GeezerCouple

Hurtigruten Fram, NW Passage August (and Aug/Sept) 2019

We got an email from Hurtigruten about two offerings (Eastbound and Westbound) sailing the NW Passage.

But it isn't the full passage. At about midway "through", it seems they fly you to (or from) Edmonton.

But it's also only 14-15 days, which made it more appealing for scheduling.

However... the PRICES!

We know Hurtigruten can be pricey, but still... well into the 5 digits pp, even the small inside cabins, and at the top end, $60k for two... for two weeks!?

Have they done this itinerary before?

Did they really sell at these prices?

Any info would be appreciated.

GC

I know nothing about Hurtigruten's offerings on this route -- but other lines also ply these particular sea lanes, and for far less money. And, I must say, in more - relatively speaking - luxurious circumstances. Just Google "Cruise Lines Northwest Passage," or some variation thereof.

I know nothing about Hurtigruten's offerings on this route -- but other lines also ply these particular sea lanes, and for far less money. And, I must say, in more - relatively speaking - luxurious circumstances. Just Google "Cruise Lines Northwest Passage," or some variation thereof.

Thanks.

Yes, we know someone who went on one of the longer NW Passage cruises on one of the luxury lines.

The price may have been similar, but the cruise was something like twice as long, and it was a true luxury ship, with lots of services (and a lot more space in the cabins and suites).

Very odd.

That's what I'm trying to figure out...

???

GC

It's new to Hurtigruten and I know someone who is booked on it. I will try to find out more from him.

Looking at the trips on Hurtigruten's website, it appears that this years trips are not complete traverses but their new Roald Amundsen does the complete Passage in 2019.

It's new to Hurtigruten and I know someone who is booked on it. I will try to find out more from him.

Looking at the trips on Hurtigruten's website, it appears that this years trips are not complete traverses but their new Roald Amundsen does the complete Passage in 2019.

I totally missed this listing earlier. Duh!

It's now almost sold out; no online info is available about which cabins are available.

Has the Roald Amundsen actually been sailing yet? It would be great to read some first-hand reports.

It's an interesting ship, to put it mildly.

But I admit that we really liked what we felt was a "Hurtigruten" feel, *not* like other cruise ships. I wonder if these new ones will lose some of that. Of course, our experience is based upon all of *one* Coastal RT cruise on the Trollfjord.

We really had such an amazing time!

GC

It's now almost sold out; no online info is available about which cabins are available.

Has the Roald Amundsen actually been sailing yet? It would be great to read some first-hand reports.

It's an interesting ship, to put it mildly.

Roald Amundsen, was originally due to launch in July 2018 but has been put back to May 2019.

The Northwest passage cruising 20. August 2019 is sold out by now at hurtigruten.no

Roald Amundsen, was originally due to launch in July 2018 but has been put back to May 2019.

The Northwest passage cruising 20. August 2019 is sold out by now at hurtigruten.no

Well, I guess that answers ONE question:

They CAN charge those prices!

Yikes.

GC

Unfortunately, the 2018 North West Passage Cruise by Fram didn't happen, because the passage was blocked by ice.  Hurtigruten had to arrange an alternate itinerary.

See Hurtigruten thread - "Anyone going on the Sept 10, 2018 Eastbound North West Passage?" 

Edited by MMDown Under