Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

4 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Will plan on a night in Barcelona prior to the cruise and a night in Lisbon afterwards. Looking at hotels now.

JP, for Lisbon, we have found the Hotel Avenida Palace to be excellent, both before and after cruises.

https://www.hotelavenidapalace.pt

Thanks Lola, will have a look. Thinking of Old Town but not opposed to the Promenade.

FSS, that Lisbon hotel is on my short list. Actually made a reservation there back in 2019 for our self-guided Portugal trip but ended up canceling. We changed the itinerary and didn't stay in Lisbon at all, so it wasn't needed. Thanks for the reinforcement! 

• Like 1

JP and Lois,  I also recommend this hotel.  Not exactly downtown... a good 15-20 minute walk.  However you can easily walk in the opposite direction to a charming museum called the Guilbekien (not sure of spelling), and to the Lisbon branch of Spain's Corte Inglés department store (excellent quality merchandise).  Apart from vinho verde and Portuguese tarts, hand made embroideries and other textile crafts are worth looking into.  Enjoy Lisbon...and hopefully return!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Thanks Lola, will have a look. Thinking of Old Town but not opposed to the Promenade.

FSS, that Lisbon hotel is on my short list. Actually made a reservation there back in 2019 for our self-guided Portugal trip but ended up canceling. We changed the itinerary and didn't stay in Lisbon at all, so it wasn't needed. Thanks for the reinforcement! 

JP: Our favorite place to stay in Lisbon is Solar do Castelo, a small boutique hotel at the top of the hill next to Castelo Sao Jorge in Alfama. It can be a bit challenging to reach because some taxis are too big to make it all the way to the front door. If you are uncomfortable walking on steep cobblestone roads, the hotel has a golf cart that can take you up from and down to the castle gate. There are lots of small restaurants and fado clubs down the hill to occupy the night, and peacocks to wake you up early the next morning.

Karen

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Camillus112 said:

JP and Lois,  I also recommend this hotel.  Not exactly downtown... a good 15-20 minute walk.  However you can easily walk in the opposite direction to a charming museum called the Guilbekien (not sure of spelling), and to the Lisbon branch of Spain's Corte Inglés department store (excellent quality merchandise).  Apart from vinho verde and Portuguese tarts, hand made embroideries and other textile crafts are worth looking into.  Enjoy Lisbon...and hopefully return!!

FYI re Gulbenkian Museum:   Galouste Gulbenkian was an Armenian Jew known as Mister Five Percenter -- he brokered a deal to get a 5% cut on Middle Eastern oil (back in the day).  He used his money to buy up antiquities all over the world -- assembled them - his dearest wish was to become a British citizen.  He would give EVERYTHING to Britain and build a museum to house it, if he could get citizenship, which was denied.  He sulked off to Lisbon -- built the Gulbenkian and it houses ALL THE TREASURES including what I believe is the world's greatest collection of Lalique - in its own room.  The museum used to be free - assume it still is -- and is a treasure.  Don't miss it if you have the time in Lisboa!

Dusababy aka Mary Ann

(Lisboa - one of my favorite cities in the world !)

• Like 1

When my mind is not occupied with pressing issues (which is frequently the case these days even with the ant issue) it decides to strike out for a walkabout.  Thus, today( as ants have been vanquished), I was thinking the MS The World.  I have been fascinated with this concept for a long time.  I was wondering how it had fared during the world COVID lockdowns.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_The_World

"The MS The World is  a residential cruise ship. Unlike other cruise ships, which operate like a resort, it is operated like a condominium complex, with large cabins that can be purchased. The residents, from about 19 countries, live on board as the ship travels. Some residents choose to live on board full-time while others visit periodically throughout the year. The ship is operated by ROW Management, Ltd., headquartered in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States.  It turns out that in March 2020 the ship unloaded all passengers and non-essential crew because of concern about COVID-19 infection.

In April 2020, the ship was asked to leave the port of Fremantle, Australia. The government of New Zealand received a request to let the ship shelter in a local port. This request was denied, as New Zealand had banned cruise ships (and non-New Zealand residents) from entering the country. As of August 2020, the ship was in lay-berth in Falmouth, United Kingdom.   As of 21 September 2020, the ship was in Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Canary Islands.  The company has announced the ship plans to resume service in Q3 2021. "

17 minutes ago, mysty said:

When my mind is not occupied with pressing issues (which is frequently the case these days even with the ant issue) it decides to strike out for a walkabout.  Thus, today( as ants have been vanquished), I was thinking the MS The World.  I have been fascinated with this concept for a long time.  I was wondering how it had fared during the world COVID lockdowns. 

