What's up with the Ocean Terminal in Southampton after November 4th?

bluemarble

Just curious if anyone knows what the situation is with the Ocean Terminal in Southampton later this year. The Southampton Cruise Ship schedule is showing no ships docking at the Ocean Terminal the rest of this year after QM2 docks there on November 4th.

Looking back at a copy of the schedule I have from about three months ago, there are at least 15 cases where ships were originally scheduled to dock at the Ocean Terminal from November 5th through the end of the year. Those ships will now be docking elsewhere. Here are the changes.

QV moved from Ocean to Mayflower on Nov 5, 16, 19 and Dec 23

QM2 moved from Ocean to QEII on Nov 18 and Dec 15

Oceana moved from Ocean to Mayflower on Nov 9, 21

Ventura moved from Ocean to Mayflower on Nov 10, 12, 23, 26 and Dec 9, 21

Saga Saphire moved from Ocean to City on Dec 18-19

Of course this is no big deal. This just got me wondering what might be going on with the Ocean Terminal later this year to trigger all these terminal reassignments away from the Ocean Terminal to other terminals.

Edited by bluemarble

Thanks for that information. I had no idea. I'm on QV 5th November and should have gone from Ocean. No doubt we'll get an "emergency notification" email from Cunard a week before informing us.

I've been talking to Ray 66 on the UK page, and he said that someone had mentioned a refurb... but we've had to travel from Mayflower in Jan '16 and '17 on Ventura, and March '18 on Oceana. There was no reason for this, because each time we were the only ships around in Southampton; everything else was away on worldies, or long cruises.

We wondered whether loading of the food had anything to do with it, as the 2 Ventura cruises were for a month, and the Oceana one was repositioning for summer.

• 2 months later...

Just spotted this article from yesterday's Daily Echo which looks like it may pertain to this topic.

City port set for £12million investment

It states "The one-year-long programme will see Ocean Terminal transformed to accommodate a growing demand for cruise ships to dock in the city."  It also mentions preparations for Iona and LNG.

• 3 weeks later...

The Southampton Cruise Ship Schedule page has been updated recently to include the schedule through March 2019. That schedule is showing Azura and Britannia will be using the Ocean Terminal in March, starting with Azura on 22 March 2019.

Just as an aside, during January 2019, the schedule is showing QM2 will be at the QEII terminal (which is to be expected), but QE and QV will be at the City Terminal which is a little bit out of the ordinary for them based on past schedules.

Edited by bluemarble