Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

The fires are terrible here at the moment. We are near Melbourne so not near them although the air is very smokey.  We were meant to be at a nieces wedding in the country this weekend but she called it all off a month ago. The little town where the celebration was to be held was evacuated yesterday because of the fires. Getting 150 people from the town in an emergency would have been difficult with fires along the road. 

JP, I think you stayed at Southern Ocean Lodge on Kangaroo Island when you were in Australia a few years ago. It has been destroyed in a fire today.  We stayed there 4 years ago and it was an amazing place on an amazing island. Very sad. 

On 1/4/2020 at 7:38 AM, jillyf said:

JP, I think you stayed at Southern Ocean Lodge on Kangaroo Island when you were in Australia a few years ago. It has been destroyed in a fire today.  We stayed there 4 years ago and it was an amazing place on an amazing island. Very sad. 

Oh that's terrible. Indeed very sad, and hard to believe. I didn't know that the fires had also been on Kangaroo Island. How devastating. A tragic loss of habitat and life.

Edited by jpalbny

In honor of Mysty’s daily funny, I submit the pic from yesterday’s bird lecture aboard the Silver Cloud along with additional context below.

Only When Sailing to South Georgia...

Would a German presenter show this well known bird as an “Eagle” with an American questioning if he was serious while a Canadian shouted to fellow Canadians in the lecture hall that the National Junior Hockey Team just won the world championship.

Being clever, I thought (to myself, mind you), well... when another Canadian yells out, “what was the score?”.  

I couldn’t help but just laugh (and then start coughing, of course). 😁

5DF8D9F1-3526-47BE-BDCF-E21C90F03D51.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/4/2020 at 5:38 AM, jillyf said:

The fires are terrible here at the moment. We are near Melbourne so not near them although the air is very smokey.  

YES, sadly, regarding Kangaroo Island and many areas in Australia, it appears to be very, very tragic.  From news reports, it appears that a third of this super scenic Kangaroo Island has been destroyed or damage by fire.  Huge wildlife losses, etc. We super loved KI and its people, animals, sights, nature, etc., during our visit there over two days in 2014.    Plus, our other Australia memories for the Great Barrier Reef, Sydney and Tasmania are fresh and wonderful.  Our best to those in Australia in dealing with these fires and re-building.  

From the Australian Broadcasting Company, they had this headline story: “Kangaroo Island fires continue as locals count cost of damage to infrastructure, animals” with these key highlights: “About 170,000, or a third of Kangaroo Island, has been burnt in bushfires.  SA Water estimates it could take two weeks to restore a water treatment plant after it was damaged. There are concerns for endangered wildlife recovery, especially for the endangered glossy black cockatoo.   The fires started on Kangaroo Island on December 20 but they spread rapidly on Friday when the temperature in Parndana topped 39 degrees Celsius and winds reached up to 80 kilometres per hour. ll buildings within the Flinders Chase National Park appeared to have been destroyed, apart from the Cape du Couedic and Cape Borda lighthouses on the far west coast.”

From the London/UK Daily Mail, they indicated that the famed and pricy Southern Ocean Lodge on Kangaroo Island has totally been destroyed by this fire.  We considered staying at this top-ranked resort, but our budget was more limited.  We stayed at a wonderful B&B with a great couple who prepared a wonderful dinner and breakfast for us.   This story summarized: "The Southern Ocean Lodge on Kangaroo Island off the coast of Australia was razed by the ferocious fires on Friday afternoon.  The 21-suite accommodation was evacuated on Friday and staff were relocated to Adelaide and the small Kangaroo Island township of Kingscote amid threats of the oncoming bushfire.  The luxury retreat suffered structural damage and has been closed with no reopening date decided."

Full stories at:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-05/firefighting-continues-on-kangaroo-island-on-sunday/11841610

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7850737/Southern-Ocean-Lodge-Kangaroo-Island-wiped-Raven-bushfire-killed-two-people.html

THANKS!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 227,493 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

Apparently we need to stop staying in nice hotels. This is the third property we've stayed in which was subsequently devastated or destroyed by fire. Ras Nungwi on Zanzibar was first. Princesse Bora Lodge on Île Ste-Marie was next. Now Southern Ocean Lodge. Hard to believe.

9 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

This is the third property we've stayed in which was subsequently devastated or destroyed by fire.

Holy cow!  Quite coincidental.

How many ships have you sailed on that subsequently sunk?  I might want to store that bit of info for future cruise planning.

29 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Apparently we need to stop staying in nice hotels. This is the third property we've stayed in which was subsequently devastated or destroyed by fire. Ras Nungwi on Zanzibar was first. Princesse Bora Lodge on Île Ste-Marie was next. Now Southern Ocean Lodge. Hard to believe.

Hi, J.P.  We have a nice guest suite at our home and would be happy to invite you and your DW to stay here if in the Central Ohio area.  BUT, given your apparent "bad luck" in bringing fire dangers, we might have to reevaluate such an invitation.  Be careful!!  Good luck as you pick your future destinations.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 65,409 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

It's nice and sunny here today in Central Ohio.  Need proof and evidence?  See below!!  For most of the month of January, things upcoming seem fairly decent and mild.  Friday to be a high of 56F per AccuWeather.  Mostly later this month in the upper 30's and 40'sF.  Not too bad for a Midwest winter, so far.  Limited changes of snow and/or super cold weather.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 48,062 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Just a few minutes ago, here was the view from our family room window.  We had two visitors doing their usual munching and enjoying of our greenery.  Always interesting having wildlife at our back door!:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

1835949401_ScreenShot2020-01-06at1_08_20PM.thumb.png.8d45471db5e932615c75ac88cde13d04.png

• Like 1

Good ones, M!

Especially relevant while we are on a Silversea cruise. Lots of food and wine everywhere we look. 

Finished South Georgia yesterday with two great landings. We got very lucky with the weather these past 3 days and landed a total of 4 times. What a cool destination. 

Now in the Drake, headed towards Antarctica. Rough seas overnight but should get calmer as the day progresses. Two sea days to look forward to. 

Internet is very slow. Pictures take forever to upload. But having a great time regardless. 

• Like 1

Afternoon coolers and a very Happy Birthday Chris! 
‘Have any coolers got much experience of Arctic cruises? We are thinking about the Cloud this summer and there are 2 types of cruise repeated twice, the 11 night Reykjavik to Longyearbyen (and reverse) with lots of named ports or the 9 nights Longyearbyen to Tromso (and reverse) with no named ports other than Northern and Southern Svalbard and Bear Island. Anyone have any insight on which would be better? An Arctic Cruise is way up on the list but as it’s my 50th this year I’d love to do it if I can arrange things. I’m also hoping to book the Moon for my actual 50th in October (2 months after the inaugural, we’re never making that mistake again!) Hope all are well,

I’m loving the Antarctic adventures coolers are on at the mo. So wish I was there.

Are you counting the hours yet Lois?

• Like 1