Man overboard on Norwegian Star

Seafoam Sally

There is nothing wrong with speculating about motive here, but as many have already said, you can’t “fall” off a cruise ship if you’re a passenger. That would seem to boil it down to a stupid mistake (often alcohol-related), a suicide attempt, or a crime committed by someone else.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is nothing wrong with speculating about motive here, but as many have already said, you can’t “fall” off a cruise ship if you’re a passenger. That would seem to boil it down to a stupid mistake (often alcohol-related), a suicide attempt, or a crime committed by someone else.

(y)

The 46-year-old woman, who identified herself only as Kay, spoke to Croatian news outlet HRT shortly after arriving back on land.

"I fell off the back of the Norwegian Star," she told HRT. "I was in the water for 10 hours, so these wonderful guys rescued me. I'm very lucky to be alive."

"The Coast Guard was notified and a search and rescue operation ensued. We are pleased to advise that the guest was found alive, is currently in stable condition, and has been taken ashore in Croatia for further treatment. We are very happy that the individual is now safe and will soon be reunited with friends and family."

It was unclear how the woman went overboard.

It will be really interesting to see how she "Fell" over

I've read a lot of posts and articles regarding this incident . And I have been on 25 cruises on various cruise lines.. I still don't know how you simply fall off a Ship ???????

Edited by billfish

Here are the 2 photos taken on Norwegian Dawn which is sister ship to the Star - one of the Deck 7 aft walkway and one of the back of ship as seen from Deck 7 railing.

How did she manage to miss the section of the stern that’s angled outward? I wondered that from the photos showing the entire stern.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They should be both thrown off the ship. She has either been too drunk, tried to top herself, he has attacked her or it is some kind of a setup to sell the story because how has she survived in the water for 10 hours even in august in the adriatic sea?

How did she manage to miss the section of the stern that’s angled outward? I wondered that from the photos showing the entire stern.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The reports say "the back of the ship", but from the photos of the area roped off it looks like she left the ship over the side rails on decking "near" the back of the ship The section of Deck 7 round the back are even higher than the side sections that are about 4 feet high. That section across the back is plating and so has no step mechanism to climb it and it is around 5 feet high. The kick out at the bottom of the stern would probably have badly hurt anyone falling down from a cabin above - but she didn't despite the graphics in the papers.

I agree it was side not back from the area ncl roped off. If newspapers are to be believed she spent the week arguing with her partner and had a drunk argument with family and friends before the incident. It also sounds like the hospital are assessing her for stress. Hope she gets the help she needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh gosh. One of my worst nightmares falling overboard. I hate leaning on the railings (even though I know they’re safe) on cruise ships in case I fall.

I hope he’s found safely, and best wishes to his friends and family.

rest assure, you do not just "fall" overboard, unless you are doing some incredible stupid

Marion

I'm pretty sure TheGinBoy was pointing out to the people that were quick to "ban" the passenger, including you, that there are often more details to a situation, and people should pause before making unfounded assumptions. He made no assumptions that she was pushed overboard, or that there was any foul play, or even that he knew the specifics of this particular case. His statements were general, yours, and others weren't.

The "ban" statements, and the statements about the woman being billed for the rescue effort were the irresponsible statements. We don't know how or why she fell overboard, we can only infer, but those statements imply that she was negligent in falling over board, and no one else was. Once the facts of the cases are known to the proper authorities, and if it's determined this woman was responsible, then that's the point at which a banning and/or bill to them should be considered, not before then.

You do not just "fall" overboard, sorry in order for anyone to "fall" overboard they have to been doinfg something incredible stupid

Marion

Inquiring minds want to know: How did she survive for 10 hours in the water?

I think survival would be harder if she were drunk.

I was in Croatia 3 weeks ago (Dubrovnik) the water temp was around 80F

Ok, but she still had to be an excellent swimmer, or held on to a board, or treaded water for 10 hours. She had to take some action to stay alive, so maybe not suicidal, maybe not drunk......

Sorry but maybe I am sceptical but just don’t buy this story. Having looked over the back of a cruise ship many many times I have been in awe as to how high it is and how tremendous the wake from the ship is. She looked like she had been in a spa when she stepped off the rescue ship. An enormous fall which probably caused internal injuries and 10 hours swimming? It just doesn’t make sense.

There doesn't seem to be any authority doubting she was in the water for 10 hours.

She clearly was able to get cleaned up while on the rescue ship.

The Adriatic is extremely salty and warm, if she was able to remain calm, she might have been able to lay and float more than she had to tread, so the swimming wouldn't be exhausting, just the stress of wonder if someone would find her.

So what is it that you are doubting?

How she fell off the ship is questionable (though presumably cameras know the answer, so authorities do too). This post just looks like there is doubt she fell at all.

Still think she would have been injured either externally or internally after falling all that way, hitting the water at speed and also being in the wake of the ship. She didn’t appear to have a bruise on her. Just saying

Not sure the Sun is the most reputable source. But it's interesting to see that *someone* is reporting that she jumped now.

The same sun newspaper that said the liverpool fans urinated on the dead at hillsbrough in 1989. Not a good source of news at all.

you can die from exposure in any water below your core body temp, it just takes longer.

Water TemperatureExpected Time Before Exhaustion or UnconsciousnessExpected Time of Survival(°F)(°C) 32.5°0.3°< 15 minutes45 minutes32.5–40°0.3–4.4°15 – 30 minutes30 – 90 minutes40–50°3.3–10°30 – 60 minutes1 – 3 hours50–60°10–15.6°1 – 2 hours1 – 6 hours60–70°15.6–21.1°2 – 7 hours2 – 40 hours70–80°21.1–26.7°3 – 12 hours3 hours – indefinite> 80°> 26.7°IndefiniteIndefinite