Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

1 hour ago, spinnaker2 said:

JP

We signed up again for Antarctica from Ushuaia to Capetown. We will be looking forward to your reviews! Have a wonderful journey.

Your ragu looks like what I had hoped to experience on the Shadow. 

The one in 3 months, with Wes et al? Or a different year? I would love to do that Cape to Cape but it's so long. And that pesky thing called work...

IMO you can't just throw some ground meat into sauce and call it ragu. The first time I had the duck ragu, maybe 2010(?) It was clearly slow-braised with actual pieces of meat, tender enough to fall apart into strands of deliciousness while you were eating it. The second time, it was clearly made with ground meat, not braised, in a thin sauce which didn't stick to the pasta. Not nearly as good.

So, I have a recipe that I use to make it at home now. It takes the better part of a day, but it is so worth the time and effort. The slow cooking gives it a texture that can't be duplicated any other way. Even my dish last night was kind of a cheat. But close.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

JP:   We signed up again for Antarctica from Ushuaia to Capetown. We will be looking forward to your reviews! Have a wonderful journey.  

YES!!  Looking forward to JP's reports and visuals from Antarctica.  We would like to do Antarctica, but am a little concerned as to the "roll of the dice" with the weather/sea condition risks in sailing between South America and Antarctica.  Good luck with your conditions and weather.  

Getting ready to head to Kansas City and middle Kansas for Christmas.  Will Central Ohio and these Midwest areas have a White Christmas??  NO!!  Looking like we'll have upper 40's temperatures, no snow and some sunshine on Dec. 25.  Nice and sunny now today in Columbus.  High's today, tomorrow and Sunday here to be 52°, 51° and 55°F.  Still need to get a few more outdoor Christmas lights up this afternoon.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 16,997 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

• Like 1

Ragu . . . . now there's a conundrum.  I have made duck ragu using just duck legs. sometimes tinned confit de canard.  The River Cafe in London used to serve a ragu made from hare and said that was the only fresh meat sauce they served.  I have made this myself just once as hare is hard to find even in the country where I live.  And then there is the more familiar version using only beef or a mixture of beef and pork mince. 

At the base of it is the sofrito - seated diced onion, celery and carrot. Then the meat, previously browned a little in a separate pan.  Then the wine.  I never use tinned tomatoes, merely tomato puree.  Plus bay leaves, herbs (dried are best), salt, pepper and nutmeg.  Some recipes call for milk.  Mine doesn't.  I sometimes have added chicken livers for a creamier result.

It cooks for three hours in a low oven.  Never serve with spaghetti.  Tagliatelle or papardelle is preferred. With parmesan of course. 

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 3

Hi friends, well, my old office had their Christmas lunch today and asked me to join them:classic_smile:.....after being

with them today? I know I am making the right decision by leaving.

The comradery is palpable compared to where I work now.   They also got me a beautiful

vase with lovely flowers.  If I was still in THAT office, I would not be leaving but it is what it is

and retirement is looming and very much looking forward to it.

The weather is nasty here and should be this way for the next few days...rainy and 50s.

So, did any of you see the 2 Carnival ships that ran into each other in Cozumel  today?:classic_wacko:.....crazy....one ship went right into the back of another!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Actually, just the opposite.  The ship that was docking was the forward ship and it was the one that did the vast majority of the damage to itself as it hit the bow of the ship tied to the dock.

Good morning......oh ok, thanks for the correction......it looked like the front of one ship was going into the back of the

other one......:classic_blink:

Did anyone watch the ghastly Channel 5 show last night with the intensely irritating Jane McDonald aboard the Silver Shadow in the Adriatic?  This sort of show would put me off cruising forever but I found it rather mystifying as well.  McDonald never mentioned the name of the ship or the cruise line.  The ship itself had its name and Silversea logo digitally removed from every shot.  Even the staff were without their badges and the guides ashore had their paddles with the name of the ship also removed.  Talk about obsessively removing any trace of product placement.  So what did Silversea get for giving McDonald and her crew a freebie?  

Oh, I also thought the Shadow itself was looking rather tired.  Maybe this was filmed before a refit?

