Compulsive cruise prep

My name is Kathy and I'm a compulsive vacation planner! Hence, I am on Cruise Critic at 7:25 am on a Saturday morning and my cruise isn't til November.

I make a spreadsheet as well as a Word doc of my itinerary, complete with pics to make it fun. I used to use a binder, but now I upload everything into icloud (my iCloud is used only for vacations, and has folders like "Air", "Hotel", "Cruise", "Rental Car", "Tours Reservations", etc. ). Then I upload so that I can view it even when I'm offline, on either my phone or iPad. Eco-friendly :)

My family makes fun of me - I don't care, I love it. And it's not so much about planning every minute, but being aware of the options that are available, depending on our mood, the weather, etc. Just got back from a trip to Scotland and Ireland and it was pretty near perfectly planned if I do say so myself ;)

Cheers to all my fellow planners and thanks for some of the additional tips & tricks!

Yes! I knew you were out there! I have my folder version of a spreadsheet. The trouble is that I've run out of things to prepare! ��

I use the folder as well :). I also have a spare room I use for vacation where I put what I plan to pack. Some things never change after each trip I replace any item needed like sunscreen, toothpaste etc. and put the case back in the staging area so that stuff is always there. I add crossword books, paperbacks (yes I read the old fashion way), clothes not needed for home wear. Then I keep adding then about 3-4 days out I start removing items like do I really need 6 pairs of shoes for a week or does my husband need 9 shirts :) :).

I have more fun planning sometime I think.

Oh I love this post. I'm not alone.

You also live not too far from us. We're in Syracuse.

Good morning, I do am a compulsive planner...

My cruise isn’t until next August. I have already started buying things to make my trip better like new luggage and accessories. I’ve also decided which ports we will do activities and what we’ll be doing. My husband every night comes in the room and asks what new things I’ve read about our cruise 379 days away...

I guess I want to be prepared [emoji5]

By the way 2Oldpeopleinlove, Orchard Park, NY is in the house!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So, my compulsive planning peeps. Besides spreadsheets and an Amazon Prime addiction, what other planning tools are part of your "sickness" to enhance the fun of anticipation? Websites, apps, ???

What boards on Cruise Critic do you haunt? I watch my cruiseline specific board, my roll call, Ask a Cruise Question, and my specific port of call.

I downloaded an app called Cruisemates but it is mostly useless.

As a graphics professional and event planner, I've also taken on my roll call meet and mingle and had an excellent time creating a super fun invitation to deliver once on board.

My planning has mainly to do with attractions, transportation and accommodations. I pack the night before and know the necessities as I’ve done it so many times.

My problem is I’m thrifty and prefer to DIY so I have information on:

1) where my ship docks or tenders

2) A google walking map or public transportation map & schedule to each attraction or hotel (usually the most economical option)

3) pre-booked entrance fees & estimated spending

4) a blurb or podcast about the site for DW

5) liberal estimated arrival and departure times for sites (DW shops)

I create a manual for each port which I remove from the binder the night before going ashore. I only do ships excursions when sites are a distance away or DIY is complicated as DWs stress levels aren’t as high as mine. I also know my limitations when it comes to communication in a foreign language.

I use Tripit too, but sometimes its linear layout is not useful. I like to see an overview of the whole cruise too.

This is my simple spreadsheet.[ATTACH]426527[/ATTACH]

I LOVE this!!

I made a copy! Thank you! Previously I have made lists upon lists. I usually start packing two months before - I constantly buy new clothes ( that I really don't need-lol) and pack them in the luggage. Then a week or two before the cruise I am repacking because I have too many clothes! I do it every time.

Like Cagney's much? :D;p
[emoji13] I may change some to other specialty venues once on board, but at least I have "something" reserved for the times I want. We've got 7 nights of specialty dining prepaid and I was worried that since nearly everyone is being offered 3 free nights, it might be hard to get in when we wanted.

