Bar in Guy's Pig & Anchor Brewhouse on Horizon vs Redfrog Pub on other ships

cmichael1279

How does the bar atmosphere in Guy's Pig & Anchor Brewhouse on Horizon compare to the RedFrog Pub on Vista/Magic/Breeze/Etc??

In the past, we spent a lot of time in RedFrog hanging out/drinking beer/playing games/listening to music/etc - I'm curious if Guy's Brewhouse has a similar bar-type atmosphere, outside of the times they're serving food.

Thanks!

• 5 months later...

Hello! I am hoping to "bump" this question because I was just searching for this answer myself. We are looking at booking Horizon but are really missing the fun atmosphere of Red Frog Pub. Does Guy's Brewhouse have similar games like the shuffleboard, foosball, etc?

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 11:51 PM, cmichael1279 said:

How does the bar atmosphere in Guy's Pig & Anchor Brewhouse on Horizon compare to the RedFrog Pub on Vista/Magic/Breeze/Etc??

In the past, we spent a lot of time in RedFrog hanging out/drinking beer/playing games/listening to music/etc - I'm curious if Guy's Brewhouse has a similar bar-type atmosphere, outside of the times they're serving food.

Thanks!

In ways it's better in other ways not as good.  The 3 barkeeps weren't very attentive and were slow.  Certainly weren't up to the skill levels of the ones at the alchemy in terms of mixed drinks.  (Good bourbon selections and decent craft beer brewed there which is way better than the Budwieser made Thirsty Red Frog).  Food is excellent for dinner (separate $), get the ribs and mac n cheese,  but the seaday quality was lacking, at least on embarkation day.  Bar area gets crowded but seemed tlike there were always tables in the back and outside.  There is entertainment. 

I was also just looking for this info....from the pictures the space/decor is exactly the same but sounds like completely different atmosphere. huge let down but it's a big ship I am sure we will find a new place to hang out and relax

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, sabhoy said:

Just wondering if they are doing any cooking/serving of food outside.. or is it all inside with seating outside?  We booked our balcony on deck 6 upstairs from this venue

thx 

MOVE......on embarkation day and sea days the lunchtime area is all served outside with a few tables there, but mainly seating is inside.  If you're planning on chilling on your balcony during the middle of the day on sea days, then I would move unless you wish to enjoy the smell....of course it could be worse if your neighbor's are smokers.

On 2/5/2019 at 3:52 PM, nyo1011 said:

I was also just looking for this info....from the pictures the space/decor is exactly the same but sounds like completely different atmosphere. huge let down but it's a big ship I am sure we will find a new place to hang out and relax

Between the Pig n Anchor, the Havana Bar, the Atrium Bar and the Piano bar, there are multiple options for live music.  And of course the best drinks are found at the Alchemy Bar.

On 2/4/2019 at 6:03 PM, CruisingAgain said:

No shuffleboard, foosball or the other "games" (e.g. swinging ring).  We missed all of that!!!  Nice bar, food and entertainment but not the bar atmosphere to me.

That's surprising. All that was present on the Vista.

How do the beers compare?

I really enjoyed the flight of beers at Red Frog on the Vista.  Hoping the Pig & Anchor ones are good too.

Did anyone do the brewery tour on the Pig & Anchor?  I thought I read that they have one.  Is it free?

4 minutes ago, bowlinmoe said:

How do the beers compare?

I really enjoyed the flight of beers at Red Frog on the Vista.  Hoping the Pig & Anchor ones are good too.

Did anyone do the brewery tour on the Pig & Anchor?  I thought I read that they have one.  Is it free?

The flights are identical between the Vista and the Horizon unless the Horizon is brewing a limited variety.  The tour is 25.00 and includes a pint glass filled with your draft of choice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SNJCruisers said:

The flights are identical between the Vista and the Horizon unless the Horizon is brewing a limited variety.  The tour is 25.00 and includes a pint glass filled with your draft of choice.

Awesome, thanks.

(by the way, I grew up in Vineland....go Phillies!)  🤩

I don’t think the Pig n Anchor comes close to the Red Frog Pub. We usually spend a lot of time in the Red Frog Pub on ships that have it. On our recent cruise on Horizon, we spent no more than 30 minutes total in the Pig n Anchor during an 8 day cruise.  Also, and this is definitely subjective, the beer brewed on Vista is way better than the beer brewed on Horizon. 

11 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Also, and this is definitely subjective, the beer brewed on Vista is way better than the beer brewed on Horizon. 

Since the brewing formula would be the same, how could one draft taste that much better on the Vista compared to the Horizon?  Unless you're comparing a Guinness with and without nitro, the beers should taste the same.  It would like saying a bottle of Budweiser bottled in St. Louis is better than one bottled in Newark, NJ.

5 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Since the brewing formula would be the same, how could one draft taste that much better on the Vista compared to the Horizon?  Unless you're comparing a Guinness with and without nitro, the beers should taste the same.  It would like saying a bottle of Budweiser bottled in St. Louis is better than one bottled in Newark, NJ.

They don’t brew the same beers on both ships.  Using your analogy, it would be like comparing Budweiser bottled in St Louis, MO compared to Coors bottled in Golden, CO.