Jump to content

Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five


Recommended Posts

Sorry to hear about Canada's continuing slow progress.  Still, if those numbers for New Zealand are correct they will have to stay in countrywide isolation until 2121!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Sorry to hear about Canada's continuing slow progress.  Still, if those numbers for New Zealand are correct they will have to stay in countrywide isolation until 2121!!!

 

Jazz I agree (I can't like your post because I don't like that the vaccine roll out is not working well for everyone).  I think Australia and New Zealand are just now starting to receive vaccine supply.    Many countries are struggling with getting vaccine supply.  And the world of travel will not really open up until more people around the world are vaccinated.  Please don't think that just because you have been lucky enough to receive the vaccine that the world should be your oyster.  We are all in this nasty together!

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, mysty said:

 

Jazz I agree (I can't like your post because I don't like that the vaccine roll out is not working well for everyone).  I think Australia and New Zealand are just now starting to receive vaccine supply.    Many countries are struggling with getting vaccine supply.  And the world of travel will not really open up until more people around the world are vaccinated.  Please don't think that just because you have been lucky enough to receive the vaccine that the world should be your oyster.  We are all in this nasty together!

I hope that one lesson countries will take from this is that it is essential to maintain critical industries in your own country and not rely on world trade.  So many ways that world trade can get disrupted, and then where are you?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mysty said:

I'm sorry Coolers!  I am happy for all the lucky ducks who have been able to be vaccinated!  I just can't be jumping up and down with enthusiasm right now.  Canada is struggling to get the vaccine let alone to get it shipped out to the various provinces.  We are still staring down a long dark tunnel.  Please don't take it personally if I fail to acknowledge your vaccine.  🥰

 

Capture.JPG.41a319c52ab2e78397dd382f5b7ee5d4.JPG

 

Interesting chart and so surprising to see Australia and New Zealand so low on this  listing for getting vaccines.  This data illustrates the challenging task ahead for achieving a worldwide cruise ship re-opening and accomplishing it in so many countries.  Appreciate the great sharing by mysty.

 

Noticed Chile being fairly high on this chart.  Am considering a January 2022 Ushuaia to Valparaiso sailing on the Silver Cloud that features Antarctica and the Chile fjords, etc.  Good news that Chile seems fairly safe and smart.  

 

Glad that things went well for Lois in getting her first shot and having it go smoothly.  

 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

 

Near my study window this afternoon, here was a busy, busy squirrel.  He was not wearing a mask, but was dining outside at a safe distance from others.  Nice to have wildlife visiting and Spring getting closer.  Look cute?: 

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see this visual larger/better!)

CMC_2357.thumb.jpeg.acd0af3c5b47e76c74ef981a7881e7fd.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

As to  the vaccine roll out in Australia,  this article was in todays newspapers =

"The European Union has been blasted as a “total disgrace” for allowing Italy to block a quarter of a million doses of the AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccine from reaching Australia.  The shipment was stopped because of the “continuing shortage of vaccines in the EU and in Italy and delays in supplies from AstraZeneca to the EU and Italy,” the Italian foreign ministry said in a statement.

European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control statistics show Italy has currently received 1,512,000 AstraZeneca doses — but has only managed to administer 322,801 of them so far.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, rojaan19 said:

As to  the vaccine roll out in Australia,  this article was in todays newspapers =

"The European Union has been blasted as a “total disgrace” for allowing Italy to block a quarter of a million doses of the AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccine from reaching Australia.  The shipment was stopped because of the “continuing shortage of vaccines in the EU and in Italy and delays in supplies from AstraZeneca to the EU and Italy,” the Italian foreign ministry said in a statement.  European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control statistics show Italy has currently received 1,512,000 AstraZeneca doses — but has only managed to administer 322,801 of them so far.

 

Fascinating, but sad updating above by our Aussie friend.  Appreciate this sharing.   Excellent point by Host Jazzbeau about: "I hope that one lesson countries will take from this is that it is essential to maintain critical industries in your own country and not rely on world trade."   

 

As I re-call, there have been some battles of the EU vs. UK over the vaccine questions, sharings, approvals, etc.  Right?

 

This is ALL a part of the world-wide series of challenges facing the cruise industry in order to resume some type of "normal" operations.

