Cruise Critic Community
fyree39

At home, where do you store your suitcases?

We have hard-sided cases and currently store them in the spare bedroom closets. We have several bags so we can't keep them all in one place. They're too big to store under the spare bed and they don't nest like the old-fashioned soft-sided suitcases used to.

I'm about to tear through the two spare closets and rearrange some things. I'd love to put the suitcases someplace else. We live in the desert so our garage and pool house can reach temperatures well over 100 degrees in the summer. I mentioned storing them there, but DH indicated he'd rather keep them in the house. Just trying to get some ideas. Thanks.

I have an unused closet that all my luggage stays in.

Try opening some of the smaller bags, to get them under the bed.

I have an unused closet that all my luggage stays in.

Try opening some of the smaller bags, to get them under the bed.

Good idea: open them and maybe lay some tissue inside to keep most of the dust out.

In the loft ,we have a fully boarded extra room here with a fold up loft ladder for easy access.

Lucky!!

Ours live in the basement, on shelves that DH built for the storage room. Right next to the cupboard that holds all our travel sundries.

If the sutcases are too thick to fit under the beds when closed, then open them up and lay them flat. That should at least take care of the largest ones.

Ours live in the basement, on shelves that DH built for the storage room. Right next to the cupboard that holds all our travel sundries.

If the sutcases are too thick to fit under the beds when closed, then open them up and lay them flat. That should at least take care of the largest ones.

I think this will be the best solution.

Thanks to all of you!

We gave them away and switched to carry on only.

That's great (even though I abhor airplane passengers who take FOREVER to pull their 40 pound carry ons from the overhead bins. I'm looking forward to increasing fees for carry on bags to help curb the wait time for getting off the danged airplane).

We have hard-sided cases and currently store them in the spare bedroom closets. We have several bags so we can't keep them all in one place. They're too big to store under the spare bed and they don't nest like the old-fashioned soft-sided suitcases used to.

I'm about to tear through the two spare closets and rearrange some things. I'd love to put the suitcases someplace else. We live in the desert so our garage and pool house can reach temperatures well over 100 degrees in the summer. I mentioned storing them there, but DH indicated he'd rather keep them in the house. Just trying to get some ideas. Thanks.

We have a large storage shed behind our house where we keep our suitcases. I don't see how temps. over 100 degrees would have much of an effect on your luggage, unless you're storing Hershey bars in them.

The attic. It also gets hot up there but I also don't see what affect a warmer environment has on luggage as it seems to have no affect on Christmas decorations.

Sounds very familiar. ;)

Our carry ons weigh in at 8-9KG max, thought often more like 7-7.5kg Those are the carry on weight limits on a number of the regional airlines that we use in Europe and Asia.

At one airport, Kuala Lumpur, an Air Asia rep checks the weight of all carry on bags before you even enter their terminal-after you have passed through security. It is a revenue generator for them. Overweight....you get sent back to the check in counter. No ifs, ands,or buts. Lufthansa in Europe can be just as rigorous. Makes a huge difference in the de-planing process.

Not like North America where weight, and sometimes size restrictions, never seems to matter to airline gate staff.

Our carry ons weigh in at 8-9KG max, thought often more like 7-7.5kg Those are the carry on weight limits on a number of the regional airlines that we use in Europe and Asia.

At one airport, Kuala Lumpur, an Air Asia rep checks the weight of all carry on bags before you even enter their terminal-after you have passed through security. It is a revenue generator for them. Overweight....you get sent back to the check in counter. No ifs, ands,or buts. Lufthansa in Europe can be just as rigorous. Makes a huge difference in the de-planing process.

Not like North America where weight, and sometimes size restrictions, never seems to matter to airline gate staff.

That's fascinating information; but how does it answer the OPs question of where do you store your luggage at home?

I have a luggage room right next door to my gift wrapping room.

Ours used to reside under the stairs in the crawl space, but I got tired of becoming a contortionist trying to bring them out, so now they live in a spare room downstairs. There's only 2 of us and a cat in a large house, so they get their own room and we're all happy. LOL

I agree with opening them and laying them flat under the spare bed; that's what you do if they don't fit under the bed in your cabin.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Good idea: open them and maybe lay some tissue inside to keep most of the dust out.

And, if you slide them in open side down there is minimal chance of dust getting in.

Ours live in the basement, on shelves that DH built for the storage room.

Same here. The suitcases hang out with the Christmas ornaments next to my water heater, water softener, and HVAC unit.