Pullmantour MS Horizon 10/03-24/03

fosie

18 minutes ago, aussie cruzer said:

We are doing the QE2 tour on the Sunday @ 3pm if anyone wants to come along,tickets can be purchased on the day at reception. 

https://www.qe2.com/board/inside-the-qe2

Entry fee includes food & drink vouchers on board the QE2.

We may join you there.  It just depends on how exhausted we are after our week + here.

Just a bit of info re arrival at airport and visa etc.  

very smooth and quick procedure, with visa stamped on the passport.

No problems with medication forms or any questions asked re this, but we had our prescriptions in the original packaging, plus pharmacist form duly filled out, together with prescription by doctor duly signed.  This was something that was freaking me out before I left home.  

The only wait we had was collecting our luggage, about 45 minutes to retrieve same.

After disembarking plane, just follow the signs for visitors without visas.  Once visa stamped, follow signs for trains to get to baggage claim, a short 5 minute ride.  Whilst waiting for luggage we noticed the duty free store, ATM, washrooms, everything clearly marked in English.

As we left with our luggage, following signs for a taxi, we noticed Spinneys supermarket on the right hand side and stopped to purchase water etc.  Great place to purchase a few snacks and cheeses etc.  A great mini market.  Reasonable prices too.

Taxi ride to Gevora Hotel in the Trade centre area on Sheikh Zayed Road, 58 AED.

Very reasonable.  Very impressed with hotel.  Absolutely spectacular 180 degree views from our suite, with no buildings impeding our view of the Burj.  Great pool on the 12th floor and an amazing lobby.  So far, no problems with elevators, which were pretty fast, however for a hotel with 70 floors, IMHO I feel they should have installed more elevators.  

There also is an array of antique cars on the 12th floor with the original bat mobile.

The hotel also provides a free shuttle to the Mall of the Emirates and a couple of other places, however we used the metro instead of waiting for the timed shuttle.  Info at the metro booth was great, guy in booth selling tickets spoke excellent English and was extremely helpful.

Taxis are very reasonably priced too.

Weather today was 66 degrees, with a slight breeze, very comfortable for walking.

Hope this info can help others who may have some concerns.

The Horizon together with 3 other ships was in port today.  Had a beautiful view of it together with the QE2 from our room, even though it was far away.  DH got a great telephoto shot of it.  

I've had a cancellation with some of our tours.

I've got room for 2 on our Petra & Wadi Rum private tour $195 p/p...van size 8 people with guide.

Dubai city tour & Burg Kalifa tickets for 2 people on the Sunday $75 p/p.

Unfortunately my Aussie mate has some medical issues to attend too and can't make it.

Just now, NZ Sailor said:

Jill and I would be keen to join you for the Petra and Wadi tour. We were looking just at the Petra tour but looks to be a large bus so prefer to go with a smaller group. Rod

Rod can you send me a email with both your  names & nationality (presume NZ passports)

aussiecruzer1969  at gmail.com

The tour company will need passport details,Jordon Horizons is highly recommended by friends of mine.

Pay cash or credit card on the day.

2 hours ago, NZ Sailor said:

Great, have sent details through, rushing round at present to tie up all the bits and pieces before we leave on thurs.

Great...welcome to our little "group" ... 

6 hours ago, NZ Sailor said:

Jill and I would be keen to join you for the Petra and Wadi tour. We were looking just at the Petra tour but looks to be a large bus so prefer to go with a smaller group. Rod

Hi Rod and Jill, a great big welcome.  We look forward to meeting you on board and joining us on our small group tour.  Anything organized by Duncan is always successful and a great time usually had by all.  See ya soon.

Liz

Leave tomorrow, bags getting heavier by the day especially as we add extra warm clothing. In the Med at this time a few years back and recall a few icy cold evenings. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Rod & Jill