New Menu in Verandah on QM2

Too Young for Cunard

Could anybody on board QM2 provide any further details on the new/ temporary menu in the Verandah on QM2. I am curious as to what the more ‘international’ menu offering looks like.

I too was wondering and await possible photo or copy of a sample menu from the new menu.

Hope someone will post it soon.

Just back. It’s mainly steak with some salad/seafood options. The feel is steakhouse. Never experienced it before it changed as we were first timers and dined there 31 July. I wouldn’t go again, for me I would have preferred a fine dining option. We skipped dessert and went back to our Britannia Club table for coffee (and to show off our vow renewal outfits to the diners we had started to get to know). Got free lattes back there from the M’aitre d as we were celebrating.

Just back. It’s mainly steak with some salad/seafood options. The feel is steakhouse. Never experienced it before it changed as we were first timers and dined there 31 July. I wouldn’t go again, for me I would have preferred a fine dining option. We skipped dessert and went back to our Britannia Club table for coffee (and to show off our vow renewal outfits to the diners we had started to get to know). Got free lattes back there from the M’aitre d as we were celebrating.

We always have lattes. The main dining room and havent been charged for one yet!

Just booked a table for 14th Sept, charged $99.90 for 2 so it better be good ��

As it stands the new menu on QM2 only lasts until 7th September and is $39pp so it must be returning to Verandah which is charged at $49-95pp. Strange because I have asked Cunard direct what happens on September 7th will it return to Verandah menu because we are on her in October and they didnt confirm what was happening just to wait and there will be "exciting news in the near future"

The verandah restaurant on the Queen Elizabeth was terrifoc. We found it excellent on both the maiden voyage and again on a Panama Canal voyage.

Which is why I was excited that they had booted the vastly underwhelming Todd English off the QV and QM2.

Made our first visit to the QM2 version this July and it seemed that many elements of the boring Todd English menus were still in play. We were in Princess Grill and regular dining there was far better.

Hopefully these new changes in September finally create a restaurant worth paying a surcharge for as was the one on QE

A menu for The Verandah is posted today on the Cunard.com site under booked guests.

 Starters 

White Crab and Sea Urchin Roe

Textures of Cauliflower, Squid Ink Cracker

Sea Scallop Ceviche Salad

Smoked Eel, Granny Smith Apple

Ravioli of Scottish Langoustine

Bottarga, Bagna Cauda, Parsley Purée

Duck Liver and Chicken Torchon

Fig Carpaccio, Espelette Chilli, Candied Hazelnuts

Frogs Legs Sucette

Crisp Shallots, Caramelised Black Garlic

Bayonne Ham

Gruyére Gourgé, Vegetable Chiffon, Olive Oil Jelly

Highland Venison Tartare

Soused Radish, Heritage Beetroot, Horseradish

Asparagus Spears

Oeuf Mollet, Pink Grapefruit, Warm Mayonnaise (v)

 Soup 

Soup of the Season

 Main Courses 

Wild Turbot en Papillote

Skate and Mussel Cannelloni, Chilli Crevett e,

Beurre Blanc

Slipper Lobster Tail, Octopus and Red Mullet

Fennel, Broad Beans, Bouillabaisse Fondue

Label Rouge Guinea Hen

Salt Baked Carrots, Morels, Dried Grapes

Liquorish Magret of Chalosse Duck

Nave and Orange Fondant,

Yorkshire Champagne Rhubarb

Loin of Gascon Black Pig

Ibérico Pork Presa, Boudin Noir, Apple Galette,

Pedro Ximénez Jus

Rack* and Shoulder of Dorset Lamb

Panisse Fritters, Niçoise Tapenade, Smoked Tomato Chutney

Galician Aged Beef Fillet

Escargots and Bone Marrow, Pont Neuf Potatoes,

Romesco, Marcona Almonds

Confit Byaldi

Piperade, Kaolin Pebbles, Goat Curds, Tomato Consommé (v)

 Desserts 

Amalfi Lemon Ile Flotante

Caramelised Sugar Crust

Poached Anjou Pear Parfait

Herb Florentine, Raspberries,

Chocolate Sauce

Chocolate Ganache and Tonka Bean Mousse

Speculaas Biscuit, Olive Oil Ice Cream

Coriander Meringue and Alphonso Mango

Pineapple Gel, Coconut Sorbet

Rum au Baba

Crème Chantilly, Demerara Rum Shot

Warm Agen Prune and Armagnac Tart

Walnut Madeleine, Clotted Cream

Hot Pistachio Soufflé

Pomegranate and Rose Scented Ice Cream

Cheese

Artisan Biscuits, Sundried Fruits

We could see nothing on it either of us would touch. Uncooked venison? It is a shame to be leaving NYC and all the lovely ethnic food choices to have this as our dining upgrade choice? The mass market lines in some cases make an effort to see what people like to eat- or even what is hip and popular.

