Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
CC Help Michell

Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

Recommended Posts

Greetings Coolers!

 

JP that is brilliant!  I can't top that!  Thanks for a great giggle!

 

Have a great day all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Terry, I have been to all  the places you are visiting in Alaska....even with the terrible accident,  I highly recommend ISLAND WINGS in Ketchikan for a floatplane tour.  Michelle (owner and pilot) is awesome!  Juneau, Mendenhall Glacier is a "must see" (In my opinion)……..Sitka is very walkable...…..Skagway, do a train tour!

 

From Frantic36:  "Lois, I agree that Michelle and Island Wings are an excellent organisation. As we were there in July, 2017 we did an Anan Creek tour from Ketchikan with Michelle. She had organised the permits and we flew in landing by the shore. We were then met with a guide with rifle to walk us along the boardwalk to the river where the bear hide was. We had a couple of hours there and saw many bears, including cubs.   We had to book this many months in advance and wait to see if Michelle could get permits. It was well worth the wait."

 

Appreciate these follow-up, tips and suggestions from Lois and Frantic36.  Keep it coming!!  Very helpful.    We are traveling with another couple from the Philadelphia area and have these current, tentative plans:  For Ketchikan, we are doing a ship "Misty Fjords & Wilderness Explorer Cruise" tour that gets us back into these scenic areas and uses a waterjet-powered catamaran.  Plus, then maybe, we will have a little time to sample the Totem Heritage Museum in this town.  For Juneau, having a long 9 am to 11 pm, day at this Capital-City location, we will do the Mendenhall Glacier/Gardens and Mt. Roberts Tramway in the morning and early afternoon.   At 3 pm, we will do through Wings Airways, the "Taku Lodge Feast & 5-Glacier Seaplane Discovery Tour".  Through a family friend, I have a good connection with Holly, the Wings CEO, and she has been super helpful in planning and prep for Juneau.  Holly grew up here in Central Ohio and I know her mother well.  It should work out that I will be able to be in the co-pilot's seat for our scenic flights and using my camera. 

 

In Skagway, we considered the rail trip, but with our overall plan, we will have four different, other days in riding the trains.  For the four of us, we will have a rental car and will be going up into the Yukon Territory to explore and see various scenic locations, do the new ravine walkway, etc.  For Sitka, we have a private, small boat booked with Captain Paul Davis of Gallant Adventures for just six of us to head towards Saint Lazaria Island National Wildlife Refuge and see, hopefully, whales, birds, other wildlife, etc., etc.  After that exploring, we will see more around in historic Sitka. 

 

Overall, we will be able to be checking a variety of "different boxes" for sampling the many sights and sites of Alaska during our first visit in this large and dramatic state.  We will have air, boat, glacier, nature and wildlife experiences, etc.  Our time is limited in each of these ports, but we are seeking a reasonable "balance" of doing many different activities, but not trying to over-schedule too much.  As we are learning, there are many, many options in these four ports.  BUT, our time and budget have their limits.   Added suggestions, tips, ideas, etc.?   PLUS, this will be our first experience on the Silver Muse.  Looking forward to those ship experiences, good food, great service, etc.   

 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

 

Athens & Greece: Many visuals, details from two visits in a city with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 30,902 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, JohnGinPBG said:

Gosh, Terry, amazing photos from Botswana! The lion shot is epic. What lens were you using? 

Mrs. and I are looking into Africa for 2021. Did you do a cruise or a regular safari?

 

Appreciate these wonderfully kind comments and the smart follow-up questions from our friend in Florida.  For the lion picture, it was shot with my Nikon camera using a Nikkor 55-300mm zoom 4.5-5.6G ED lens.  That image was captured at a 230mm zoom lens setting.  ISO was 1600 and  it was at f/11 at 1/320 of a second.  Auto exposure was used.  I was using my older D3100 camera.  At Victoria Falls, my newer D7100 camera body was damaged from moisture, etc. Good that I had my back-up camera body along for this trip.  "Things" can happen, unfortunately.  The good news is that my damaged D7100 camera body was covered fully by insurance.   

