Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

I have a question for ya'll:classic_smile:.I was reading the ITALY forum and of course there are lots of questions.  Mine is this....the only time I have been to the Venice airport was last year and that was on arrival.  I don't recall having many issues.  I got my bags and found the place to buy a water taxi ticket to get to my hotel. Coming back I departed from  Nice, France.

Now, this trip I am arriving in Venice AND departing from Venice as well.  Question is, why are folks saying how horrible the Venice airport is?  Just trying to make sure (if possible) to ease my mind.  I called  Uniworld and they said any early morning flights are fine....we are docked in Venice the day before and I will be taking a cruise line transfer to the airport. I have a 7:50am flight...it will be basically the middle of the night when I get to the airport. Do you think at that time the airport will be horribly busy and slow?  Just wondering...……...

20 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Anyone heard anything from Jeff? Not heard from him for a couple of weeks. Hope you're ok Jeff.

20 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Was wondering that too. Not like him to be silent so long. Hope all is well.

Hi ... thanks both.  Yes ... perfectly well. 🙂

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 1

Remember this one from when you were six? -

Why did the (insert favourite non-PC colloquialism) throw the clock out the window?

:classic_happy:

It's taken me more than a month to re-adapt to Vietnamese afternoon temperatures of 35 degrees C with 80%+ humidity after freezing temps. at night in: Cusco, La Paz etc., and playing with the penguins and heffalump seals in the snow on South Georgia. Thank (insert favourite PC diety) for 'aircon'. However, the national electricity tariff has just risen 8.36% (ostensibly to cover rising production costs; but, in reality, because they are selling it cheap to the Chinese factories in Cambodia). I should have been a general. :classic_rolleyes:

After a few short, 'false starts', monsoon season has truly begun here in the south. The yearly, 'mating of the flying ants' took place a couple of days ago. However, unlike last year, the torrential tropical thunderstorm downpour(s) that triggered it happened in the few hours preceding dawn. So, I did not have to do a four-hour 'cleanup' of the interior of my apartment - to get rid of many hundreds of thousands of bodies (and twice as many friggin' wings :classic_angry: ) - because they did not come in thru every crack & crevice seeking 'the light' (as they do when it happens at night). :classic_biggrin:

I was thinking of 'going native' and investing in a mortar & pestle to make 'ant paste' to add to: rice, soups & stews etc. Naw... like blue cheese and Vegemite, it's an acquired taste. :classic_dry:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Time does fly, DW [and Bill], and now it's almost time for what I hope will be a much different experience for you in Alaska!

We are finalizing our plans for the Ukraine trip - we leave a week from Friday. Should be a fun time. Looking at lots of cool restaurants in Kiev and Lviv. It looks like there are some interesting restaurants in Kiev - Georgian food seems popular. Will be interested to try that. And of course, new wines to try.

Have been up to the usual stuff here - cooking and drinking wine. In between that we managed to (finally) tour the New York State Capitol Building this past Saturday, then we met some friends out for dinner in Saratoga. Being the oblivious types that we are, yes...we went for dinner in Saratoga, on Kentucky Derby Day! What were we thinking? The place was a zoo. But we had a lot of fun anyway.

Here's a nice bone-in pork chop over a bed of arugula with some marinated tomatoes on top.

i-BdjMCvz-L.jpg

And a nice wine from Bodegas Andeluna in Mendoza, which we brought back from the January trip. The setting is a little different but the wine tasted just as nice as we remembered. Good thing we have another one in the wine refrigerator for another day!

i-xXRFGRZ-L.jpg

Here is where that wine SHOULD be enjoyed...

Awasi%20Jan%202019-214-L.jpg

Tonight I made chicken thighs roasted in the oven with mushrooms, topped with a simple rustic parsley sauce. Really nice but unfortunately I am still hungry. So, time to find a snack, I guess!

i-cDDw673-L.jpg

Have a great week all!

Edited by jpalbny

Hi...good morning.....I am following up with a question I posed earlier...…...do any of you know why folks say the Venice airport is so bad?

JP,  that chop looks AWESOME:classic_biggrin:

Thanks Lois.

We flew out of Venice in 2007 or so. The cruise line got us there too early, so we had to stand and wait around for check-in and bag drop to open.

The waiting area post-security was nothing great but I don't remember it being horrible. Just not a great place for a few extra hours (we had a mechanical delay for about 2 hours). I don't think there was anything worth eating, so it was tough to go cold turkey after all that cruise food!

Can't comment on any more recent experiences. 

Well friends, it’s been an interesting day. Went to view a property this morning that is perfect for the OH to set up his own Travel Agency, great footfall and very affluent area.  In discussion with the landlord already. He’s had his application to bring his redundancy forward to the end of May accepted. Registered his ltd company and bought domain names this afternoon. Full steam ahead!

Looks like he’s opening 3 days after we get back from our Muse around Alaska! Anyone know any celebs available to open a luxury cruise and travel agency in North Wales (MissSophia?)?

• Like 1

Llewelyn Fawr ap Iorwerth (the great), whose maternal grandfather Maredoc ap Maredudd was a King of Powys. His paternal grandfather was Owain Gwynned - is that what you mean by a Wyn? I am just exploring some of this stuff, as I got this huge genealogy chart from my uncle just a few weeks ago.

Llewelyn is 25 generations back from me. Small world that your hotel is over his burial site!

Edited by jpalbny

Have never watched GOT. May binge some day. Kind of like we did with The Big Bang Theory. Just started watching last year.

Very quiet here. Tonight we spent a few minutes setting out some clothes for our Ukraine trip. Leaving Friday! 

Now cooking lunches for the week. Had some pasta carbonara for dinner. Made Pisco sours this weekend, so had extra egg yolks around. Good excuse to use them.

20190513_192442.thumb.jpg.d14f13fcfa6cd6fb431160942d896887.jpg

Hope everyone has a great week. Love the vacation countdown. Excited to get there already!

I’m We’ve got a big film crew staying at the hotel at the mo. Can’t say more. Lots of them worked on GoT. I’m completely addicted. Might have to organise a party for the final episode!

Not long now JP.  As the WC draws to a close at least we’ve got your adventures to keep us going!

3 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Have never watched GOT. May binge some day.

I hope you enjoy it if you should decide to watch it someday.  

I've watched myself from the beginning and after the fourth episode of this last season, decided to go back an re-watch each episode as a reminder of what has brought us to here.  The length of each episode is astonishing and it's amazing how much I had forgotten over the years as I just finished season 1 tonight.

Have a great time on your trip to Ukraine.  I was thinking you had left last Friday, so clearly I was wrong about that and the fun is yet to begin.

Have a wonderful trip JP.  I look forward to following your adventures. 

I have just been to Melbourne, an hour by train to a monthly travel group meeting. 

We talk about recent travels, where next, and hints for travellers. 

My trouble is that I still have lots to see in the world and listening to everyone’s plans makes me envious. I think my bucket list is growing!!!