anyone have any tips on avoiding their curse other than not touching, eating, drinking anything or breathing? Looking forward to taking lots of 360 footage esp since camera use is allowed now in many places that weren’t before. Will try to post a bit but no idea what t’internet will be like. 

I'm impressed you've managed to find a ship in Luxor!  On my last visit they were all boats!! 😉

Thanks for the reminder, M.

Well, we are home as of about 9:45PM last night. It was a nice flight back to JFK and we got on the road right at 7PM. Everything was fairly efficient at Kennedy, and all the wine arrived safely as well. 

Already back at work this morning. Ugh. But only a little more than 6 weeks until the next cruise!

Have been remiss in blogging about this great trip but will eventually catch up, I hope. It was all we expected, and then some. We got so much done, I think that we even surprised ourselves. Now to sort through all of the pictures, and try to remember what the heck we saw... 🤣

• Like 4

Cold and gray in South Florida. 

This is the third day in a row of overcast skies and the chill. 50F and damp. It is an extreme contrast;  the tropical green foliage with the pervasive ash and lead colored clouds in the sky.  Those clouds could possibly hold snow!!!

My banana trees are producing lots of bananas

and serve as a reminder we really are in a warmer clime.

While we welcome some cooler temps,  the absence of the sun makes us recall why we moved here in the first place.

We need sunshine!!!

Happy day all.

• Like 1

Day 1 _ Luxor.

Well, I made it! 2 hours sleep then a journey from North Wales to LHR. I Must say LHR was much better than I remembered it. Far superior in every way to the Shamchester cattle dispatchery (MAN).

It was about 3/4 of an hour into the flight when the true horror of my situation dawned on me though, whilst perusing the juices and fizzy drinks on the trolley. The panic gripped me as I realised I was stuck in a metal tube at 30,000ft for 5 hours on an alcohol free flight.

Still all is well that ends well. I'm sat alone on the top deck on the stillest night I've ever known, sipping a Bacardi and contemplating what a beautiful world we are privileged to enjoy. The only Interuption to the tranquility is the constant zapping of midges that is starting to sound a bit like Chinese new year and two local dogs having quite a fracard. 6.30 start for the Valley of the Kings, I missed out on  it last time on account of being bitten by an angry Pharao. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi folks, JP, you are back already? Why did I think you were going for a longer amount of time?

Lois, I was hoping for a longer trip too... But work calls. We certainly could have used another week on this itinerary! 

DW, glad you are on The Nile! Enjoy it, and stay well!

2 weeks away for next cruise in the Caribbean.  DW on the Nile in Egypt, JP back from Portugal, both so interesting, makes me look forward to future cruises and land trips!  Anyway, has anyone ever taken the excursion to Jost van Dyke from Tortola?  I'd appreciate any thoughts on whether we should book it.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

Anyway, has anyone ever taken the excursion to Jost van Dyke from Tortola?  I'd appreciate any thoughts on whether we should book it.  

Well, Chris and I once rented a motorboat in St. Thomas, and went to Jost van Dyke ourselves.

After first clearing customs in Tortola, we headed over, dropped anchor off the beach, and swam ashore for lunch at the Soggy Dollar. Was a fun day! Had to hold my wallet high to avoid carrying too many of the bar's namesakes...

• Like 1

I have been to Tortola but not in many years...…..I can't remember the name of the bar I had a drink at LOL

I am trying to decide what to do for my birthday....it is in March. Jan I am going to the Caribbean and April starts

the big cruise......just cannot figure out what to do for the birthday 62.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Any cooler have a recommendation for a drybag? Need one for camera for upcoming cruise in Caribbean.

Thanks

Depends on your intended use...

If, say, snorkeling off the beach with no one watching over your valuables, for example, I would recommend a floating dry bag that you can put all your stuff into and go snorkel with them. And it would also act as a safety buoy that would make you more visible to water-vehicle-traffic...

6C66A26B-B96D-4E6B-8E25-C2158D3E1978.jpeg

5 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Any cooler have a recommendation for a drybag? Need one for camera for upcoming cruise in Caribbean.  Thanks

Appreciate these excellent follow-ups from Spins and Stumblefoot.  Yes, am still alive and well.   Not sure as to what you mean by a "drybag".  Tell me more as to what type of a "drybag" you seek.  Something to keep the camera mostly dry and protected . . . OR, a device to keep the camera totally and completely 100% dry against rain and/being underwater?

