Cruise Critic Community
CCHelp

Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

Greetings Coolers!

Today's funny.....

e3fd30816eadabb245e171855367326e.jpg.4a447cac7ba4aa31bdd228f90011ffbc.jpg

Have a great day all!

Greetings Coolers!

Today's funny comes courtesy of Turtle (thank you).....

87980792_3094747563892726_1345137895446413312_n.jpg.be90e6a291068e0d78456b67a2953b67.jpg

Have a great day all!

Looks just like my lovely pup of 16. MS. Eloise of the Plaza.

Only bounds like that now when it's time to round up vittles.

54 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

F5FAAF69-2A03-4AEF-8AD2-082BBDB0E6EC.jpeg

Surely that has to be a meme? Please say it is. Please tell me that the readership isn't wasting millions of years of evolution. 

11 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

Surely that has to be a meme? Please say it is. Please tell me that the readership isn't wasting millions of years of evolution. 

It is a meme.

FB_IMG_1583112394147.jpg

Made some pan-seared duck breast with raspberries for dinner tonight. Got the meat nicely medium-rare and the skin crispy, just how we like it.

There was a nice raspberry, honey, and butter pan sauce not pictured.

20200301_174823.thumb.jpg.2da7a1c35e5a0d6d1d311340fde5e119.jpg

The potatoes are (unfortunately) not fried in the duck fat. Had to draw the line somewhere! Since we walked 4 miles outside today, we didn't want to eat all those calories back in one meal...

I did cook the liver in the duck fat, then blended it with shallots and herbes de Provence to make a kind of fake foie gras. That will be a delicious snack some time this week, after it sets into a nice pate.

So all in all it was a nice, relaxing weekend, mostly at home, but we did meet friends for dinner last night. We needed the break, otherwise it was lots of house cleaning, which was overdue. Booked more trips, so that was exciting. 

Going to see my dad's new place in SW Virginia in a few weeks, and then the weekend after that, we fly to Louisville and will try to get to Mammoth Cave NP. An early birthday present for me, since I'm on call for my actual birthday. Should be fun!

Grocery shopping was interesting this morning. First day of New York's plastic bag ban. We dug out a bunch of reusable bags last week to do a test run. Worked ok. So today we were ready.

Have a great week all!

Greetings Coolers!

Today's funny.....

unnamed.jpg.8beb6b854cf0e1f3fcd6a04beae4d83b.jpg

Have a great day all!

Good morning, JP...….that is the food I miss seeing:classic_biggrin: looks delicious.

Tomorrow will be one week since my final treatment. I think it is going to be a long haul for me to be all healed and

I hope by April 5th it will be a lot better than it is now. I have my first follow up Dr appt next week and hopefully

the Dr says this looks normal. The soreness of the peeled area is so annoying:classic_sad:.  I have been reading up on

the after affects of radiation....the skin just gets pummeled.:classic_blink:  Not much I can do really. At least I don't have to

worry about work anymore:classic_smile:.....just saline solution, moisturize and silvadene and repeat.

Yeah, Lois, RT is tough stuff. And the reaction is delayed which makes it hard to predict. I hope you turn the corner soon and start healing. Sounds like you are doing all the right things to ensure that.

Thanks for the nice comments about last night's dinner. No idea what's in store for tonight, though.

We are still waiting to hear what will happen to our China trip in June. For all we know, the virus will have peaked and run its course in China by then, so maybe we will be able to go. If not, I have no idea where we'd go in place of the China trip, because seemingly everywhere else has cases. 

It's not that we're particularly worried about what would happen if/when we catch it, since we're low risk for having a serious case. True, I'd rather not catch it, than catch it...But sitting at home isn't entirely safe either, as we both work in hospitals and people cough all over us on a daily basis. The bigger concern would be getting stuck somewhere in a quarantine, unable to get home, after a trip to a region that suddenly becomes a hot spot. Though we have the sick time to use for such a situation, it would be a major imposition on our colleagues to cover us if our holiday were to be extended for another two weeks.

So for now I'm planning some weekends in the US. We will go visit my Dad's new place in a few weeks (Virginia) and also I planned a weekend in Louisville to go see Mammoth Cave. Should be a fun couple of trips, even though the locations are somewhat less exotic than, say, Antarctica.

