Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Good morning....I have never watched Game of Thrones either. But being in Dubrovnik live last year was wonderful:classic_biggrin:

And I have never watched a full episode of Big Bang Theory....bits and pieces maybe but never a full one.

JP, I am looking forward to following your trip too:classic_biggrin:

Good morning coolers, well, after much thought and more research, I decided to cancel my booking at The Marriott. I am staying in Venice proper now and will be staying at the following smaller, boutique style, property.

https://www.hotelantichefigure.it/

It was recommended as well and it is quite a bit less $$$ and looks like it will be quite good for one night.

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning coolers, well, after much thought and more research, I decided to cancel my booking at The Marriott. I am staying in Venice proper now and will be staying at the following smaller, boutique style, property.

https://www.hotelantichefigure.it/

It was recommended as well and it is quite a bit less $$$ and looks like it will be quite good for one night.

Probably a good decision as you will only be there one night!

At the JW you would need more time to really appreciate the property.

Edited by spinnaker2
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Probably a good decision as you will only be there one night!  At the JW you would need more time to really appreciate the property.

Well summarized by Spins/Candy!!  Only one night at that location in Venice does make it hard to BOTH enjoy this luxury property and also sample the charms and character of historic Venice.  Keep up you excellent research and planning. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 82,094 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

1 hour ago, mayaart said:

First time at the water cooler. Leaving Friday for London. London to Barcelona Any must do suggestions?  No roll call listed for this departure so not much help.

Welcome to the Water Cooler!!  Keep coming back and don't be shy.  Ask lots of questions and offer your inputs.

For your upcoming cruise, you will have many great ports and opportunities, especially with the overnights in Bordeaux and Lisbon.  As detailed below on my live/blog, we super loved so many of our stops in June 2017.  Have a ton of ideas and suggestions.  But, tell us more as to what you are planning and about your personal interests.  Both Lisbon and Bordeaux are "world-class" with such a wide range of interesting and historic options.  

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France on the Silver Spirit along scenic Atlantic Coast.  Now at 28,154 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

I love Barcelona:classic_biggrin:...….never been to Lisbon before.  When in Barcelona, Las Ramblas is the fun/funky Ave with lots of vendors/restaurants/etc.  And of course there is Sagrada Familia (famous church).  Hope you have a great time:classic_smile:

32 minutes ago, Lois R said:

JP....do you and Chris leave tomorrow? Wishing you a wonderful trip and safe travels:classic_biggrin:

Yes we do. Already checked in with the Fly Delta app and all packed. We went heavy this time - two rollaboards. Maybe we'll bring back some souvenirs!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Yes we do. Already checked in with the Fly Delta app and all packed. We went heavy this time - two rollaboards. Maybe we'll bring back some souvenirs!

Agree with Daveywavey70!!  Have safe travel and enjoy your "adventure" in this area that used to be behind the "Iron Curtin".  Look forward to your insights, details, pictures, etc. 

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 245,874 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

Bonjour from Paris! At a little lounge in 2D at CDG this morning. Leaving for Kiev in another 2 hours. Will be a long day! But the AF 787 over from Detroit was very nice.

Great that you've arrived safely in Europe and that the 787 trans-Atlantic flight worked well.  Kiev sounds like an interesting city.  Keep thinking of Chicken Kiev??!!  Look forward to learning more from your latest "adventure".  

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 245,874 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Well.... the comments do seem all over the place, but as stated "It wasn't 5 star, but it's not 5 star prices".  Not too many lines go to the Canaries, and the one we were really considering was kicked out of the running after talking to some people on our last Silversea cruise.  Passengers as well as former employees of "other cruise line" basically told us to run screaming from a potential booking....:classic_ohmy:   Guess I'll keep looking.....  Thank you MBP!

Hi Jan,

Our very first cruise was on Thompson, later Tui, later again Marella. We absolutely loved it, so much so so we repeated the same cruise 6 months later. I'm speaking about 12 years ago now but we loved it so much. We made very good friends with certain crew members that looked after us so incredibly well and we returned the favour. The passenger mix on the whole was very friendly and passengers wishing to score points and look down their noses were minimal and easily dispatched. The MDR food was quite acceptable but we ate most eves in the upcharge which was superb.It was an excellent line, honest about what it was. not luxury but not luxury prices either. An honest well organised, fun holiday at a fair price. Ive been watching their move recently in the (UK Winter) from Carib to Asia, they seem a little way ahead of the trends here and IMO its the way to go. Not all of their ships are superb at the mo but with a little research they can be eliminated. Either way have fun!

Oh my word. Were any fellow coolers subjected to Madonnas performance at Eurovision? 

