Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

On the subject of wine (well, ok, it was a while ago since it came up), tonight's sauvignon blanc was selected by my wife at a great price - always a call for hesitation - from Spain - dear lord I think we're going to hell in a handbasket here.

I thought it was quite good on first sip, and as we finish the bottle, still find it good, if with a bit of an unwanted sweet note.  No threat to New Zealand, but not a disaster either.

So, I was wondering if others have tried Spanish sauvignon blanc, and any reactions? 

37 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

...I was wondering if others have tried Spanish sauvignon blanc, and any reactions? 

We have not.  When drinking Sauvignon Blanc, they are either from Bordeaux or California and occasionally a inexpensive bottling from New Zealand (i.e. Kim Crawford).

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

We have not.  When drinking Sauvignon Blanc, they are either from Bordeaux or California and occasionally a inexpensive bottling from New Zealand (i.e. Kim Crawford).

We think Oyster Bay is better than Kim and since not a big name from NZ is less than $10.00 here.

We prefer the NZ ones mostly. I am tired of Bordeauxs

Edited by zqtchas

Tonight the episode was Stanley in Bologna😃........the cheeses looked so good and so did

the balsamic. Anyone else watch? 

8 hours ago, Lois R said:

Tonight the episode was Stanley in Bologna😃........the cheeses looked so good and so did

Not yet but will do some time this week. I'm on call until Friday so it may be a few days until I get to it.

Here's an interesting recipe for the chefs here in the Cooler.....

155134685_5728163477201166_4629888482177148513_n.jpg.6f64679c621dea2a2e59377e69f12638.jpg

Our local butcher said that he will not have fresh camel until later this summer.  🤣

M, that recipe may be even more work than a turducken! Not in any rush to try it. 80-100 guests is verboten these days anyway, so we'd have too many leftovers.

Good morning,  March 1st.......we are "supposed" to be lowering of the age of people who can get vaccines  sometime this month.

Lets see if they will follow through with that statement.

And March 1st is also National Pig Day.......so

happynationalpigday Instagram posts (photos and videos) - Picuki.com

1 hour ago, mysty said:

Here's an interesting recipe for the chefs here in the Cooler.....

155134685_5728163477201166_4629888482177148513_n.jpg.6f64679c621dea2a2e59377e69f12638.jpg

Our local butcher said that he will not have fresh camel until later this summer.  🤣

How can that be a crab cake with no crab?

24 minutes ago, zqtchas said:

I guess that could be related to the mountain oyster recipe?

I certainly hope not!  I did have to research what a mountain oyster is.  Really nothing to do with mountains or oysters so I do get your point Chas!  🤣

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning,  March 1st.......we are "supposed" to be lowering of the age of people who can get vaccines  sometime this month.   And March 1st is also National Pig Day..

Good luck for all seeking their vaccine shots.  Starting my second full day after getting my second Moderna "JAB" Saturday afternoon.  All still very good and fine with me.  No problems or challenges from my perspective.  My wife had a little effect and tiredness yesterday afternoon and evening.  She's much better today.

Will pass on making comment and the danger-zone with today being "National Pig Day".  However . . . Happy March!!  Getting much closer to wonderful Spring weather and time when I can be out on our screened porch.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

1058536806_ScreenShot2021-03-01at11_29_44AM.png.2dfed501c7f9cce123b9791532d8b140.png

1615880724_ScreenShot2021-03-01at11_34_54AM.thumb.png.cc97f49c238d7c8c9b61755dd4803bc1.png

I have a question, we are thinking about doing the Nov 10, 2022 ATH-ATH on the Silver Spirit it goes to Haifa and Ashdod, has anyone been to those 2 places and how is the Med sea in that area then? Thank you so much. BTW we only will be putting down a deposit now.

8 minutes ago, silkismom said:

I have a question, we are thinking about doing the Nov 10, 2022 ATH-ATH on the Silver Spirit it goes to Haifa and Ashdod, has anyone been to those 2 places and how is the Med sea in that area then? Thank you so much. BTW we only will be putting down a deposit now.

I have been there before but it was when I was in my 20s.......I lived in Israel for about a year.

I am sure you are wanting a more current update on the area.🙂

7 minutes ago, silkismom said:

We have been to both in 2016.  And loved them both!  We had no trouble with rough waters in that part of the cruise.

Terry, what danger zone about National Pig Day? I LOVE pork....pork roast, pork chops, 

sweet and sour pork........and of course bacon......😃

17 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

love the entre-deux-mers

We're partial to Château Smith-Haut-Lafitte's Pessac-Léognan White and Château d'Yquem's "Y" which are both blends of Sauvignon Blanc and Sémillon, as well as Sauvignon Gris in Lafitte's case.

16 hours ago, zqtchas said:

We think Oyster Bay is better than Kim and since not a big name from NZ is less than $10.00 here.

It's all a matter of taste, Chas.  Oyster Bay is a tiny, tiny brand in the U.S. (10,000 cases imported) whereas Kim is an absolute monster (1,400,000 cases imported).  To consistently produce a wine of such quality year after year in the magnitude of shear volume that Kim does is truly remarkable.

16 hours ago, Lois R said:

It's awaiting me on the DVR this week.

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:
18 hours ago, zqtchas said:

It's all a matter of taste, Chas.  Oyster Bay is a tiny, tiny brand in the U.S. (10,000 cases imported) whereas Kim is an absolute monster (1,400,000 cases imported).  To consistently produce a wine of such quality year after year in the magnitude of shear volume that Kim does is truly remarkable.

Every country has their "Gallo".🙂

3 hours ago, silkismom said:

The Med is usually benign. Israel is probably my favourite country to visit (been twice - would go again in a heartbeat). The memory of visiting the Wailing Wall in Jerusalem just as the Sabbath started was one of my best travel memories ever.