bluemarble

QM2 "Blue Port" departure from Hamburg this evening

Posted (edited)

Here's a link to a page on the NDR.de web site with a video and some photos of QM2's departure from Hamburg this evening.

In blauem Licht: "Queen Mary 2" verlässt Hamburg

As we know, QM2's departures from Hamburg are almost always greeted with considerable fanfare. But this evening's departure was a special tribute to mark the tenth anniversary of the Blue Port Hamburg festival. There were fireworks, and as you can see, QM2 was trimmed in blue lighting as were the boats in the flotilla that accompanied her. NDR.de live-streamed the departure on their web site and I was able to follow along in real time. I'm glad to see they have now published these highlights from that live stream to share with you.

So, it's been an eventful last few days for QM2, first with the Three Queens meeting and the Red Arrows flypast on Friday. And now a special "Blue Port" send off from Hamburg this evening.

Edited by bluemarble

Here's another video from NDR.de showing the preparations that were undertaken earlier today on QM2 to get her ready for this evening's departure from Hamburg.

"Queen Mary 2" wird blau illuminiert

I'm sure this will be more meaningful to those that understand German better than I do, but at least I get the gist of it.

QM2's passengers really have been spoiled this trip, I hope the rest of it isn't a let down after all this excitement !

I just re-booked my crossing next September (2019) to leave from Hamburg. I had such a good experience last time. It will be nice to see the city a bit earlier in the Fall than last year November. I was very impressed with Hamburg.