Cruise Critic Community
2Oldpeopleinlove

Compulsive cruise prep

These are all great sharings!  

Here's a new topic.  How do you plan to pack?  I keep an ongoing list, updating a copy for each new cruise.  I gray out things that don't apply for a trip so I have them for next time.  For example, It's a big decision to take snorkel gear or not. It takes a lot of space. If there are two or more definite places to use it, I may take it, if not, I won't. My list helps me make sure I restock all the items in my medicine and first aid kit.  And the  big thing is clothes planning.  I lay out each day with clothing needed, considering if we need

- bathing suit/coverup

- touring (shorts, etc) / casual dinner

- dressy dinner (slacks, dress)

I can add up how many of each outfit is needed.   Then I judge if we should do laundry, and make sure there is overlap for 2 day turnaround on that. This way I can reach agreement with my wife over how much to pack! I would take too little without this plan and my wife would take too much (I know, how typical).  But this method works great.  I even consider the likelihood we will buy a few new shirts on the trip.

Hopefully, we will be able to take our November cruise. It's 13 days with 2 days in New York before and 5 days in New Orleans after.  Quite a challenge! I am thinking we will need to do laundry twice... or I will need to hire a Sherpa for our luggage.

16 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

These are all great sharings!  

Here's a new topic.  How do you plan to pack?  I keep an ongoing list, updating a copy for each new cruise.  I gray out things that don't apply for a trip so I have them for next time.  For example, It's a big decision to take snorkel gear or not. It takes a lot of space. If there are two or more definite places to use it, I may take it, if not, I won't. My list helps me make sure I restock all the items in my medicine and first aid kit.  And the  big thing is clothes planning.  I lay out each day with clothing needed, considering if we need

- bathing suit/coverup

- touring (shorts, etc) / casual dinner

- dressy dinner (slacks, dress)

I can add up how many of each outfit is needed.   Then I judge if we should do laundry, and make sure there is overlap for 2 day turnaround on that. This way I can reach agreement with my wife over how much to pack! I would take too little without this plan and my wife would take too much (I know, how typical).  But this method works great.  I even consider the likelihood we will buy a few new shirts on the trip.

Hopefully, we will be able to take our November cruise. It's 13 days with 2 days in New York before and 5 days in New Orleans after.  Quite a challenge! I am thinking we will need to do laundry twice... or I will need to hire a Sherpa for our luggage.

I have a packing list too that has everything I could possibly need and edit as needed.  Just like you my staging room has what we will need each day and it goes into packing cubes according to the day with the day attached to it along with the port and plans for that day.  I also have a "spare clothes" cube incase something is spilled.  We use the laundry service and re-wear some things.  

This is a fun thread!  So nice to hear others ideas.

I start packing weeks before. I have a typed list with boxes to check off as I go along. So far I have never forgotten any thing.

So far I have not forgotten a thing either and even with my list I tend to over pack!  Go figure.  

I always have the same dream a few days before leaving.....I don't have my documents or passports!  I check, double check and triple check before leaving the house.  

PelicanBill - go for the Sherpa!

for all my Trip planning and multiple lists, I don’t have a packing list. My DH, no planning, does have a list. Go figure. 

I start laying out clothes and needed items on the extra bedroom bed about 3;weeks before, as I check the weather of our destination.   It’s amazing how much stuff can fit in a rolling carryon! Of course, a large personal item helps immensely 😂

I don't have a lot of clothes.  Infact I usually have only enough clothes for just the trip.  But I just count tops and bottoms and usually rewear bottoms.   Throw in a nice outfit and off we go.  I hang my clothes in a separate place that I think I am taking so all I have to do is throw in the suitcase.  My swimsuit stays in the suitcase permanently as that is the only place I swim.  My magnets, clock, etc all just stay in the suitcase also.

I pack the day prior.    But,  most often I would have also just booked the cruise.     It's automatic.   I don't use any lists and know exactly what I'll need.    Being I sometimes don't end as expected and continue touring-  I usually take triple =  at least the medications and medical supplies I need.      Laundry is your best friend cutting down on bulk.   I have 1 25" bag-  and have easily been gone for 2 months.     It provides freedom and ease of movement and the ability to use mass transit etc.   🙂   

So my compulsive planner trait kicked night before last and I checked the status on hotels opening their booking systems up for July 2021 cruise...Scored!  

Got the Hyatt downtown Miami in mid-July for150 pn

can cancel if I get the preferred hotel, and preferred only because it is closer to port and I want to hopefully see the ship in the morning.  Won’t be able to from the Hyatt I don’t think.

Oh and shore excursions are being added to our cruise..up to 105 already at 387 days. Now we start thinking about what we are going to do.  I think I have 3 of the 4 ports figured out.

Posted (edited)

Preparing is a major activity for me and has saved me from mucho indignities, whether it be being stranded in the exact center of the Sahara due to my camel safari cancelled or running out of toilet paper on a shakedown cruise on a refitted ship. I will toss out a few recent thoughts, then will begin laying out stuff in cardboard trays to prioritize:

Digital life: I will load up SDcards with audiobooks, ebooks, videos, and music for insertion into an old wreck of a laptop and tablet. I will bring maps of free wifi hotspots in certain ports, but won't count on connectivity for my many at sea days or any other time.

Clothing: Doesn't onboard laundry cost more than the clothing itself? I am thinking of saving up a bunch of underwear and socks near end of life, and throwing them away after usage. The ports I visit throughout a month aren't known for laundromats, and anyway I hate having anyone else laying hands or eyes on my dirty stuff.

Gobs of toilet paper is sometimes needed in a panic - I am in process of saving the "cores" of industrial coreless toilet paper that I had to resort to in recent months. It is quite remarkable, with the inner inch diameter of roll being a tightly bound stretch of superlong paper, kind of like the endless handkerchiefs that get pulled from a magicians sleeve. They pack into a tiny corner taking no space but serviceable as kleenex or whatever.

Edited by dumbth

“Clothing: Doesn't onboard laundry cost more than the clothing itself? I am thinking of saving up a bunch of underwear and socks near end of life, and throwing them away after usage. The ports I visit throughout a month aren't known for laundromats, and anyway I hate having anyone else laying hands or eyes on my dirty stuff.”

we do this..we will buy a new package or 2. Enough to almost cover our trip, leave the package unopened, won’t be able to pack it better.  And add in the stuff on the last legs and toss after worn.  That way I don’t end up washing and keep wearing...Socks and underwear we always over pack anyway...

Besides old school tech, like needle and thread or adhesive tape, I am gonna take electronic noise cancelling earbuds. My whole set has volume of only my thumb, yet has usb charging port and can even function without power in non-cancel mode.

Best new gadget popular with yachties is stabilized binoculars. You may have seen how recent gopros can clean up jiggly videos well, and how on the other hand powerful handheld optics are very jiggly. But to me it is a big waste to spend a thousand on duplicate equipment for each eye. I have found stabilized monocular for under a hundred due to being (closeout) gyroscope based rather than electronic tech. I anticipate some fun boat and shore spotting.