Norwegian Getaway Western Caribbean

BirdTravels

This is the most amazing and comprehensive review ever! Thank you so much!!

Two questions:

1. I have severe food allergies so I always take prepackaged crackers and muffins to eat during the cruise. On RCL, I was able to speak with the dining room manager and order customized meals in advance. However, I couldn't make changes in the specialty dining restaurants. Any idea if NCL allows changes in their restaurants?

2. We have the 3 specialty dining package with the free at sea program. The other people I am traveling with purchased the six meal plan. Can I use the value of the free plan towards the 6 meal plan? It would be alot less expensive than buying another 3 meal plan.

Thank you!!

This is the most amazing and comprehensive review ever! Thank you so much!!

Two questions:

1. I have severe food allergies so I always take prepackaged crackers and muffins to eat during the cruise. On RCL, I was able to speak with the dining room manager and order customized meals in advance. However, I couldn't make changes in the specialty dining restaurants. Any idea if NCL allows changes in their restaurants?

NCL takes food allergies very seriously. They try to accommodate all food allergies. Contact the access desk at the number below. Once you are on the ship, Talk with the restaurants you are dining at AT LEAST 24 HOURS IN ADVANCE. Food is prepared in a separate galley. The order and sequencing of food is done based on dietary restrictions and allergies. If you do not provide advance notice to the dining rooms, they may refuse service if they can not guarantee your safety.

https://www.ncl.com/about/accessible-cruising

In order to make your cruise experience as enjoyable as possible and so that we can try to meet your specific needs, call 1-866-584-9756 (voice), fax (305) 468-2171, send an email to accessdesk@ncl.com or have your travel agent contact us.

Special Medical Dietary Requirements and Diabetes

Guests with food allergies should contact the Access Desk to discuss Norwegian Cruise Line's policies and procedures concerning special diets and your specific allergies prior to your cruise. Because the vessels are supplied all over the world, it may be easier to meet your specific food allergy requirements in some countries, but very difficult in others. Special dietary requests should be submitted at least 45 days prior to sailing. Any requests inside 45 days cannot be guaranteed. We can arrange to have no sugar and low sodium meals for guests with those specific medical dietary restrictions upon request. Refrigerators are available in many staterooms for storing insulin.

2. We have the 3 specialty dining package with the free at sea program. The other people I am traveling with purchased the six meal plan. Can I use the value of the free plan towards the 6 meal plan? It would be alot less expensive than buying another 3 meal plan.

No. You have to purchase another 3 meal plan. It is still a bargain.

Thank you!!

Thank you for checking out our live posting from the Getaway. Have a great and safe cruise.

I think I read that you booked the escape room. Did you do this activity? Were there any flashing lights or strobes? My friend and I are thinking of trying this, but flashing lights and strobes make her dizzy.

This is an incredibly thorough review and has made us even more excited for our cruise. Thank you for taking the time to do it and to answer questions.

I think I read that you booked the escape room. Did you do this activity? Were there any flashing lights or strobes? My friend and I are thinking of trying this, but flashing lights and strobes make her dizzy.

This is an incredibly thorough review and has made us even more excited for our cruise. Thank you for taking the time to do it and to answer questions.

There are no real strobes. You are given a set of puzzles and props in the room that help you solve one final puzzle.

• 1 month later...
On 8/16/2018 at 12:44 AM, BirdTravels said:

Get the started off right with breakfast in bed. Complete a breakfast card and hang it on your door. Food magically shows up the next morning. Complimentary continental breakfast. Hot food, extra delivery charge.

1505cd12e8030fc55df87e6d9e6e7632.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to share with us! Is the convenience charge per item or per order?

11 hours ago, WendyBee said:

Thanks for taking the time to share with us! Is the convenience charge per item or per order?

Per order.

On a separate note, has anyone seen the new Getaway MDR menus yet? I thought I heard they were changing over last month.

Sorry if you covered this already, but I don't see it anywhere.  (I bookmarked this review because it's so helpful and we leave in 27 days and counting.)

We have $200 OBC coming to us, nonrefundable so I can't use it for DSC.  My wife has always wanted to jet ski, so I was thinking of renting us a couple on Harvest Caye, but when I check online, that doesn't show as an option there.  Do you know if they rent jet skis there, and if so, is it a private operator or I can book onboard (and therefore use OBC instead of a credit card)?

• 1 month later...
On 10/29/2018 at 10:16 PM, kpjb said:

Sorry if you covered this already, but I don't see it anywhere.  (I bookmarked this review because it's so helpful and we leave in 27 days and counting.)

We have $200 OBC coming to us, nonrefundable so I can't use it for DSC.  My wife has always wanted to jet ski, so I was thinking of renting us a couple on Harvest Caye, but when I check online, that doesn't show as an option there.  Do you know if they rent jet skis there, and if so, is it a private operator or I can book onboard (and therefore use OBC instead of a credit card)?

Were you able to find a good use for your OBC?

We ended up somehow with $233 in OBC.  I don't know how that worked... such an odd amount.  My son turned 13 on the Wednesday of the trip and wanted Teppenyaki for dinner, so we obliged.  (Although the staff was GREAT there and didn't even charge us for his meal since it was his birthday.)

Turns out that only $100 of this was non-refundable, so after the meal and some arcade play for the kids, the rest went towards CruiseNext certificates.  Worked out quite well!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

WOW !!  Talk about comprehensive.  I can't thank you enough, Bird, as we will be on her for the first time in Dec.  Great photos and descriptions !  We prefer smaller ships, but have been on the Epic, so we have an idea what to expect, although it will be our first time in a guar. balcony, due to the $350-400 price difference of a reser. bal.  Best wishes, Steve

• 4 months later...

3 hours ago, jeckstein said:

thank you BirdTravels for the great review! You have me looking forward to my Getaway on the Getaway this April.

Be sure to start looking for more up-to-date reviews after the first Fall 2019 cruise leaves New Orleans for a 9-day trip (Nov 8-17, 2019)!  The ship has undergone a dry-dock this year (since is now over 5 years old) and there are quite a few changes to the ship.

10 hours ago, jeckstein said:

thank you BirdTravels for the great review! You have me looking forward to my Getaway on the Getaway this April.

You are most welcome. 

Stay tuned for another BirdTravels live post from the Norwegian Joy to Alaska and the new Norwegian Encore to the Easter Caribbean later this year!

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

You are most welcome. 

Stay tuned for another BirdTravels live post from the Norwegian Joy to Alaska and the new Norwegian Encore to the Easter Caribbean later this year!

YAY!!!!    We always love your very complete reviews😊

What month are you going on Encore?   We have two cruises booked on her (Jan and April) and will be anxiously watching for your review.