Jump to content

Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

 

Saint Mysty!  Her feast day is Dec. 31 :classic_biggrin:

 

Ha ha ha!   You have no idea how many people would be doubled over in laughter at that very idea!   🤣  No halo on this head Jazz!  More thoughts of men in white coats and restrictive jackets!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Isn't South Beach the same thing as Adkins? Low on all the carbs?

I really don’t know, Lois.  I’m just following the requirements set forth by DW and enjoying it. 😳

 

I can tell you, the first 2-weeks were literally no bad carbs at all.  Basically, all of our carbs came from tasty veggies during that initial 2-week period.  As a result, I lost -5% of my weight.

 

In the next phase, I could reintroduce a “bad” carb and track how my body adjusted.  For me, I chose fruit, i.e. sugar.  Over 2-weeks, I lost another 1%.  
 

Last week (week #5), I introduced another “bad” carb and tracked my progress.  For me, I reintroduced root vegetables (sugar and starch) and lost another 2lbs. which was -0.8%.

 

As my friend JP can tell you, I’ve also started adding alcohol back into my diet.  Slowly.  Which, of course, totally disappointed him.  In week #5 I had two 4-ounce glasses of wine.  And, I cut my tonic (Elderflower) with TopoChico (half-and-half) in my G&T.  Of course, that was quite sacrilegious to our mutual friend, JP.  But, after being alcohol free for a month, I found it quite tasty! 😁🤪😂

 

So, here I am in week #6 and DW & I checked into the Ritz Carlton (Bachelor Gulch) tonight (which Ms. Spins knows) as we prepare to snow ski with, and entertain, a client tomorrow.  I didn’t have a single bad carb all day, so at tonight’s dinner I enjoyed a glass of champagne and Sancerre.  After dinner found us in the hotel’s living room (see pic and imagine more than half of the furniture removed) enjoying a live guitarist singing famous tunes from the ‘60s and ‘70s while I sipped a 12-year old Irish whiskey (Redbreast) while wearing masks and safely socially distanced from fellow hotel guests.  I’ll let you know if I screwed anything up when weigh in day occurs on Monday. 🤞

26947EFA-EFE2-49F1-B9F0-F1DEACD5E8F7.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope no one will mind that I mention another cruise line here.  Noble Caledonia is a quirky British line that sails three of the first-generation Renaissance ships [from a decade before the famous 'R-ships' of Azamara and Oceania fame] and an even older converted ferry named Serenissima.  While everyone's land-bound, they have created a section of their website called The Travel Post, and one regular feature is a reminiscence by Cruise Director Neil Horrocks of his experiences over the years.  Each weekly update starts with the highlight of his lockdown life, and this week's had a line that made me laugh out loud.  Speaking of a daring attempt [did I mention he is a bachelor?] to rise above frozen pancakes and use a batter-in-a-box, he slipped this in:  "I have a smoke alarm in the kitchen which doubles as my timer."

 

If you find that funny, as I did, you might like to read more of Neil's blog:

https://www.noble-caledonia.co.uk/the-travel-post/cruise-director-s-corner/

 

There are also terrific columns by the onboard lecturers and the expedition leaders (and recipes from the executive chef).  So warning:  The Travel Post is a rabbit warren from which you may not emerge until it's time for next week's update!

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, zqtchas said:

here is a great die(t)

Scary video but the sort of place I would probably try out if passing.

However my wife is Swiss and if there is one thing guaranteed to really annoy them it is the Swiss flag emblem being associated with first aid/medical care. What's wrong with a red cross

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Nothing, other than bad carbs, carbs, carbs when you're trying to lose weight. Amen all of our desires for different tastes.  Our problem is we like almost all tastes!  And, as a result, those tastes have really added the pounds over the years.  But, a little over five weeks to cutting wheat and bad carbs from our diet, we're taking those pounds off now, slow and steady.

 

Minor details about those pesky carbs.  Right?  Great success by Stumblefoot with the significant weight loss.  Congratulations!!  

 

"TASTES" can be the challenge.  I like the good and varied tastes connected with pasta and other excellent foods.  That's the difficulty.  Fortunately, I am little taller at 6' 2", hiding a little of the middle-body spread.  Maybe?  Especially during this Covid-19 shut-down period, it is not easy fighting those weight battles versus enjoying the tasty treats.

 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

670636180_ScreenShot2021-02-25at8_42_37AM.thumb.png.86d1dbc38cac37933e8deb5bdb5f73b8.png

2059729583_ScreenShot2021-02-25at8_43_11AM.thumb.png.8022d906de45265ea9ec9078aa2ea012.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

I really don’t know, Lois.  I’m just following the requirements set forth by DW and enjoying it. 😳

 

I can tell you, the first 2-weeks were literally no bad carbs at all.  Basically, all of our carbs came from tasty veggies during that initial 2-week period.  As a result, I lost -5% of my weight.

 

In the next phase, I could reintroduce a “bad” carb and track how my body adjusted.  For me, I chose fruit, i.e. sugar.  Over 2-weeks, I lost another 1%.  
 

Last week (week #5), I introduced another “bad” carb and tracked my progress.  For me, I reintroduced root vegetables (sugar and starch) and lost another 2lbs. which was -0.8%.

 

As my friend JP can tell you, I’ve also started adding alcohol back into my diet.  Slowly.  Which, of course, totally disappointed him.  In week #5 I had two 4-ounce glasses of wine.  And, I cut my tonic (Elderflower) with TopoChico (half-and-half) in my G&T.  Of course, that was quite sacrilegious to our mutual friend, JP.  But, after being alcohol free for a month, I found it quite tasty! 😁🤪😂

 

So, here I am in week #6 and DW & I checked into the Ritz Carlton (Bachelor Gulch) tonight (which Ms. Spins knows) as we prepare to snow ski with, and entertain, a client tomorrow.  I didn’t have a single bad carb all day, so at tonight’s dinner I enjoyed a glass of champagne and Sancerre.  After dinner found us in the hotel’s living room (see pic and imagine more than half of the furniture removed) enjoying a live guitarist singing famous tunes from the ‘60s and ‘70s while I sipped a 12-year old Irish whiskey (Redbreast) while wearing masks and safely socially distanced from fellow hotel guests.  I’ll let you know if I screwed anything up when weigh in day occurs on Monday. 🤞

26947EFA-EFE2-49F1-B9F0-F1DEACD5E8F7.jpeg

Where is the photo? It is beautiful😃

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Reef Knot said:

Scary video but the sort of place I would probably try out if passing.

However my wife is Swiss and if there is one thing guaranteed to really annoy them it is the Swiss flag emblem being associated with first aid/medical care. What's wrong with a red cross

You mean the waitresses' uniforms?  I hadn't even noticed their uniforms!  Had to watch it again to check.  Thanks for the excuse!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

You mean the waitresses' uniforms?  I hadn't even noticed their uniforms!  Had to watch it again to check.  Thanks for the excuse!!!

 

Nice try Jazz!  🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2021 at 12:36 PM, spinnaker2 said:

Ischia( episode 1) is not to be missed. So much prettier than Capri.

A very different island.  I have spent time on both and love them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...