 

As detailed below on my live/blog, our African Adventure involved five days initially in wonderful Cape Town.  Then, we got on the Silversea Silver Cloud for ten days sailing up and down the South Africa coast.  That included three different "safari days" that were independently arranged and set-up.  Then, after the cruise we traveled for a couple days to Victoria Falls, then we enjoyed six days at three different locations at Botswana camps operated by Belmond.  Clearly, in my view based on our experiences, just doing either a cruise or safari is not the best and only option.  Combining the different elements and aspects worked super well for our needs and interests.   Need more background?  Other questions about Africa?

 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

 

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 45,687 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

As detailed below on my live/blog, our African Adventure involved five days initially in wonderful Cape Town.

 

Thanks for the detailed camera settings for that epic lion shot. You really nailed it! I hope you have a large framed print of it at home in Terry's Photo Hall of Fame. I once knew a guy (you may know who I'm talking about) who killed big game in Africa and displayed his "trophies" mounted on the wall. This is so superior to that!

 

As for your 2016 Africa thread, this is epic as well! It's going to take hours to get through the entire post, but what I've seen so far has been wonderfully written and photographed. It will be a valuable resource as we consider Africa for our 2021 mega-trip. Thanks!

 

Of course, while reviewing your blog, I had to take a few "detours" to view your posts about Venice, Dubrovnik and Athens, all of which we'll be visiting in October on board the Silver Spirit. So much information and great pics. After two hours, however, I need a break! 

 

Thanks, as always, for sharing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Terry, wow, you are going to be really busy every day on the Alaska cruise.  Hope you can take a breath and just "take in the scenery":classic_biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Terry, just to let you know we didn't have to book the whole plane with Michelle. There were six of us in our group and a family group of parents and two adult children. You have to be agile enough to get in and out of the float plane and walk just under a mile to the bear hide. 

 

The flight between Ketchikan and Anan Creek was also interesting with Michelle answering questions as we flew.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greetings Coolers!

 

Today's funny.....

 

d5852dc4b1a0aaffed1d7ced86b943cb.jpg

 

Have a great day all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2019 at 1:31 PM, JohnGinPBG said:

Thanks for the detailed camera settings for that epic lion shot. You really nailed it! I hope you have a large framed print of it at home in Terry's Photo Hall of Fame. I once knew a guy (you may know who I'm talking about) who killed big game in Africa and displayed his "trophies" mounted on the wall. This is so superior to that!   As for your 2016 Africa thread, this is epic as well! It's going to take hours to get through the entire post, but what I've seen so far has been wonderfully written and photographed. It will be a valuable resource as we consider Africa for our 2021 mega-trip. Thanks!   Of course, while reviewing your blog, I had to take a few "detours" to view your posts about Venice, Dubrovnik and Athens, all of which we'll be visiting in October on board the Silver Spirit. So much information and great pics. After two hours, however, I need a break!   Thanks, as always, for sharing.

 

Hi, John from Florida!  You are very kind and nice with your follow-up.  GUILTY!!  Sorry that my pictures and live/blog details have consumed so much of your time.  BUT, glad that the info has been of help.  Don't hesitate to follow-up with any and all questions.  Yes, that lion picture is enlarged and featured at my downtown office.  BUT, the below Africa picture is actually posted in a larger format on my wall.  Is this visual a good one, too?

 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

 

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 220,830 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

 

For John, here is one of my top, enlarged favorite pictures from our Africa trip.  Does this hippo need to do a better job in brushing his teeth?:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

TC4_7546.jpg.f20332f9a807af1fb19d86d0b5b19bef.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

For John, here is one of my top, enlarged favorite pictures from our Africa trip.  Does this hippo need to do a better job in brushing his teeth?:

 

Yes, Terry, this is also an amazing picture, as are your leopards, elephants and that funny-looking bird! With your eye and experience, I'm really looking forward to seeing what you capture in Alaska. In Sitka, Denali, etc., you're sure to have plenty of opportunities.

