Cruise Critic Community
L1211

New to Celebrity - would appreciate your thoughts!

We are in our 40s and love Celebrity...been on Summit, Silhouette and Equinox.

It's a VERY RELAXING LAID BACK line.

Food...outstanding all around.

Service...outstanding

Attire...we dressed up every night as did 90% of passengers.

Pools....very laid back.

Shows...ugh...not great.

Nightlife....my only complaint...if u dont go to the show, night life is boring...not much to do really, not enough live music around....VERY LOW KEY. I felt everyone was in bed by 10! We like to party, deck parties are non existent on Celebrity...total bummer

Beverage package...we always upgrade to premium...WELL WORTH IT!

Cabins...always had a balcony...clean and typical size.

We brought our 2 kids on a 10 day Caribbean on Equinox...they were 10 and 6....the employees treated them like royalty! They loved it but there were prob only 30 young kids on entire ship!!

I love Celebrity but just jumped ship to try the NEW MSC SEASIDE this November...

As it looks like a blast WITH PLENTY OF ENTERTAINMENT AT THE POOLS AND AT NIGHT for us!!!! They have theme nights, a snow/foam pool party, entertainment throughout at the bars etc...we cant wait!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forums mobile app

Thank you for your detailed thoughts. Sounds like we'd love dining and cocktails, just would there be enough to keep the young adults engaged... My other options are really carnival (we want a 5 day cruise because of limited time each DD has at home) and I'm just not sure I have another "rust bucket" in me!

We took out 3 daughters (20, 26 and 32) on the Equinox last June and they enjoyed that one. The previous Celebrity cruise we took them on was really boring and we had a hard time convincing them to try another one. They also just hung out with us in the evening. Didn't really do the theater shows but the lounge bands and silent disco were enough to keep us entertained for 7 days. Our girls are not party animals and by mindnight they are ready for bed. We like to party a bit more but on that cruise there was not much happening after 12. We recently did an Australia cruise on Celebrity, that one was very lively in the evenings, it was great fun.

In the evenings on Celebrity ships there is usually only one or two things going on at any one time. You don't get the variety of the huge ships. But it doesn't mean you wont have fun. Try it, you might like it. Foods good, drinks are good and usually the bands are decent.

We like to sail Celebrity with a group of friends, that way even if the entertainlment isn't good we can still have a good time. However our next cruise is on the Bliss.

Tricky. Difficult decision. The balance of responses seem to be suggesting not to go with Celebrity. I would go along with that. A nice new NCL ship might be the best bet. After 8 cruises with Celebrity we are finding the

entertainment increasingly boring (and we are certainly older than you!). For what it is worth, the only cruise we have taken (12 so far and counting) where there were

issues (rude and unhelpful staff) was on Infinity. We might have been unlucky but wouldn’t do it again. Whichever ship you choose I wish you a lovely cruise.

We strongly prefer X over NCL. BUT Based on what you enjoy, I'm With those that feel that X is not a good fit - for your girls and, probably, you and your husband.

I'll also add a few specifics.

Hands down, NCL has better AND more varied specialty dining venues. Celebrity had NCL beat in the MDR and the buffet - no contest there.

Production shows are WAY better on NCL.

Though it doesn't matter to us, we've found the Cruise Directors to be better/more involved on NCL (with one notable exception - Sue Denning on X was spectacular).

NCL has fewer top-drawer alcohol choices. If a specific brand of whiskey is a deal breaker for your husband, I would suggest he check both before committing.

We did not feel that the 'class distinction ' resulting from type of cabin booked or loyalty level was so evident in NCL. (This is one of the few things that annoys me about Celebrity.)

The much lauded Martini Bar is a mixed bag, in our opinion. The most noisy place in the ship, but with the antics of the bartenders, it's the most entertaining thing on the ship. If your daughters are under 21, they won't be able to partake in the martinis (generally, those with only a classic alcohol package can't either, without an upcharge). And, during prime hours, finding four seats together is virtually impossible if you want to sit at the bat to watch the antics of the bartenders.

ALL of these comments are only MY opinion. Obviously, others disagree.

I won't comment on RCCL. Sailed them once decades ago and hated it.

I agree with most of your comments, except the negative for RCCL.

We recently did a Transpacific 23 night cruise on Explorer of the Seas from Sydney to Seattle and found more similarities between RCCL and Celebrity. Since we were elite on Celebrity, we were Diamond on RCCL. The Diamond happy hour is great, from 4:30 to 8 and you can order up to three drinks on your cabin card outside the lounge (unlimited in the lounge), even in the dining room until 8. We didn't spend a penny on alcohol on the entire cruise.

The MDR food was almost as good as Celebrity. The buffet was not as good and the specialty restaurants were excellent. The entertainment, especially the ice shows (not on NCL or X) was on par with NCL or better. Service was excellent.

