Jump to content

Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five


Recommended Posts

I haven't even any idea of what email notifications are, so even more of a computer ignoramus than you,  Lvshack.  Don't like the new way of setting things out much, apart from  the reduction in size of previous posts, which you can bring up, which is helpful as I used to get very tired of scrolling through very long posts and pictures which I had already seen.

 

To us in the UK 11th November is Armistice Day, and the day when we have a two minute silence at 11 a.m. to remember all those who died in the two world wars, and wear red poppies to represent the poppies in the fields in Flanders in the 1914 war.   The 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, when the First War officially ended in 1918.  Hope I have got these facts right.

 

Every year there is a service of remembrance at the Cenotaph in London, with the silence, followed by members of the Royal family and  representatives of the forces laying poppy wreaths at the foot of the Cenotaph, normally but sadly not this year followed by a huge procession of veterans - many now very old of course.  It is a very moving event, and it is good to see that young people are nowadays really interested, which I have to say was not the case when I was young.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TRIPACIAN said:

Yesterday Dr Fauci said that everyone (in the US) that wanted the vaccine should be able to get it.  That is good news, certainly not the final answer, but maybe we can start cruising again.

 

YES, it is good news that the vaccine will be available to "ALL".  But, when and how???  It will take time.  Over a number of months and months during 2021!! 

 

AND, this one developed by Pfizer will require two different shots, plus some very "extreme" storage cold standards.  It will not be a vaccine where every CVS, Walgreens and local doctor's office will be able to stock the material and administer it locally in every neighborhood and each separate, smaller community.  

 

Good news, but, if and if.  Just being realistic, not negative.  Does J.P. and/or others have better information/background?

 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

 

985609336_ScreenShot2020-11-11at11_36_27AM.png.7dd663a51c9f87a1c5227468281a33a8.png

1678139867_ScreenShot2020-11-11at11_15_34AM.png.9062c891b8f0cbd52f3f6833d5280123.png

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, zqtchas said:

And here I thought you were a kept woman!!😇

 

Kept?  Well I've been with Myster since 1974 so he has kept me.  😁  And he will gladly inform you that my road to sainthood is full of potholes.  I did work outside the home as a statistician and have been retired for a while.  My business card now is not work related.  🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, mysty said:

 

Kept?  Well I've been with Myster since 1974 so he has kept me.  😁  And he will gladly inform you that my road to sainthood is full of potholes.  I did work outside the home as a statistician and have been retired for a while.  My business card now is not work related.  🤣

Good “work”.  We have been  kept since 1963. 😓

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Wishing all those who served and to those serving, and to the one's who have made the ultimate sacrifice----Happy Veteran's Day.  Thank you all for your service.

 

Agree, Lois, it is vital to recognize why November 11 is such an important day for honoring those who have made the "ULTIMATE SACRIFICE".  From our travels, below are two of the most "moving" sites we have ever visited, Hawaii's Pearl Harbor and the Normandy D-Day landing and burial site.  

 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

 

From our travels, here are a couple of important memories of major significance to honor these important military veterans.  First from 2014, it is visiting Pearl Harbor and the memorial for those killed during the December 7 attack on the USS Arizona.  Second is from 1995 when visiting the D-Day landing site and burial/memorial location next to the Normandy landing site.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

TLC_0709.jpeg.a940c7f07d8d63eae1f460cfc3a9343f.jpeg

 

01280_n_9aeu76nwm1760.jpeg.e399c7c0337c58d7c8ed30ded60afe37.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi JP,   how are things with your hospital? Looks like cases are going horribly bad all over 

the country👎☹️

 

Picking up, not bad in the hospital yet, but we are definitely seeing an uptick. Cases in our country are skyrocketing though, so it's only a matter of time before it catches up, I'm afraid.

 

We have had a record number of cases each day for the last week or so. Even more cases than we had at the height of the pandemic in April. Perhaps we are testing more and picking up more mild cases...one can only hope!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

Technically speaking, isn't Memorial Day the official day to remember those who died in war, and Veterans Day to honor the living veterans? Not that some extra honor is a bad thing, mind you...