 

I have over three months until we fly to Venice for our 4-week pre-cruise land vacation in Italy and Switzerland, so that will give me plenty of time to dive back into the wonderful world of Terry's Travels.

 

I'm sure you're counting the days until your northern sojourn. Enjoy the anticipation! I've always thought it's half the fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JohnGinPBG said:

Yes, Terry, this is also an amazing picture, as are your leopards, elephants and that funny-looking bird! With your eye and experience, I'm really looking forward to seeing what you capture in Alaska. In Sitka, Denali, etc., you're sure to have plenty of opportunities.   I have over three months until we fly to Venice for our 4-week pre-cruise land vacation in Italy and Switzerland, so that will give me plenty of time to dive back into the wonderful world of Terry's Travels.   I'm sure you're counting the days until your northern sojourn. Enjoy the anticipation! I've always thought it's half the fun.

 

Yes, we are counting the days till we board the Silver Muse on July 25 in Vancouver.  Just 49 days or seven weeks till that exciting day.  Just 40 days until we depart for Calgary, etc., in starting our movement west through the scenic Rocky Mountains.  Have cleared off a good-sized chunk of space on the MacBook Pro laptop to hold many thousands of pictures that I hope to capture during this upcoming adventure.  Glad to know you are a person of such high class, great taste and wonderful judgment to make these generous comments for these visuals.  Look forward to hearing more about your Venice, Switzerland and Italy travels.  What main Italy and Switzerland locations will you be visiting?

  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

 

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 235,790 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TLCOhio said:

What main Italy and Switzerland locations will you be visiting?

 

We start with 5 nights in the spectacular  Dolomites, then fly to Switzerland for five nights in Murren and Lauterbrunnen, then make our way to Lake Como for 3 nights, then off to Cinque Terre for 3 nights, then 5 nights at a villa/winery in Tuscany, then Florence and finally Venice for a couple nights prior to our Oct. 18 sailing on the Spirit. At least 1,000 pictures, for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

 Glad to know you are a person of such high class, great taste and wonderful judgment to make these generous comments for these visuals.

 

Any you, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnGinPBG said:

 

We start with 5 nights in the spectacular  Dolomites, then fly to Switzerland for five nights in Murren and Lauterbrunnen, then make our way to Lake Como for 3 nights, then off to Cinque Terre for 3 nights, then 5 nights at a villa/winery in Tuscany, then Florence and finally Venice for a couple nights prior to our Oct. 18 sailing on the Spirit. At least 1,000 pictures, for sure.

Sounds like a fantastic trip:classic_biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnGinPBG said:

At least 1,000 pictures, for sure.

 

Per day? 🤣😁😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Per day?

 

Well, I think in Alaska last year I averaged 100 per day. Maybe more in these great places. Time to get an extra memory card!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No doubt. We "only" took 1800 during our week in Ukraine. It was a slow week for us! On a typical longer 2-week trip we'll get close to 5000 between our cameras and cell phone shots. Luckily I don't shoot in RAW mode otherwise I'd run out of room on a daily basis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Terry, just to let you know we didn't have to book the whole plane with Michelle. There were six of us in our group and a family group of parents and two adult children. You have to be agile enough to get in and out of the float plane and walk just under a mile to the bear hide.  The flight between Ketchikan and Anan Creek was also interesting with Michelle answering questions as we flew.