When it gets this close—less than a month away—I’m so ready to go that I keep looking for ways to prepare. So far I’ve set aside all my clothes and toiletries and bought a minifan recommended here and compostable plastic straws.

Keep me off Amazon! Tell me what else I can do, like downloading music on my iPad last night, that won't cost anything but keep my cruise compulsion satisfied!

Print out all the Dailies. Highlight all the activities you want to attend. Use a different color for the "can't misses." Cross off all of the stuff you don't care to do.

Also, try on all of your outfits, especially your white outfit. :champagne-toast:

Oh my! This is so me. All of it.

I just enjoyed a 19 day road trip with my family from NY- CA. I had so much fun with the details.

I’ve been guilty of coordinating Outfits for my family of 8. (Not matching.). But to insure photos that are easy on the eyes.

Pre plan meals. Etc. love it.

Yes to amazon!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Print out all the Dailies. Highlight all the activities you want to attend. Use a different color for the "can't misses." Cross off all of the stuff you don't care to do.

Also, try on all of your outfits, especially your white outfit. :champagne-toast:

So how do you get your hands on the dailies for your cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I too obsess about planning, but what are ya'll buying on Amazon?!

Things on Amazon like:

Door Decor

Straw

Mini Fan

Water Proof Bag - For cellphone or other doc if going swimming alone and you cannot leave your things on the beach.

Clothes Organizer bag

If someone is really into planning, they can definitely buy certain things for their cruise to have more fun.

For example, door decors or a name tag to hang on their door.

On my previous cruise, I passed by a stateroom - the door was decorated for Halloween and of course it is easier to notice right away which room is your without looking at the room # if you were in this room.

Bermuda in September?

You can start constantly watching tropical updates for any Atlantic storms and research any ports on a New England/Canadian cruise in case you board the ship and the itinerary changes (you can get several sweatshirts in your luggage, correct?). :eek:

No advice but I can relate. As soon as we book our cruise, I start browsing around for new clothes, lol. I have my repertoire of stores - Old Navy, Macy's, Lane Bryant, Rainbow (lol they have good bargains), TJMaxx/Marshall's, and Kohl's.

As the cruise gets closer, we are typically "off season" so the summery stuff goes on sale, then clearance, then "they need to sell it to make room for the fall stuff" clearance lol. So I sometimes see something I like 4-5 different times before I actually buy it, since I keep waiting for the price to drop. Then I start organizing, making lists, what I am going to wear each day, etc.

That's *my* cruise compulsion!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

I use Tripit too, but sometimes its linear layout is not useful. I like to see an overview of the whole cruise too.

This is my simple spreadsheet.[ATTACH]426527[/ATTACH]

Thanks so much! I liked it so much that I've stolen your ideas and put my next cruise in that format. More to follow!

I think a side benefit is after the cruise is over, I'll have a compact record of the activities. Sometimes folks ask about specific ports/excursions that I "know" I've been to...but since I can't even remember what I had for breakfast often I'm no help. With this record, someone might actually think I'm one of the sharper pencils in the box.;p

Thanks so much! I liked it so much that I've stolen your ideas and put my next cruise in that format. More to follow!

I think a side benefit is after the cruise is over, I'll have a compact record of the activities. Sometimes folks ask about specific ports/excursions that I "know" I've been to...but since I can't even remember what I had for breakfast often I'm no help. With this record, someone might actually think I'm one of the sharper pencils in the box.;p

I'm glad it's helpful!

I have a couple of additional tabs to the spreadsheet with packing list and reminders and my roll call attendee info.

All of this is so like me! Amazon Prime is my best friend for cruise stuff. I also keep all the cruise stuff in a plastic folder with a zip lock tip. Kind of funny that I get a bit embarrassed when I pull out my folder to get something out thinking people might think I am nuts. Not so much now seeing that other people do it also! The only thing I go out of my way not to do is look at the dailies. I like to be surprised about what to expect on the cruise.