I was just wishing all a thank you really.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, lincslady said:

To us in the UK 11th November is Armistice Day, and the day when we have a two minute silence at 11 a.m. to remember all those who died in the two world wars, and wear red poppies to represent the poppies in the fields in Flanders in the 1914 war.   The 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, when the First War officially ended in 1918.  Hope I have got these facts right.

 

Every year there is a service of remembrance at the Cenotaph in London, with the silence, followed by members of the Royal family and  representatives of the forces laying poppy wreaths at the foot of the Cenotaph, normally but sadly not this year followed by a huge procession of veterans - many now very old of course.  It is a very moving event, and it is good to see that young people are nowadays really interested, which I have to say was not the case when I was young.

Just to add - the Cenotaph service is on Remembrance Sunday, which is the 2nd Sunday in November.

 

One of the war memorials in Harrow is right opposite the College I work in. I could not do anything on Sunday (no parade etc.) but we had a wreath laying at 11am today at this memorial. I am the Branch Secretary of the local Royal British Legion branch so I made sure that I was there, suited and booted, medals, regimental tie and all that.

 

It was gratifying to see how many students were asking about it - what were the medals for, what was remembrance all about etc.. It was slightly un-gratifying how many had no clue what it was all about. There is an improvement in kids knowledge, but we have a lot of work to do there yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, zqtchas said:

Hey Q, you back yet?  How’d it go?

Thanks for asking Chas, and for the concerns voiced by others earlier.  Released from hospital today at noon, surgery a success, surgeon said disk had slipped badly pressing on a nerve. Pain tonight just an echo of what it was.

Lesson learned: if pain in shoulder starts migrating down arm, taking an extra NSAID is not the correct course of action!  The surgeons can work what approaches magic to this engineer's eye, but delaying a doctor visit only makes the damage worse and the surgery more challenging.

Anyway, episode over.  Repaired and ready to cruise!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mysty said:

I did work outside the home as a statistician and have been retired for a while.

 

Now that we know what you did professionally, I would love to read your perspective and interpretation of the survey posted by HappyCamper777 today in another thread.

Edited by Stumblefoot
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

 

Now that we know what you did professionally, I would love to read your perspective and interpretation of the survey posted by HappyCamper777 today in another thread.

 

That sounds like fun Stumbles!  Can you give me directions to the thread please?  I worked at Statistics Canada (our country's equivalent to your Census Bureau) as an data analyst.  We were tasked often times with "wording questions" so as not to introduce a bias.  

Edited by mysty
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, QueSeraSera said:

Thanks for asking Chas, and for the concerns voiced by others earlier.  Released from hospital today at noon, surgery a success, surgeon said disk had slipped badly pressing on a nerve. Pain tonight just an echo of what it was.

Lesson learned: if pain in shoulder starts migrating down arm, taking an extra NSAID is not the correct course of action!  The surgeons can work what approaches magic to this engineer's eye, but delaying a doctor visit only makes the damage worse and the surgery more challenging.

Anyway, episode over.  Repaired and ready to cruise!

Hi, glad you are doing better!🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

 

Now that we know what you did professionally, I would love to read your perspective and interpretation of the survey posted by HappyCamper777 today in another thread.

 

 

I found the thread you referenced Stumbles.  My first reaction is that they are missing the point.  People do not return to this line because of the "perks".  The survey is attempting to identify the most valued of options to keep people coming back.  The questions are intended to deep dive into people's attraction to the line and what they would consider as "rewards" for coming back.  The questions are clearly designed to allow for fine tuning of "reward" for being loyal to the line.  What they are overlooking and what many loyal fans consistently rave about is the staff!  I'm not at all sure the results of this survey will give them any useful information.  When you design a survey it is key to identify what you really need to know.  The survey in question does not do that in my humble opinion.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising, the River Cruise Experts
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...