 

From Lois R: "Hi Terry, wow, you are going to be really busy every day on the Alaska cruise.  Hope you can take a breath and just 'take in the scenery':"

 

Appreciate these two follow-ups from Lois and Frantic36. Yes, we have lots planned, but, it is our first visit to a wonderful area with so many different, very good options.  Can't just get off of the ship, walk around in the downtowns, etc.  Want to maximize the experience, but still keep it somewhat relaxing and fun.  We will also have a couple of sea days.   Michelle in Ketchikan sounds wonderful, but we already have one floatplane trip scheduled for Juneau.  We might also do a fly-over excursion up over Denali.  Only so much budget to do such flying trips.  And we want a variety of different options.  Keep the ideas, sharing and tips rolling. 

 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

 

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.!  Live/blog from early 2018, first adventure through SE Asia, stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before exploring all over Vietnam and Cambodia, seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 47,015 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

No doubt. We "only" took 1800 during our week in Ukraine. It was a slow week for us! On a typical longer 2-week trip we'll get close to 5000 between our cameras and cell phone shots. Luckily I don't shoot in RAW mode otherwise I'd run out of room on a daily basis.

 

I'll keep a count and let you know. I've scoped out  photo op places, and there are many. One of my main goals is to get a Milky Way photo in the Dolomites. The timing is good, and I just hope for clear skies. Something like this.

 


image.thumb.png.c4a86e04880486d155ebfbc50ba3a8e4.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greetings Coolers!

 

Today's funny.....(another good reason to be polite 🙂 )

 

39-funny-animal-memes-that-are-impawsibl

 

Have a great day all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Time to knit a scarf!

 

Finished labeling and organizing the Ukraine pictures. Will upload a SmugMug albun probably next week.

 

Happy Friday all. We leave for Portland tonight. Spending the weekend and hoping to bring back some tasty wine. 🍷

Edited by jpalbny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good morning friends...…..Happy Friday:classic_smile:

 

JP, hope you and Chris have a good weekend...….enjoy that wine (I know you will:classic_biggrin:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, JohnGinPBG said:

We start with 5 nights in the spectacular  Dolomites, then fly to Switzerland for five nights in Murren and Lauterbrunnen, then make our way to Lake Como for 3 nights, then off to Cinque Terre for 3 nights, then 5 nights at a villa/winery in Tuscany, then Florence and finally Venice for a couple nights prior to our Oct. 18 sailing on the Spirit. At least 1,000 pictures, for sure.

 

WOW!!  That's a super great itinerary for John from Florida.  Cruises can be wonderful, but it takes a creative land schedule to accomplish ALL of those excellent locations in Italy and Switzerland.  We still have Cinque Terre on our future to-do list.  

 

Continued great, exciting funnies from Mysty.  Good luck to JP and Chris for fun in Portland.  Looking forward to seeing those Ukraine pictures.  

 

As to picture-taking totals, much depends on what you are doing and where. For our 2014 Australia-New Zealand adventure, I totaled over 8000+ pictures taken during those four weeks.  For one day that started before sunrise in South Africa with a safari and finished with hippos on the water near the Indian Ocean, I took 900+ pictures. That's lots!!  When you are around wildlife in spectacular sites, it takes more shutter-snapping to capture the right and best angles, prime views, eyes being opened, etc., with these amazing creatures and for these great situations.  One key secret is to take lots of pictures as the opportunities are present and happening.  BUT, I download all pictures to my laptop each evening and only show people the "best of the best" images.  Dump the boring and bad pictures!!   That saves computer space and lets the audience see only the "good ones"!!  

 

For our upcoming western Canada Rockies and Alaska trip, I will definitely be taking more than 100 pictures each day.  As an example with whales or birds, you have to anticipate their "moves", have the camera in multiple-frame mode and then fire away when the best opportunities are happening, etc.  Hopefully, we will have good weather in late July. 

 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

 

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 63,947 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2019 at 5:42 AM, mysty said:

Greetings Coolers!

 

Today's funny.....

 

d5852dc4b1a0aaffed1d7ced86b943cb.jpg

 

Have a great day all!

So sweet, hilarous, but so sweet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...