Differences between Maasam and Zuiderdam

jlnprt

We've cruised on the Amsterdam and the Maasdam. Next summer we will be cruising on the Zuiderdam. What are the basic differences between the ships (other than number of passengers!). What will the Zuiderdam have that the Maasdam (or Amsterdam) doesn't have?

More space and a completely different layout. The wrap-around deck is narrower in places. There are glass elevators in the center of the ship. There is not a swizzle stick in the atrium. Checking the deck plans online will show the major differences.

The smaller S-Class & R-Class ships are my favourites, but the Zuiderdam is not bad. The ship is longer than the Maasdam so there is more space in the center of the ship, which I noticed particularly on the Lido Deck - more space between the pool and the Lido restaurant when walking forward to aft.

I will say the passage from the forward elevators to the Lido restaurant from the spa through the domed pool area is narrow, and hard to navigate sometimes. Using the midship elevators will avoid the problem though.

Ohh, and the BB Kings lounge is excellent. Definitely go, the booths are a lovely place to hang out and see the show.

Without a doubt, the Z-dam layout is much better.

Interesting, I find the public spaces on the Vista Class more narrow, crowded and confined feeling than the public spaces on the S- and R-Class ships. I found though the layout is similar, the public spaces not nearly as confined and narrow on the Signature (Eurodam) Class. While I love the smaller ships, the Signature class really has become my favorite.

Everyone's experience really is slightly different.

Zuiderdam, like other Vista ships, has one of the best HAL cabin choices of all so far - their larger verandah cabins that are not full Neptune Suites, but are much more spacious than the regular verandah - can't remember what name they use but they are the SS,SY,SZ groups of cabins. That is a selling point for Vista ships all on its own if you like verandah cabins and the budget can accomodate this type of larger cabin.

Don't like the feel of the main dining rooms on this Vista class ship, nothing special about the upper portion of the dining room. The lower deck dedicated library rooms found on the smaller ships are gone, major alterations to the Crows Nest now. While the layout of Vista ships easy to figure out, I think they don't have have the element of surprise or hidden nooks or crannies that the smaller ships offer. Their design is very efficient. Longer walks to your cabins or activities from front to back obviously. But more elevators that can shorten the walks over the two elevator Maasdam.

We have sailed many days on several Vista class ship - twice on the Zuiderdam, three times on the Oosterdam - all very good cruises - , but will still pick the smaller ships all things being mostly equal. If I want something larger than the Maasdam, I will now go up to the Eurodam-Nieuw Amsterdam class ships because at least they have the Tamarind.

But if a Vista ships sails where I want to go and there is no other smaller choices, I will still sail them. Recently cancelled the Westerdam for a long trans-pacific cruise mainly because of the lack of the library. Happily found the Maasdam is now going where we wanted to go afterall.

We were on Zuiderdam last month. The ship recently had a long drydock and is ion spectacular shape, and has added the Music Walk concept that provides a greater variety of entertainment. We had an SS suite that was completely redecorated and very roomy and comfortable. The only complaint we had was the mediocre food in the MDR.

one more difference is that on the on the s and r class ships the kitchen blocks access to the lower dining room on deck 4. one always has to think about how get there without extra stair climbing.