ladylyn915

Sticker Shock! - Scooter rental in Civitavecchia!!

I have a Norwegian Jade Cruise booked for September 2019. I just contacted Special Needs at Sea to inquire about the cost for a standard mobility scooter ( not an heavy duty one) for an 11 Day cruise. $532.00!!!

To say I am in shock is an understatement. Maybe I am just naive - but my last cruise last month departing from Cape Liberty was $256 for nine days. I am not sure what to do.

I only need the scooter for cruising. Is it possible to buy a used mobility scooter for less than this rental amount? If I can find one, how is a scooter handled by the airlines? Is there a fee for checking it? If so, does anyone know how much?

I'm glad I called now because if I have to budget $500+ for the scooter, I better start now.

I purchased my own for $700 from spinlife.com. Scooters travel free with the airline. I believe you drive it to the door of the plane, the staff stores it for the ride, then they bring it back to you when you land. No walking through the airport.

I purchased my own for $700 from spinlife.com. Scooters travel free with the airline. I believe you drive it to the door of the plane, the staff stores it for the ride, then they bring it back to you when you land. No walking through the airport.

Thank you!

I may have to do this. May I ask, how long have you had your scooter and do you like it?

Thank you!

I may have to do this. May I ask, how long have you had your scooter and do you like it?

I have had it since March. I love it. I can do more things and go more places without someone having to push me and I'm not exhausted from walking (or trying too.)

Currently on the internet, the Pride Travel 3 wheel is listed at $649. I currently have a Pride Travel 3 wheel that I have had for at least four years (36 cruises). Before that I had I had a Golden Technology Buzz Around 3 wheel for about six years (24 cruises).

I'd suggest you check a couple of your local Medical Supply places. Like you, I have a limited budged and it is much less expensive to own. And as someone else mentioned, you can ride your scooter right to the airplane in the U.S. When we flew out of Rome, they took our scooters at the check in and somebody wheeled us around in wheel chairs. That was a number of years ago.

We did take the train from Rome to Civitavecchia and scooted from the train station in Civitavecchia to the ship's shuttle bus pick-up point. Again, that was a few years ago. Someone recently suggested that the shuttle bus point has relocated.

If you do get your own scooter and decide to use the trains in Italy, you should contact their Sala Blu department. We booked our tickets through them. http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en Just click on the wheelchair assistance at the bottom. That will aim you the correct direction. To my knowledge there still is not a direct train from the airport to Civitavecchia. We spent a couple nights in Rome before the cruise.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty