mrsfecura

Small travel laptop to use in Europe

Hello!
I'm looking for recommendations for a small, light travel laptop for use in Europe. I'd be primarily using it to stream tv and surf the web, social media, etc. I'd definately like to keep it under $400-$500.
Any suggestions?

Ipad is good advice...you could add a keyboard if you are averse to typing on a flat screen.

If you are accustomed to Windows you can get a windows based tablet that will do the same thing as the Ipad without the ordeal of learning Apple's way of doing things.

Though if you have an iphone you are already well-trained for an Ipad.

Thanks guys. I do have an older iPad. That's not a bad option.

Sent from my SM-G930V using [URL=http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=76452]Forums mobile app[/URL]

If you want something inexpensive that you don't care if you accidentally break it and just want streaming / social media, I would go for one of the Kindle Fire tablets. For brand new ones, they range from $50 to $200 depending on sizes and options. Personally I would go for the 8" as it's big enough that it won't strain your eyes but small enough to be portable. And splurge a bit and get the one with more storage space but save your money and get the one with the special offers - you can't upgrade the memory later but you can always get the ads turned off if they bother you.

I'm an IT professional and while I have a couple of cheap Windows tablets, those are really hard to find these days. The Kindle Fires would be my next go-to device.

Personally, I still prefer a laptop with integrated keys & multiple USB ports, rather than a tablet. You can find many basic laptops with 11" screens that are fairly small and light. In Canada we can get new ones for under $300, so should be even cheaper in the U.S.

+1 for the latest, 7th generation Amazon Fire tablets - got a 7" one gifted to Mrs. M and it is cute for basic email, browsing & Youtube, etc. (... what, I'll explain below) & put in a class 10 mSD card for 32GB integrated storage, mainly for video. Simply put, it works & good for 10 hours of playing with a decent headset. Small & almost unbreakable. Almost as good as my 6 years old Nexus 7 tablet and more responsive - got Google Play Store sideloaded & "OK Google" mostly worked.

My geek toy is now a Fire HD 8" 2017 7th generation tablet with 32GB storage, 1.5 GB memory instead of 1GB on the 7" one - plus a 64GB mSD card for a ton of videos ... it will take up to 256 mSD card, woohoo. Paired up either one with a folding/external Bluetooth keyboard - in a pinch, good enough for writing quick reports or blogging, etc. It's been on sale lately by Amazon, mine cost $60 + tax, free (non-Prime) shipping.

Google Store sideloaded & get along with Amazon Store, so the widest choice of apps to run, not 100% fully compatible but got Skype, Hangouts, MX Player, SlingTV and quite a few useful apps loaded & working, along with popular travel apps.

Old School ..; my workhorse is still the good old Dell laptop or Sony Viao SVE series with 11.6" running W10Pro, 64 bits - upgraded with SSD drive. Lastly, a Linux mint portable OS on an USB stick, just in case ...

BTW, a smaller notebook PC, with a 12" screen is ideal when flying in the back of the tin can/main cabin these days.

Thanks for all of your replies! I didn't even think about the newer kindle fires - I have a much older one, maybe first gen. But the 10" ones look good.

Posted (edited)
Fire HD 10 is a bit too large for running around town, but it can be rooted. It costs more but internal storage is more.

Here's my HD 8 paired up with a Bluetooth keyboard, next to the Dell Latitude 14" with upgraded SSD drive, my workhorse. On the road, it's a slim Sony Viao SVE series running W10Pro. [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180830/0aeb08804df15af49df1ec5c08a35f6b.jpg[/IMG]

It's slighter bigger than DW's iPad mini - bright screen, thin, sturdy & protected with a decent case, and easily replaced if & when it's worn out ... and, not a big deal if it's lost or left behind, missing, etc.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk Edited by mking8288

[quote name='mking8288']

It's slighter bigger than DW's iPad mini - bright screen, thin, sturdy & protected with a decent case, and easily replaced if & when it's worn out ... and, not a big deal if it's lost or left behind, missing, etc.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk[/quote]

This part is what makes me think its the best option! Thank you for the visual!