And the 'owners' had the privilege of paying their monthly fees and watching the EOL date of the ship diminish that whole time.  This is such a bad concept – and now two other companies are trying to copy it!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

And the 'owners' had the privilege of paying their monthly fees and watching the EOL date of the ship diminish that whole time.  This is such a bad concept – and now two other companies are trying to copy it!

Yes Jazz,  the practicality in a crisis is obviously not the concept's strong point!  It is a very romantic idea and like many of those....good in theory and not in practice.  I admit to being a bit of a romantic who gets rudely awakened when reality rears it's sometimes nasty head.

On another note (and further to my mind being relatively unoccupied which is never a good thing) we experimented today with the idea of using frozen grapes to keep our white wine chilled once in the glass.  Experiment was deemed a success.  Wine stayed chilled and not diluted by ice cubes and grapes stayed grape-ish!  Score!

20210818_163106.thumb.jpg.f29e87bcfb2df7261953921ad32a63ac.jpg

• Like 5

6 hours ago, dusababy said:

FYI re Gulbenkian Museum:   Galouste Gulbenkian was an Armenian Jew known as Mister Five Percenter -- he brokered a deal to get a 5% cut on Middle Eastern oil (back in the day).  He used his money to buy up antiquities all over the world -- assembled them - his dearest wish was to become a British citizen.  He would give EVERYTHING to Britain and build a museum to house it, if he could get citizenship, which was denied.  He sulked off to Lisbon -- built the Gulbenkian and it houses ALL THE TREASURES including what I believe is the world's greatest collection of Lalique - in its own room.  The museum used to be free - assume it still is -- and is a treasure.  Don't miss it if you have the time in Lisboa!

Dusababy aka Mary Ann

(Lisboa - one of my favorite cities in the world !)

Mary Ann, thank you so much for this wonderful information.  We have been advised that we'll have a Lisbon overnight at the end of the Med. Grand Voyage & had no idea about this museum.  THANKS 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mysty said:

On another note (and further to my mind being relatively unoccupied which is never a good thing) we experimented today with the idea of using frozen grapes to keep our white wine chilled once in the glass.  Experiment was deemed a success.  Wine stayed chilled and not diluted by ice cubes and grapes stayed grape-ish!  Score!

20210818_163106.thumb.jpg.f29e87bcfb2df7261953921ad32a63ac.jpg

This really gives an image to the wine-lover's meme:  "I don't take my grapes in pill form!"

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, nowornever said:

Mary Ann, thank you so much for this wonderful information.  We have been advised that we'll have a Lisbon overnight at the end of the Med. Grand Voyage & had no idea about this museum.  THANKS 

You're welcome nowornever!   This place is a gem and so little known.  

11 minutes ago, mysty said:

I love adding new words to my vocabulary....especially words that help explain my approach to life.

238608707_4224304570990888_5363637528549764490_n.jpg.d94a65cc8bb79932934069972a1066f0.jpg

Good one😂. I’m very good at that too, although I believe I’ve lost my cutting edge due to early onset something or other.💤

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, zqtchas said:

Good one😂. I’m very good at that too, although I believe I’ve lost my cutting edge due to early onset something or other.💤

Early onset of whatever has not been evident here Chas!  You're sharp as a tack!  In a good way! 😁

• Like 1

Talk about procrastidrinking - I'm making paella tonight, I've got a recipe. but I've actually got not a clue otherwise what I'm making!  Middle daughter suggested this & provided spice as a gift.  Any last minute suggestions would be appreciated.  Using shrimp, rice and turkey sausage...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

Talk about procrastidrinking - I'm making paella tonight, I've got a recipe. but I've actually got not a clue otherwise what I'm making!  Middle daughter suggested this & provided spice as a gift.  Any last minute suggestions would be appreciated.  Using shrimp, rice and turkey sausage...

Sorry Que, I really am useless with your question!  I do however want to encourage you to forge ahead and trust!!!  You've got this! 😁

• Thanks 1