Edited by ew101

Hattie it is a fair question. What we are leaving behind includes: Turkish kebabs. Chicken Shawarma. Seafood gumbo. Shrimp soup from Peru. Carbonara. Cheese stuffed hamburgers. Bangers and mash. The fish and chips from Portsmouth. Tapas. Paella. Anything Indian. Stuffed green peppers from Greece. Anything from a recent gastropub menu. Gnocchi. Bouillabaisse. Tamales. Deep dish pizza. Quinoa salad. Brussel sprouts.

If you have the best chefs in the world aboard, you can cook almost anything?

A menu for The Verandah is posted today on the Cunard.com site under booked guests.

 Starters 

White Crab and Sea Urchin Roe

Textures of Cauliflower, Squid Ink Cracker

Sea Scallop Ceviche Salad

Smoked Eel, Granny Smith Apple

Ravioli of Scottish Langoustine

 Main Courses 

Wild Turbot en Papillote

Skate and Mussel Cannelloni, Chilli Crevett e,

Beurre Blanc

Slipper Lobster Tail, Octopus and Red Mullet

Fennel, Broad Beans, Bouillabaisse Fondue

Label Rouge Guinea Hen

Salt Baked Carrots, Morels, Dried Grapes

Liquorish Magret of Chalosse Duck

Nave and Orange Fondant,

What a nice menu. Thank you for posting. If the quality is as good as the descriptions it promises to be a lovely experience.

A menu for The Verandah is posted today on the Cunard.com site under booked guests. ...

Just to be clear, I don't think that is a new dinner menu for the Verandah. It is identical to one I downloaded from voyage personaliser in May for our recently completed June voyages on QM2 (and prior to the recent changes to the menu for the "Steakhouse at the Verandah" introduced July 27). I don't think we know yet what Cunard's plans are for the Verandah on QM2 after the current trial period of the "Steakhouse" concept which Cunard has stated concludes on September 8.

Edited by bluemarble

Hattie it is a fair question. What we are leaving behind includes: Turkish kebabs. Chicken Shawarma. Seafood gumbo. Shrimp soup from Peru. Carbonara. Cheese stuffed hamburgers. Bangers and mash. The fish and chips from Portsmouth. Tapas. Paella. Anything Indian. Stuffed green peppers from Greece. Anything from a recent gastropub menu. Gnocchi. Bouillabaisse. Tamales. Deep dish pizza. Quinoa salad. Brussel sprouts.

You can indeed. But I rather doubt you'd offer it in a shipboard take on a fine French or British restaurant. What you list is indeed off a "gastropub" menu, something more seen on a chalkboard than on the menu of an elegant Continental dining room. The quality of the Verandah restaurant I cannot vouch for but it's an exquisitely decorated room (certainly the most attractive of all the QE's rooms in my opinion) and this particular menu looks superb and wouldn't disgrace the Carlton in Cannes or the Crillon in Paris in its choice and inventiveness. Not sure if this is indeed current owing to the "steakhouse" new offerings or not.

Edited by kohl57

Just to be clear, I don't think that is a new dinner menu for the Verandah. It is identical to one I downloaded from voyage personaliser in May (prior to the recent changes to the menu for the "Steakhouse at the Verandah" introduced July 27). I don't think we know yet what Cunard's plans are for the Verandah on QM2 after the current trial period of the "Steakhouse" concept which Cunard has stated concludes on September 8.

It says it is a dinner menu. It is attached below (hopefully). But it is undated. You might be right.

The Verandah.pdf

Edited by ew101

It says it is a dinner menu. It is attached below (hopefully). But it is undated. You might be right.

Yes, that's identical to the pdf file I downloaded from Voyage Personaliser in May prior to our recently completed June voyages on QM2. So I don't think it represents a new menu, although I have to say I never compared it to what the Verandah menu actually looked like on board QM2 in June.

Those aren't really Verandah type items, some of them are available in either the pub or the alternative Kings Court restaurants or if you really want to have whatever you fancy try Queens Grill.

I believe that THIS (above) is the current menu, and the offerings posted by ew101 appear not to be the current Verandah menu.

Personally I had been looking forward to trying the former Verandah fare despite its overly fussy pretensions ... it seemed oddly enticing to experience the sort of retro offerings that would have impressed my (then) unsophisticated British parents in the 1950s.

By comparison, the steakhouse menu indeed seems quite pedestrian, unless the execution is flawless. I mean, a chain steakhouse such as The Keg offers more variety, let alone a bespoke steakhouse such as Toronto's Harbour Sixty.

Where are the exotic meats (other than the pricey Wagyu up-sell)?

Where are the re-imaginings of old familiar dishes?

The finest cut of meat I've ever tasted in a restaurant was a Caribou steak at the (now closed) Sweetgrass (First Nations Aboriginal) restaurant in Ottawa. Elk steak in Banff was also excellent. If I want a New York strip steak I can go to any third-rate steakhouse in any North American city.

There are almost no alternative choices than the red meat, let alone meatless choices.

I suspect that some older passengers might have difficulty chewing on a thick steak and they will have few alternatives, and ... corn-on-the-cob??

Seriously ... in formal wear??

I mean, I'm aboard for the next two weeks so I'll try it out, but so far the anticipation seems underwhelming.

PJ

Edited by VintageCCG
More detail