I have a light plastic protector that I could or can use for mild protection.  I also have a Nikon underwater camera that is totally protected.  Please share more background and specifics as to the level of protections and uses needed.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 225,918 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

Edited by TLCOhio

20 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Appreciate these excellent follow-ups from Spins and Stumblefoot.  Yes, am still alive and well.   Not sure as to what you mean by a "drybag".  Tell me more as to what type of a "drybag" you seek.  Something to keep the camera mostly dry and protected . . . OR, a device to keep the camera totally and completely 100% dry against rain and/being underwater?

I have a light plastic protector that I could or can use for mild protection.  I also have a Nikon underwater camera that is totally protected.  Please share more background and specifics as to the level of protections and uses needed.  

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 225,918 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

Looking for a bag that is 100 percent waterproof and protects my camera or anything else from water intrusion if fell in ocean.

I don't have an underwater camera.

36 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Looking for a bag that is 100 percent waterproof and protects my camera or anything else from water intrusion if fell in ocean.  I don't have an underwater camera.

Great details and follow-up from Spins.  Yes, this helps make it very clear as to what you want, need and seek.  BUT, to be honest, from previously discussions with an expert professional photographer specializing in doing underwater camera efforts, it is not quite easy or cheap to obtain what you seek.  

Why?  Much depends as to how deep in the water your camera might go . . . especially if it fell into the ocean.  For my Nikon AW110 purchased in 2014, shown below, it is not just the camera that is waterproof and protected, but I purchased a red strap that fits on my wrist and has a "floating" protection.  On the camera, as I re-call, it cost me around $200 when I brought it.  A similar (probably upgraded model) today from Nikon runs around $300.  My camera is small and compact (Width 4.3 in., Depth 1 in., Height 2.6 in., Weight 6.81 oz).  As I re-call, this type of waterproof camera, is good and protected if it is used up to about 60' depth of water.  If your camera would go deeper, then the level of protection starts diminishing.  Having a good, secure, floating strap adds to the protection.  

There are types of cases to protect certain professional cameras being used underwater.  Those cases get expensive and more complex to use.  There are plastic bags (such as the Zip-Lock brand), that could provide some protection.  BUT, then it gets into how well you zip and secure that bag, that could become imperfect.  Plus, how deep in the water would any type of plastic-type bag work and be good?  Per those pesky "Laws of Physics", the deeper in the water a camera and bad would go, then the greater the risk of the plastic seal not working as well, damage happening, etc., etc.  

Sorry to be so long and complicated.   BUT, "100 percent waterproof" has a variety of definitions and degrees.  Need more details and background?  Sorry!!  Wish there was one quick, easy device to protected perfectly.  

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 85,592 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Here is a view of my Nikon waterproof camera purchased in 2014.  The red strap keeps it firmly on my wrist AND it has a floating feature to keep it from sinking in the water.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

752571520_CMB_7464-2019-11-19at13-58-10.jpg.52d818599e80e3cbdc00374b36082848.jpg

On 11/4/2019 at 8:16 PM, Lois R said:

OK Coolers.....I will be staying in Madrid for a couple of days after my river cruise.:classic_biggrin:  Which one of you has been there and can recommend a hotel?

We liked the Hyatt Centric on Grand Via. We paid the basic rate and used points for a suite upgrade. Really nice room. Will post a picture in a minute.

Edited to add the picture.

20191115_154623.thumb.jpg.c9867babdb128016ed6801674694fe2c.jpg

It was fairly convenient to public transport and walking distance to Plaza del Sol, The Royal Palace, Plaza Mayor, and a few other sights like the Mercado de San Miguel. It's about 20 minutes to the Prado though coming back it's a lot of uphill.

Now the one annoying part. There is a Metro station right nearby called Gran Via. It's been closed for over a year with no planned reopening date. Apparently the started renovation work and ran into some issue that they haven't figured out how to fix. Kind of a pain for people like us, who plan everything in large cities based on how close to public transport they are... but we managed OK. 

Edited by jpalbny