Man overboard on Norwegian Star

Seafoam Sally

I agree with the cruise ban comment....she should be banned for sure...

Now that more facts are becoming available, it is becoming increasingly apparent that she jumped. Although I am happy for her that she was rescued, she should in some way be held accountable. Thousands of people were inconvenienced both emotionally and financially. At the very least, she should be banned from cruise ships and do some sort of community service. If I owned the company that she is supposed to be going back to work for, there is no way I am letting her work as a stewardess on an airplane. She needs help.

Now that more facts are becoming available, it is becoming increasingly apparent that she jumped. Although I am happy for her that she was rescued, she should in some way be held accountable. Thousands of people were inconvenienced both emotionally and financially. At the very least, she should be banned from cruise ships and do some sort of community service. If I owned the company that she is supposed to be going back to work for, there is no way I am letting her work as a stewardess on an airplane. She needs help.

Totally agree with your comments. I am an ex stewardess and flew for 39 years. She is just a woman who loves the limelight and likes her drink. Sue her.

Ok, I will say it and Sorry to sound cold but I don’t waste my sorrow in people like this. It is IMPOSSIBLE to “fall” overboard unless you either want to or are being an idiot. There are plenty of other sad things in the world for me to concern myself about

While I share your opinion to a certain degree, one can be thrown or pushed overboard and in that instance I would be concerned and hope that the police are there on arrrival. Certainly the pusher will be in the brig.

Totally agree with your comments. I am an ex stewardess and flew for 39 years. She is just a woman who loves the limelight and likes her drink. Sue her.

I don't think any one is going to sue her. It's not worth the money or the effort. I'm not even sure what the jurisdiction would be ... Croatia? An international tribune? Maybe a fellow Brit could sue her on British soil, if the UK allows damages for things that happen in another country. No American will sue because you don't automatically get reimbursed for your lawyer or court fees, and those will easily be more than the chance of recovery for compensation for what you actually lost. I guess the English rule is that the winner can collect attorney's fees from the loser, but again, who has jurisdiction? Will someone travel to Italy or Croatia or whoever has jurisdiction to file the suit?

My husband and I were on this sailing with the 'jumper'. We are Canadian and suing just is not going to be an option. We were due to dock at 8am in Venice and we had a flight booked out at 130pm; we actually docked at 230pm and did not disembark until 5pm as the Italian authorities would not release the ship until they completed their questioning/investigation on board. I begrudged buying the unlimited internet package for USD209 at the beginning of the cruise for one device but let me tell you, it was worth its weight in gold when I was searching for alternate flight arrangements home and dealing with our Travel Agency's Emergency Travel Centre, particularly with the time changes. I was able to search the flights we wanted but could not change our original ticket; the agency had to do it. I sourced out an overnight airport hotel in Venice as well with the internet. The ship 'gave' each person 15 internet minutes free to try to make arrangements or notify family/agents, etc-did not accomplish much as even my inet was sporadic. It took me 8 hours to finalize all our travel changes and at a cost of $5K. Thankfully we have travel insurance and should get everything back; the only hold up is NCL is dragging its heals providing a letter/statement about the late return of the ship to Venice, which is required by our Insurance Company.

I don't care how this sounds - if I ever meet her I will drown her! no words...

I don't think any one is going to sue her. It's not worth the money or the effort. I'm not even sure what the jurisdiction would be ... Croatia? An international tribune? Maybe a fellow Brit could sue her on British soil, if the UK allows damages for things that happen in another country. No American will sue because you don't automatically get reimbursed for your lawyer or court fees, and those will easily be more than the chance of recovery for compensation for what you actually lost. I guess the English rule is that the winner can collect attorney's fees from the loser, but again, who has jurisdiction? Will someone travel to Italy or Croatia or whoever has jurisdiction to file the suit?

She's domiciled in Spain so any action would be taken there. With the globalization of business and trade there are no rules to stop you suing someone for money that you've lost as a result of their actions regardless of where the loss took place.

I agree that an individual action would probably be fruitless, costly and time consuming and based on her job and the pictures of where she lives its unlikely that she would be able to pay anyone back any money.

It would be interesting though if enough passengers mounted a "class" action against her - I sure there are lawyers in Spain that would take this on a no win no fee basis - the hard part is bringing enough people together.

Im surprised NCL aren't taking some form of action too especially as they sail from Spanish ports.

Have to say though I do feel the pain of and have sympathy with those who are several $$$'s out of pocket as a result of her stupid actions.

• 1 month later...

This whole thing has been a nightmare for me. I fall into the category of people who incurred significant extra costs to get home ($2100). I had travel insurance but my travel insurance company is only willing to reimburse me $400. I filed an appeal of the decision so we shall see. Norwegian hasn't been very helpful at all and took weeks just to issue me a letter saying that they won't be providing reimbursement so I could give that to my insurance company. I obviously can't sue this UK woman but it seems completely unfair that I'll potentially be out $1700 for her stupidity.

22 minutes ago, sambpollack said:

This whole thing has been a nightmare for me. I fall into the category of people who incurred significant extra costs to get home ($2100). I had travel insurance but my travel insurance company is only willing to reimburse me $400. I filed an appeal of the decision so we shall see. Norwegian hasn't been very helpful at all and took weeks just to issue me a letter saying that they won't be providing reimbursement so I could give that to my insurance company. I obviously can't sue this UK woman but it seems completely unfair that I'll potentially be out $1700 for her stupidity.

22 minutes ago, sambpollack said:

The sad thing about the majority of CC contributors is they think having insurance is the answer, I know insurance companies treat claims as lies, and it’s up to the claimant to prove it isn’t..