Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

1 hour ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

That's not a quote but I can't delete the box. 

Anyway, still looking for the street, city and country.  Our hotel:

IMG_20190310_195444.jpg

The original photo:

IMG_20190312_201108_1552938488169.jpg

Edited by Tothesunset

Thanks for that Jeff, very interesting program. I Always like Portillo, things are so much easier when you can speak your mind. I Must admit that Farage is my guilty pleasure. Developments today haven't been good.The only people to blame for this mess are our entirely self serving MP's that seem to forget who they should be serving. I've been absolutely astounded by their incompetence.

Advice appreciated please Coolers.

We are booked on the muse sailing from Vancouver on 17/6/19. We are really limited for options for flights as we need to fly from Manchester. The most convenient flight by far arrives into Vancouver at 12.55. Its a direct 9.30 hr flight but unfortunately its Airtransat. The ship departs at 18.00. Is my OH justified in panicking at the timings?

Many thanks in advance for any guidance.

47 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Thanks for that Jeff, very interesting program. I Always like Portillo, things are so much easier when you can speak your mind. I Must admit that Farage is my guilty pleasure. Developments today haven't been good.The only people to blame for this mess are our entirely self serving MP's that seem to forget who they should be serving. I've been absolutely astounded by their incompetence.

I am mystified by most of the commentary.  If Farage can get one of his right wing mates to carpe diem and veto an extension ... just one of the 27 -  then we automatically leave with no deal on WTO terms. 

1 hour ago, Tothesunset said:

Anyway, still looking for the street, city and country. 

Vitosha Bulvard, Sofia, Bulgaria! Have heard that it's a nice place to visit. Will have to go there some time.

Never would have figured this out without Jeff's hint.

Edited by jpalbny

33 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

For what it’s worth Dave, if we make our own arrangements we would always allow a buffer of at least 24 hours.  Murphy’s Law always prevails when you least want it.  

I usually would too Jeff but weve got a wedding on the 15th and the flights on the 16th with a stopover only get us in 2 hrs before the uncomplicated direct flight. OH kicking up like Michael Flattley re 5 hr window.  Wanted to go Oceania instead on the 19th. Source of many disgruntlymumblings at the mo.

That paneling looks really nice, Davey. We need to have a Coolers meeting there some time!

Tough to advise re: flights. Direct flights are your best chance because there's only one of them so no worries about a missed connection. If it's the only flight you can do, then go for it. We have flown in on the day of cruises multiple times. Sometimes that's all you can do, if your work/social schedule demands it. It almost always works...but the Michael Flatley image cracked me up!

I have to admit that Air France almost threw a monkey wrench in our plans last September when they managed to delay our simple, direct flight from DeGaulle to Copenhagen by just under 3 hours (naturally; had it been more than 3 hours they would have owed us a pretty sum). We were embarking Silver Wind that day. But we made the ship with time to spare. Just had to cut short the visit with my brother and his family. 

Edited by jpalbny

Dave that work looks asublime.  Is that limed oak?  Limed oak is my favourite.  My stu=dy and the dining room is limed oak.

Each to his own ... but your consitution is better than mine and I am totally with your OH on this.  Life is far too stressful to add layers of additional extreme stress artificially.  On  our Istanbul - Croatia cruise at 10pm on the night before the early morning I was due to fly to Istanbul I was watching Sky and they they had a news flash that all of BA had just walked out on a 24 hour lightening strike.  I tapped a booking and took the last two seats on Turkish Airlines before the news item was finished.  A few minutes later and we would have been stuffed. 

I have had so many cancellations over my years I think you should think seriously about paying extra and getting SS to book your flights for you because then they pick up the pain if you are unable to get out of the wedding. It will "probably" be alright but the amount of stress I would feel would negate the joy of l;ooking forward to the cruise.

Good luck.

Many thanks Jeff and JP. Been desperately trying to avert the full  Riverdance and several curtain calls but my logic tells me that 1 flight is less risky than 2.

Jeff,  It’s all white oak. I  Had the panels from Surrey, the pillasters from Suffolk, the architrave locally and the capitals hand carved in the Ukraine. Really chuffed with the results. 

Edited by Daveywavey70

I’m the pessimist in our family and always anticipate the worst case and try to imagine what we could do if it happened.

On a back to back several years ago we left Athens a few hours late because a large group of people flew in late. The next stop was Santorini and we saw 2 more couples embarking as they were too late for Athens.

Perhaps your OH would feel better if there was another port you could use if you "miss the boat". 

I also spent months worrying about overweight luggage in South America and decided that I’d just have to pay the large extra cost. Turned out they didn’t bat an eye, so I was worried for nothing. 

6 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Vitosha Bulvard, Sofia, Bulgaria! Have heard that it's a nice place to visit. Will have to go there some time.

Never would have figured this out without Jeff's hint.

Correct! 

It is a nice place to visit and Vitosha Bvd is quite splendid. I was going to put up a photo of the same shot in daylight with Mt Vitosha in the background but that would have made it too easy. :classic_wink:

2 days is enough though. Unless, of course, you like people-watching. Sofia seems to have a higher proportion of film star beautiful women. Seriously, it's like every woman under 30 is a trainee supermodel. 

On 3/17/2019 at 1:29 PM, jpalbny said:

Col. Bellinger was married one of Gen. Herkimer's sisters. Jan, we are probably related if you go back far enough, because it seems like everyone in that Palatine group married each other. If you can find a Bellinger or a Herkimer, let me know!

Well JP, that should scare you right there!  We really need to meet up for dinner/drinks some time.   

Saturday morning, I am off to OSJ, to meet my new best friend/butler.  Can't wait!

1 hour ago, UpstateJan said:

Well JP, that should scare you right there!  We really need to meet up for dinner/drinks some time.   

Saturday morning, I am off to OSJ, to meet my new best friend/butler.  Can't wait!

Have a great trip, long-lost cousin Jan! 

• Like 1

Thanks both .... ugly delicious pizza! 🙂

At least those thoughtful Europeans have agreed to delay our exit and not have the divorce coincide with our 45th wedding anniversary next Friday!  I was rather hoping to celebrate both on the same day .... but never mind.  Two celebrations are better than one.  🙂

• Like 1

Happy early anniversary then, Jeff and Mrs. Jeff! I can see from that pizza picture, why she's kept you around all these years. 😄

Just have to slog through this last day of work and then off to the airport for Atlanta. As long as the weather cooperates and we can get out of here. It's just a few degrees above freezing and it was rainy this morning, mixed with some more solidified stuff. Yucky. Atlanta weather forecast looks much nicer!

If we make it there in time we'll have a late dinner at a nice French bistro near our hotel. If not, I guess we will have to starve. 😉 That might be better for us...

Edited by jpalbny

Hope you have a great Atlanta weekend with some good eatings! There use to be some lovely food there. 

Today is spit roasted stuffed shoulder of Welsh lamb with gravy and mint sauce with some crunchy roast potatoes, and steamed carrots, brussels, and cauliflower.   And au boîte du vin rouge. 

E9A66081-D0C0-46FD-8386-ADD289D87565.jpeg

4 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Thanks both .... ugly delicious pizza! 🙂

At least those thoughtful Europeans have agreed to delay our exit and not have the divorce coincide with our 45th wedding anniversary next Friday!  I was rather hoping to celebrate both on the same day .... but never mind.  Two celebrations are better than one.  🙂

What a coincidence.....It’s our 55 th on the now deleted Brexit departure date.We can celebrate without any undue distractions! Best wishes to you both.