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Lois R said:

So, did any of you see the 2 Carnival ships that ran into each other in Cozumel  today?:classic_wacko:.....crazy....one ship went right into the back of another!

Agree, not good PR and/or confidence image building for Carnival and their huge, massive stable of different brands and ships.  BUT, below is more as for what's coming with Carnival and their latest ship being built.  

From the Wall Street Journal earlier this week, their airline/travel expert profiled the newest ship coming by this cruising empire. The WSJ had this headline: “The Trick to Making a 180,000-Ton Carnival Cruise Ship Feel Cozy” with this sub headline: "The company is reimagining small and large spaces while building its largest ship ever, the Mardi Gras, which can hold 6,641 people."

My guess is that most who have done Silversea and such smaller/more personal ships, would not be too excited about sailing on such a massive cruise liner.  Right??  Even if it offers an outdoor roller coaster option on the top of the ship??   Here are some added story highlights: “Cruise ships are getting bigger and more popular. Yet even with their massive size, every little bit of space counts, especially in small cabins. Sometimes saving inches bedside allows for a significant bathroom upgrade.  Cramming in as many people as possible—with at least a modicum of comfort—is the major challenge of travel, whether on planes, trains, hotels or ships. Individual space is on the decline as travel companies try to boost profitability. Think of the shrunken airplane bathroom.   Cruise ships, which now cost upward of $1 billion to build, present a significant challenge: Repeat customers and social media reviews are crucial to the business. So comfort for the masses actually matters, and it drives ship design.”

I am a Wall Street Journal subscriber, but for many, their "paywall" might not allow full access to the full story and video showing it being constructed in Finland.  Lots of unique details and questions about the future of cruising are contained in the profile for this 180,000-ton floating town three football fields long with 18 decks that will start sailing in late 2020.  Here are a few more background items/insights: "With ships, like planes, bigger size not only allows more features but also brings more restrictions. The size of large rooms or cabin layout on a ship is limited by requirements for fire doors. A vessel that’s too large can’t sail under some bridges or use certain ports. The Mardi Gras, for example, will be too big for its namesake port, New Orleans. Standing in a long line waiting for food would only cement that overcrowded feeling. To disperse hungry passengers, Carnival is strategically placing restaurants in six different neighborhoods. That’s in addition to the big, traditional seated dining room.  The French Quarter, for example, will have an Emeril Lagasse bistro as well as a jazz club, street entertainers, a fortuneteller and a cooking school.

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-trick-to-making-a-180-000-ton-carnival-cruise-ship-feel-cozy-11576665000

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Recently completed Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Lots of visuals and details from our first visits to these scenic areas!!  That live/blog is at: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

20 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Did anyone watch the ghastly Channel 5 show last night with the intensely irritating Jane McDonald aboard the Silver Shadow in the Adriatic?  This sort of show would put me off cruising forever but I found it rather mystifying as well.  McDonald never mentioned the name of the ship or the cruise line.  The ship itself had its name and Silversea logo digitally removed from every shot.  Even the staff were without their badges and the guides ashore had their paddles with the name of the ship also removed.  Talk about obsessively removing any trace of product placement.  So what did Silversea get for giving McDonald and her crew a freebie?  

Oh, I also thought the Shadow itself was looking rather tired.  Maybe this was filmed before a refit?

Spectre has a thread devoted to this.

Got some sad news today. One of my friends, after 7 years medical training and several years in practice, has been struck off for one indiscretion. He was erased from the register for sleeping with one of his patients. 

Its a real shame because he is a genuinely nice guy and brilliant vet. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

Got some sad news today. One of my friends, after 7 years medical training and several years in practice, has been struck off for one indiscretion. He was erased from the register for sleeping with one of his patients. 

Its a real shame because he is a genuinely nice guy and brilliant vet. 

Hi.....not sure what to say about that....is he an M.D.? Not sure I understand--erased? You mean he was fired from

the job, correct?  That would be normal around this side of the pond...….especially these days, sleeping with a patient is a BIG NO NO.