 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, rojaan19 said:

As to  the vaccine roll out in Australia,  this article was in todays newspapers =

"The European Union has been blasted as a “total disgrace” for allowing Italy to block a quarter of a million doses of the AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccine from reaching Australia.  The shipment was stopped because of the “continuing shortage of vaccines in the EU and in Italy and delays in supplies from AstraZeneca to the EU and Italy,” the Italian foreign ministry said in a statement.

European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control statistics show Italy has currently received 1,512,000 AstraZeneca doses — but has only managed to administer 322,801 of them so far.

 

My sympathies Rojaan!  Canada is also struggling with trying to get orders from the clutches of the countries (and controlling oversight) manufacturing the vaccines.  I understand!  Some first world countries with access  do not recognize what is happening in countries that can not manufacture their own vaccines!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

 

Fascinating, but sad updating above by our Aussie friend.  Appreciate this sharing.   Excellent point by Host Jazzbeau about: "I hope that one lesson countries will take from this is that it is essential to maintain critical industries in your own country and not rely on world trade."   

 

As I re-call, there have been some battles of the EU vs. UK over the vaccine questions, sharings, approvals, etc.  Right?

 

This is ALL a part of the world-wide series of challenges facing the cruise industry in order to resume some type of "normal" operations.

 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

 

It's not only the cruise industry suffering!  Although there are many folks keen to travel,  the bigger issue is that people are still dying because vaccines are not abundantly available around the world!  Cruising issues are a first world problem.   Dying folks should trump cruises!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2021 at 5:46 AM, Stumblefoot said:

Why?

Well I love Oklahoma because it was one of 2 states where the locals understood me and I could understand them.Maybe because they talk a little slow just like old Queenslanders do.

The other place was Washington state where some of the locals actually spoke English rather than American.😉

Some in Washington actually thought I was a local.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not happy to read the posts from Canada, Australia & New Zealand regarding the vaccine.  These are countries that have consistently stood by mine on the world stage, perhaps poking or opposing us at times when we went off the rails, but good friends nevertheless.

With the USA "back at the table" I would hope we'll hear of some progress in this regard.

Canada once had Connaught Labs as a world class player in vaccines, don't know if they are in the game or not?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, mysty said:

 

My sympathies Rojaan!  Canada is also struggling with trying to get orders from the clutches of the countries (and controlling oversight) manufacturing the vaccines.  I understand!  Some first world countries with access  do not recognize what is happening in countries that can not manufacture their own vaccines!

 

Mysty as annoying as this Italian embargo is at least we can manufacture AstraZeneca here and it is being made as we speak. CSL makes our annual supply of flu vaccine and has been authorised to manufacture the AZ vaccine here. They already have quite a few million ready to go. The hold up is TGA which is Therapeutic Goods Authorisation is currently doing random checks on batches before they finale their approval. This should be towards the end of this month.

 

What is frustrating is that once our vaccination numbers in our population, with the most critical being vaccinated, we have an agreement to send surplus AZ vaccine to various Pacific Island nations like Fiji, Vanuatu, Tonga etc. This will put that date we can supply them further back. They will be getting some supply from the COVAX innovative but our help will ensure their population get vaccinated sooner.

Edited by frantic36
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

Not happy to read the posts from Canada, Australia & New Zealand regarding the vaccine.  These are countries that have consistently stood by mine on the world stage, perhaps poking or opposing us at times when we went off the rails, but good friends nevertheless.

With the USA "back at the table" I would hope we'll hear of some progress in this regard.

Canada once had Connaught Labs as a world class player in vaccines, don't know if they are in the game or not?

 

Not sure about Connaught Que!  It seems that the labs we have are not equipped to produce the COVID vaccines!  Here's hoping we will learn from this situation and make the necessary investments to prevent our lack of resources from happening again.  I'm not confident that anyone is actually taking notes at this point!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just an update on the vaccine issue here in Australia as I just watched an update by our federal government news conference on the vaccine rollout which is progressing slowly but steadily with plans to ramp up as more vaccines are available.

 

I found it interesting that the doses that were coming from Italy hadn't been counted as yet into the rollout program so they were not concerned. In fact they were quite understanding that Italy's Covid deaths were a concern so Italy needed the vaccine more than we do.  I don't always agree but was pleased they are being pragmatic and forward thinking.

 

Mysty I saw an article about your government a few weeks ago and it was talking about the need to restart having the ability to manufacture vaccines there again. So maybe they have been taking notes?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

Just an update on the vaccine issue here in Australia as I just watched an update by our federal government news conference on the vaccine rollout which is progressing slowly but steadily with plans to ramp up as more vaccines are available.