What an absolute tragedy! What a sad way to end a career! She sounded like a trapped cat and walked down those stairs with all the grace of a dyspraxic pensioner waiting for a double hip replacement and 2 new knees. Not too mention turning up to a gig in an outfit that looks like it was robbed off a homeless incontinent Pearly Queen that was down on her luck and finished the look off with Jack Sparrows eye patch.So sad for Madonna.

• Haha 1

Good Morning Dave,

I was thinking of you this evening, as I fancied that of all the people I “know” you and your partner would be the most likely to have  a Eurovision bash of some sort .... but I wondered whether you and your normal straighter-laced patrons might be on a different track for such an event.  But Eurovision and gin is a perfect combo.  I thought it was an extraordinary event.  Music was rubbish but Eurovision has nothing to do with music does it! 🙂 

Madonna.   I think these legends in their own minds all end up the same. They start off by rightly believing that their music is what bonds people and then wrongly conclude it is a vehicle for them (because they are now wise) to educate us dumpsters.  They are often too stupid to understand that the moment you believe your audience to be dumb then they wise-up to you.

I thought Israel did a remarkable job.  I had my bet on North Macedonia but was let down at the last hurdle.  

I hope the new business takes off.  It must be a stressful time.  I’m envious.  There is nothing more exciting than starting a new business from scratch.    There is only one mantra that guarantees success and that is “keep focussed as failing isn’t an option”.  Pass on my best wishes. 

Hope all Coolers travels are smooth and fun. 

Jan

I believe the pricing structure on Marella is err er .. worth looking at!

Some months ago I fancied a short, inexpensive, short break for April 2019 and was looking for something departing Newcastle around that time. I saw one Marella that caught my eye and looked into it … a trip to Norway.. midnight sun time etc 😀 I tried to price it to my requirements.

It was advertised as an adults only, all inclusive cruise, 13 nights, with a price from £1301 pp … £2602 for 2 x pax.

1 The ‘all inclusive’ was a basic drinks package, basic coffee etc. To ‘upgrade’ it to the next level “with the further benefits of a wide choice of premium spirits, upgraded cocktails, fresh juices, premium Lavazza coffees from The Coffee Port and a 1.5 litre bottle of water per cabin per day.” was £186.

2 The price quoted was for an inside cabin. To upgrade to a balcony of 17 sq m was a further £828. That is a pretty small cabin! If we upgrade to a junior suite – which is still small it is a total cost of £1514.

3 If I was to select my specific cabin it is a further £48.

With ‘early booking discounts’ we are now up to £4302 … without it is £4622.

They might be ‘All Inclusive’ but when you look at the buried ‘extra’s’ to get what you prefer it isn’t all that cheap.

Having said that it seems to me that most of the ‘mainstream’ companies use similar ‘disingenuous’marketing techniques.

Hi Jeff, many thanks for the well wishes. It’s a very exciting time. Company formed, websites bought and property agreed. Let’s just hope his redundancy is safe, we were watching the share prices very closely on Friday. 

With regards to Eurovision, we had a great night. I just couldn’t believe that nobody has a word in Madge’s ear. Maybe that was what all the hype was that was put out about will she won’t she, forget the whole political situation it was probably more to do with people trying to talk her out of it. 

‘Hope you and Mrs Jeff are good. It’s Nice to to have you back, we missed you here. 

The Norwegian Maritime Authorities and new environmental regulations which were mentioned some time ago ..... they have started enforcement already!

May 17 - Magellan, Environmental fine
Maritime Executive reports the Norwegian Maritime Authority has fined Greek cruise ship operator Global Cruise Lines Ltd. a total of $80,000 for using 0.17 percent sulfur fuel in a 0.10 percent sulfur ECA zone. In March, new Norwegian environmental requirements for emissions in several protected fjords - the Nærøyfjord, Aurlandsfjord, Geirangerfjord, Sunnylvsfjord and Tafjord - entered into force. The fine for Global Cruise Lines is the first issued in connection with the new, stricter rules. On April 16, the NMA received reports about smoke emissions from the cruise shipMagellan, which was berthed in Flåm. NMA surveyors boarded the ship when she arrived at Geiranger the next day, and they measured the sulfur content of the ship’s fuel to be 0.17 percent, or 0.07 percentage points above the regional limit. Tracking of the vessel's AIS signal showed that the vessel made ports of call at Eidfjord and Flåm in the days preceding the port of call at Geiranger. Both of these ports are located within the North Sea ECA, where the maximum allowable fuel sulfur content is 0.10 percent. NMA said that the extent of the violation is significant because the ship sailed a long distance within the emission control area using a fuel with an excessive sulfur content. As an aggravating factor, Norway's new rules concerning the world heritage fjords were violated.