Hi Cam.…..omg.....sorry, I did miss that...……...you mean he is a Vet? As in a Veterinarian? I feel very silly if that

is the case:classic_blink:

I am healing...…...the scar now seems to have some hardness behind it...…..I am guessing that is normal.

Thanks for thinking of me.

TTS... SMH. You almost had me.

Lois, glad to hear that the recovery process is coming along well.

We had an enjoyable weekend in Pennsylvania. We drove down Friday after work and met some friends for dinner; they will be joining us on Silver Cloud in less than two weeks! The excitement is hard to contain.

Then Saturday we saw Chris's Dad for a few hours. We went to the movies Saturday afternoon - we saw a great murder mystery called "Knives Out" which I would highly recommend. The plot twists were superb. And lots of well-known actors in the cast. It reminded me of "Murder on the Orient Express" in that they kept feeding you bits of information which implicated everyone in the murder. And the ending was superb.

This morning we went to the local fruit and vegetable market in Newtown Square, PA, to stock up (not as much as usual, because we leave in 10 days) before driving home. Lots of traffic on the highways, but everyone was moving, so we made it home just before noon. We went out for a walk along the Hudson this afternoon and enjoyed the views of the fresh ice on its surface. The tidal forces really twist that ice into amazing shapes!

20191222_145446.thumb.jpg.705d7c188e5bcbba5185768315abf2f6.jpg

Made a tasty dinner of orecchiette with broccoli rabe and sausage which went well with a Mourvèdre from California. Now relaxing before yet another week on call starts tomorrow.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi Cam.…..omg.....sorry, I did miss that...……...you mean he is a Vet? As in a Veterinarian? I feel very silly if that

is the case:classic_blink:

I am healing...…...the scar now seems to have some hardness behind it...…..I am guessing that is normal.

Thanks for thinking of me.

I am very glad you are doing well.  I lurk at times, although I have been following the Crystal boards as I've cruised twice with them.  That board is tough!  Crystal, however, has been a good alternative, though I tend to prefer Silversea and Seabourn.  Keep well!

JP.....when do you leave? I sail on the Wind Jan 16th.....my first time on that ship. I was very glad the Dr

said to go ahead with it.....I really did not want to cancel.  

I keep wondering how long it will take for my body to really feel normal again....I guess it will take as long

as it takes. 

Thanks Cam, I had looked at both of those lines---never sailed either though. I had booked

one with Seabourn but ended up cancelling it.

On 12/20/2019 at 11:57 AM, Fletcher said:

Ragu . . . . now there's a conundrum.  I have made duck ragu using just duck legs. sometimes tinned confit de canard.  The River Cafe in London used to serve a ragu made from hare and said that was the only fresh meat sauce they served.  I have made this myself just once as hare is hard to find even in the country where I live.  And then there is the more familiar version using only beef or a mixture of beef and pork mince. 

At the base of it is the sofrito - seated diced onion, celery and carrot. Then the meat, previously browned a little in a separate pan.  Then the wine.  I never use tinned tomatoes, merely tomato puree.  Plus bay leaves, herbs (dried are best), salt, pepper and nutmeg.  Some recipes call for milk.  Mine doesn't.  I sometimes have added chicken livers for a creamier result.

It cooks for three hours in a low oven.  Never serve with spaghetti.  Tagliatelle or papardelle is preferred. With parmesan of course. 

Made ragu yesterday. It's delish. 

Thanks for the inspiration Fletcher and JP

Still suffering with mal de debarquement. I think it's the longest I have ever had it.

I now can correlate it to deck level and pitching and rolling and bow bop.

Last time I had it this length of time we were on deck 11. This time deck 9. Similar wave actions both times. 

🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

That is really wild.  I had never heard of it before, so had to look it up.  Sounds no fun at all.  Do you feel better when driving or riding in a car?

Yes feel better driving a car which is weird. 

It takes time but I am definitely getting better! 

• Like 1

Spins, I'm sorry to hear about this. I hope it passes quickly. It typically does get better while driving so that is pretty normal IMO.

But I usually think of "mal de debarquement" in another way. For me, it's the very sad feeling of leaving the ship and realizing that nobody's going to cook for you, and that the drinks are no longer free!

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1