 

I found it interesting that the doses that were coming from Italy hadn't been counted as yet into the rollout program so they were not concerned. In fact they were quite understanding that Italy's Covid deaths were a concern so Italy needed the vaccine more than we do.  I don't always agree but was pleased they are being pragmatic and forward thinking.

 

Mysty I saw an article about your government a few weeks ago and it was talking about the need to restart having the ability to manufacture vaccines there again. So maybe they have been taking notes?

 

Here's hoping Jill! 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good morning coolers

 

I have been away for a couple of days, and just came on to ask Lois how she got on with her vaccination, as we had ours only on Wednesday (various delays due to some c**kups).   We were having them done at home, for various reasons.  We are OK, just a sore arm and feeling a bit 'seedy' yesterday.  Interestingly, our vaccinators were two female RAF Officers who are Doctors, and they arrived in camouflage gear with big brown  boots.  As the world knows we have been, amazingly to  me, very efficient in general in getting to grips with this.

 

I notice some other boards have special threads on this subject, and wonder if maybe it might overwhelm the cooler board,  and if a new thread should be started?  (thinking of mysty and others who will be feeling frustrated on reading about it at present).  

 

I think the UK has pretty good intentions of helping other countries out as and when.

 

Lola

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad you are doing well with the first jab, Lola!

 

Almost the weekend! Just have to get through the work day here and then time for some rest.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I don't think there are too many reasons to worry about Australia. In most places we can dine out at restaurants, go to bars, travel on public transport, go to the theatre and sporting events and do most other things with the minimum of restrictions. I'm currently in Adelaide and it is a case of "what virus?"  We have few or no cases of community transmission of this virus anywhere in the country. We are very fortunate that our state governments have dealt with the threat from covid-19 as well as anywhere.

 

What we can't do easily is travel overseas. But then, not many of us want to  anyway in the present circumstances around the world. Our government has assured us we'll all be vaccinated by October.  In the present world circumstances, I can live with that. 

 

If you are wanting to come to Australia for a cruise before 2022 ,I'm sorry to say that you are not high on the priority list.

Edited by turtlemichael
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Just an update on the vaccine issue here in Australia as I just watched an update by our federal government news conference on the vaccine rollout which is progressing slowly but steadily with plans to ramp up as more vaccines are available.

 

I found it interesting that the doses that were coming from Italy hadn't been counted as yet into the rollout program so they were not concerned. In fact they were quite understanding that Italy's Covid deaths were a concern so Italy needed the vaccine more than we do.  I don't always agree but was pleased they are being pragmatic and forward thinking.

 

Mysty I saw an article about your government a few weeks ago and it was talking about the need to restart having the ability to manufacture vaccines there again. So maybe they have been taking notes?

 

Please excuse my COVID brain on my previous quote response from you!  I made the mistake of thinking you were someone else!  Sorry about that!  Thanks for the mention of the article relating to the need to manufacture vaccines here.  I agree, that someone is taking notes.  Let's just hope they don't put them in the shredder!  😏

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, lincslady said:

Good morning coolers

 

I have been away for a couple of days, and just came on to ask Lois how she got on with her vaccination, as we had ours only on Wednesday (various delays due to some c**kups).   We were having them done at home, for various reasons.  We are OK, just a sore arm and feeling a bit 'seedy' yesterday.  Interestingly, our vaccinators were two female RAF Officers who are Doctors, and they arrived in camouflage gear with big brown  boots.  As the world knows we have been, amazingly to  me, very efficient in general in getting to grips with this.

 

I notice some other boards have special threads on this subject, and wonder if maybe it might overwhelm the cooler board,  and if a new thread should be started?  (thinking of mysty and others who will be feeling frustrated on reading about it at present).  

 

I think the UK has pretty good intentions of helping other countries out as and when.

 

Lola

 

 

Hi Lola, I am good thanks so much for asking.  My arm is a bit sore but that is the extent of it.

I am a side sleeper so I did have to sleep on the other side last night......I got the shot in the

arm that I normally sleep on.....But I did sleep well, once I was out for the night,

 

As for another thread, we have a couple of them on here but if you want to start one as well,

have at it.😀 And glad you are doing ok too!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: Azamara - We are back with New Greece Voyages
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...