What is great about RCCL is that they don't price bundle. You don't have to accept a package that includes promos that you don't want. NCL bundles as well. Celebrity bundles, except for transatlantics and repo cruises, so their prices are frequently higher than RCCL.

I agree that RCCL is so much more enjoyable then NCL NCL we found to be a zoo. Too many people crammed into tiny cabins and not nearly enough public space We felt like we were in Target on black Friday. Food poor. I stated previously, if you can afford the haven, that is the only place to be. The vibe, adults only area is better then the pool deck but very limited access, so you may not be able to use it. and certainly not with kids. The Oasis class RC ships IMO cannot be beat for families with active kids. We love celebrity , especially the S class ships and are looking foward to the Edge.

I hope that gives you a flavor of how we cruise. We're good on port and the ship will be fine - but will it "fit" our brand of fun??? I truly welcome your input experienced Celebrity cruisers and thank you in advance!!

I've no doubt that you could have a good cruise on Celebrity. After all it's all about who you're with and what you make of your vacation that counts.

However from reading your posts and paying attention to the details I'm 100% certain you'd have a more enjoyable time on other lines for the following reasons :-

People who value quality entertainment as part of their cruise experience don't book Celebrity because it's simply, rubbish. Many would find a real lack of entertainment options anyway and the production shows are amateurish. Search this sub forum for more opinions you simply won't find many people writing positive posts about Celebrity entertainment. You will find many, many negative comments.

The Infinity is an M class ship. It's smaller than the newer S and E class ships and has limited bar and specialty dining venues. Whilst Qsine can be a fun place to try for families and groups you might not think a great deal about Tuscan Grill which often attracts mediocre comments. There's also a japanese restaurant, Sushi on 5 and that's it.

A big concern would also be that Celebrity simply do not target a 20 something age group. I genuinely believe your daughters would have a lot more fun on other lines.

I've no doubt that you could have a good cruise on Celebrity. After all it's all about who you're with and what you make of your vacation that counts.

However from reading your posts and paying attention to the details I'm 100% certain you'd have a more enjoyable time on other lines for the following reasons :-

People who value quality entertainment as part of their cruise experience don't book Celebrity because it's simply, rubbish. Many would find a real lack of entertainment options anyway and the production shows are amateurish. Search this sub forum for more opinions you simply won't find many people writing positive posts about Celebrity entertainment. You will find many, many negative comments.

The Infinity is an M class ship. It's smaller than the newer S and E class ships and has limited bar and specialty dining venues. Whilst Qsine can be a fun place to try for families and groups you might not think a great deal about Tuscan Grill which often attracts mediocre comments. There's also a japanese restaurant, Sushi on 5 and that's it.

A big concern would also be that Celebrity simply do not target a 20 something age group. I genuinely believe your daughters would have a lot more fun on other lines.

I so appreciate your experience and your candor. I’m considering leaving our first X cruise to only the DH and I. We will be empty nesters in exactly 9 days and can do more on our own. Again, appreciate your comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We took out 3 daughters (20, 26 and 32) on the Equinox last June and they enjoyed that one. The previous Celebrity cruise we took them on was really boring and we had a hard time convincing them to try another one. They also just hung out with us in the evening. Didn't really do the theater shows but the lounge bands and silent disco were enough to keep us entertained for 7 days. Our girls are not party animals and by mindnight they are ready for bed. We like to party a bit more but on that cruise there was not much happening after 12. We recently did an Australia cruise on Celebrity, that one was very lively in the evenings, it was great fun.

In the evenings on Celebrity ships there is usually only one or two things going on at any one time. You don't get the variety of the huge ships. But it doesn't mean you wont have fun. Try it, you might like it. Foods good, drinks are good and usually the bands are decent.

We like to sail Celebrity with a group of friends, that way even if the entertainlment isn't good we can still have a good time. However our next cruise is on the Bliss.

Enjoy the Bliss! Please let us know if you have a great cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Tricky. Difficult decision. The balance of responses seem to be suggesting not to go with Celebrity. I would go along with that. A nice new NCL ship might be the best bet. After 8 cruises with Celebrity we are finding the

entertainment increasingly boring (and we are certainly older than you!). For what it is worth, the only cruise we have taken (12 so far and counting) where there were

issues (rude and unhelpful staff) was on Infinity. We might have been unlucky but wouldn’t do it again. Whichever ship you choose I wish you a lovely cruise.

Thank you. While the dates and itinerary match, I am fully getting the nighttime vibe won’t be what we are looking for. The oldest is a NCL social chairman on each sailing, on the stage at Howl or a back up performer at Deck parties. Honestly, it just happens... I could see her being disappointed on Celebrity. I think the DH and I need to give this line a go without the girls in tow. Much appreciate your honesty.