Talkeetna Treasures Cruisetour with Celebrity on Millennium, 27JUL2018

PhD-iva

I attach a pdf file with my review of our TalkeetnaTreasures Cruisetour with Celebrity on Millennium, 27JUL2018.

If the pdf file is not accessible, I will laboriously copy/paste the text and pictures into a new thread. I hope this information and my impressions are useful to you.

Best wishes,

Talkeetna Treasures Cruisetour with Celebrity on Millennium.pdf

We also did a 3 day land tour followed by the 7 night Southbound cruise way back in 2005 and you are correct. A 3 day land tour is not enough. I also agree about the Denali tour it was disappointing.

I am hoping to go back next summer or in 2020.

Thank you for posting your review and pictures.

We were also did a prestay in Anchorage/Denali/Seward in advance of the July 27th Southbound Millenium cruise, but planned it on our own.

While we could have used more time in Alaska(who couldn't?), here's how we made the most of our time.

Arrived in Anchorage - 11pm Monday July 23rd, picked up rental car, stayed overnight Embassy Suites.

Tues am - got up, ate free breakfast, made a snack/supply stop at Walmart and by 7am on road north to Denali National park. Spent time at visitors center ate walmart sub sandwich, then took hike to sled dog kennels. Saw part of the 2pm ranger led sled dog demonstration, interacted with dogs and stayed for the 4pm demo, then took bus back to visitor center. Took a quick hike around Horseshoe Lake - part of our group saw beaver carrying cut log, the other part say mother moose and baby. Ate at Denali Park Salmon Bake. Stayed this night and next at Denali Primose B&B in Healy.

Wednesday - went on pre-booked 8 hour Tundra Wilderness Tour - Denali National Park Bus Ride with a 6:50am departure from the bus depot. Ate yogurt and cereal while waiting for bus to arrive from local hotels. Animals - saw moose/Dali sheep, bears, caribou, snowshoe hare, marmots, squirrels, hawks and peregrine falcon. Also got to see the top of Denali. Couldn't believe everything we saw - simply amazing! When booking was initially nervous about 8 hour, duration, but it went by super fast with lots of stops to get out stretch legs, bathroom breaks, stops for animals, etc. Bus had more comfortable seats like charter bus. Received a snack pack and water from the bus ride. Also brought sub sandwiches from previous day walmart run. Recommend a packed lunch. After bus ride went to visitors center. Then group split and took 2 different hikes one group to Mt Healy Overlook, the other group back to Horseshoe Lake. where moose and beaver were spotted again. Ate again at Denali Park Salmon Bake. Stayed at Denali Primrose B&B.

Thursday - left Healy 6:30 am to head back to Anchorage. Got lunch at Glacier brewhouse. Switched cars at airport (minimized the 1 way fee to be only 1 day). Then rainy drive to Seward. Stopped at Exit Glacier visitor's center. Took rainy hike to Exit Glacier's edge and back. Checked in at Twin Peaks Lodge. Ate dinner at Exit Glacier Salmon Bake. So close could have walked to dinner and back to lodge, but we drove into Seward and port area to see other dining options and see where ship would be.

Friday am - Slept in, ate quick cereal breakfast at lodge, dropped rental car in port area. Boarded ship when opened at 11am. Fun to have mostly empty ship for a while.