I really want to go to Montreal some time this spring but currently our passports  are  at the State Department, getting renewed, and have been there for the past four weeks. You'd think I wouldn't miss them for a few weeks, but I do! Hopefully they will get back to us soon, because we will need to apply for the Chinese visa if we're doing that trip.

All for now.

Hi JP, I haven't taken this much Ibruprofin in a long time..seems to be the only thing that works. I mean after the surgery I took the pain pills (prescribed)...but that was surgery.

This is just a PITA....I had to go out this morning to run some errands and by the time I got home

I just had to sit down and not do anything....(I was only out for a couple of hours).

My cruise arrives in Barcelona on April 22nd and then I am flying to Lisbon for the river cruise on the Douro. So,

Spain and Porto both have cases now too.  I have to hope both trips go as scheduled.....I leave Ft. Lauderdale

4/6.......

5 hours ago, jpalbny said:

So for now I'm planning some weekends in the US. We will go visit my Dad's new place in a few weeks (Virginia) and also I planned a weekend in Louisville to go see Mammoth Cave. Should be a fun couple of trips, even though the locations are somewhat less exotic than, say, Antarctica.

Hello all,  

Long-time lurker here with suddenly a lot more time on my hands to participate in the boards for now due to slowdown in my business travel schedule.        One suggestion for a really wonderful place in the U.S., especially for those who enjoy great food, wine, scenery and activities is Blackberry Farm in Tennessee.    Really loved it when I visited a few years ago after a foodie friend suggested it.

Wishing I could go anywhere!

Tore some stuff in my knee including meniscus.

Just watching others go and do.

Hoping no surgery which I understand would have been done immediately if I was 40.

5 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Hoping no surgery which I understand would have been done immediately if I was 40.

Hi Spins, ouch! so sorry about your knee and hope you are on the mend very soon.:classic_smile:

16 minutes ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

Hello all,  

Long-time lurker here with suddenly a lot more time on my hands to participate in the boards for now due to slowdown in my business travel schedule.        One suggestion for a really wonderful place in the U.S., especially for those who enjoy great food, wine, scenery and activities is Blackberry Farm in Tennessee.    Really loved it when I visited a few years ago after a foodie friend suggested it.

Welcome! Sounds like a really neat place to visit:classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, spinnaker2 said:

Take it slow and easy Spins!  Hope you recover smoothly!

Thanks Mysty.

It's not life threatening. Just so life interrupting.

Having to use walker and developing a new appreciation for this impairment. 

3 hours ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

One suggestion for a really wonderful place in the U.S., especially for those who enjoy great food, wine, scenery and activities is Blackberry Farm in Tennessee.

Not sure SS has a small enough ship to reach the farm. 😉

3 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Spins,

Last summer when I tore my shoulder cartilage (superior labrum), my doctor said if I were 25 he would operate, but after 40 he said the operation is often not successful.  I  replied that I was more than those two numbers together! 😟

On the other hand,  my knee ligaments seems to have regenerated.  Hang in there.

Greetings Coolers!

Today's funny.....

dog-funny-vegan-and-food-memes-very-veganish.jpg.7a15198480d4928800bfb31ba8581f43.jpg

Have a great day all!

Spins, hope your knee mends soon. Meniscus surgery has become controversial. There are at least two studies showing no difference in long-term outcomes between surgery and no surgery. Hope for improvement, and that you'll be back at it soon!

JP

TY.

I did some research after I read the MRI report/findings.

Ortho is conservative. I begged for PT but too early bc of other pathology.

Best news was virtually no arthritis in knee.

I will be back to kicking b ... soon!!

🙂

2 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Spins, hope your knee mends soon. Meniscus surgery has become controversial. There are at least two studies showing no difference in long-term outcomes between surgery and no surgery. Hope for improvement, and that you'll be back at it soon!

That’s interesting.  I wasn’t aware of that.  As a skier who tore my meniscus and ACL, my orthopedic surgeon fixed everything at one time.  But,  mind you, that was 20-years ago.  Medicine still astonishes (in a good way) me.