Tips for Azamara Newbies

Grandma Cruising

2 minutes ago, GlobalMethod said:

but like you we are not cabin snobs

Interesting that you consider those that prefer the more spacious accommodation as being 'snobs'.

Perhaps you might consider yourself as a 'pleb'? 

• Haha 1

We had verandah cabins in Asia and lots to see and a welcome breeze etc. Would highly recommend. Even docked in several ports the views were great. On departure the quayside entertainment was perfect from your verandah with a drink in hand! 

I am also an Azamara newbie, but I have sailed these ships several times when they were part of Princess Cruises.  I'll share my cabin preferences for what they're worth.  These are small ships, compared with those of NCL and Celebrity.  They tend to rock and roll a bit in rough seas.  I have a tendency toward seasickness, so we always book a balcony as low and mid-ship as we can get.  

7 minutes ago, cruisinclined said:

But I assume to buy the first level drinks package, both guests need to buy , even if one does not drink alcohol?

The basic package is included in the price, this includes a range of spirits (but strangely no brandy) wines which change each day and a small selection of beers. The next level is the Premium Package which includes better spirits & beers. Then there’s the Ultimate Package with premium spirits and enhanced wine selection.

The upgraded packages are on the Azamara website, it used to show the included drinks but it no longer does.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cruisinclined said:

But I assume to buy the first level drinks package, both guests need to buy , even if one does not drink alcohol?

If you want to buy an upgraded drinks package it doesn’t need to be bought by both people. One person can buy it.

Included spirits include Gordon’s & Beefeater Gin, Famous Grouse whisky, Smirnoff Vodka.

Edited by Grandma Cruising
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

If you want to buy an upgraded drinks package it doesn’t need to be bought by both people. One person can buy it.

Included spirits include Gordon’s & Beefeater Gin, Famous Grouse whisky, Smirnoff Vodka.

When I enquired about this, I was told that both occupants of a room were required to upgrade the drinks package. It seems that I was mis-informed! 

23 minutes ago, blag said:

When I enquired about this, I was told that both occupants of a room were required to upgrade the drinks package. It seems that I was mis-informed! 

It certainly didn’t use to be the case and there’s nothing in the small print on the website that says so. Maybe it’s changed with the new ownership. Did you ask onboard or via customer services?

1 hour ago, Grandma Cruising said:

It certainly didn’t use to be the case and there’s nothing in the small print on the website that says so. Maybe it’s changed with the new ownership. Did you ask onboard or via customer services?

I made enquiries on board, but it was several years ago. Before the new ownership. 

1 hour ago, islandwoman said:

You mean they don't want passengers to share? 

That is exactly what I was told. And on at least one cruise, a fellow cruiser was told (by the barman) that he could not offer me a drink not included in the standard package.

I had some difficulty trying to make this response unambiguous: I hope I have succeeded. 

Azamara sounds so nice, can't wait to book and hope the world is more settled by travel date. Love the comment about the kids not noticing any difference in their inheritance if we upgrade  a bit, I need to shift into this mindset.  Love the kids, but after wedding and house warming gifts maybe we are overdue to start spluring a bit. Will also check out larger oceanview rooms, good to know, but I'm feeling sold on a veranda. Azamara veterans, thanks to all! 

• Like 2

On 3/3/2022 at 5:40 AM, blag said:

That is exactly what I was told. And on at least one cruise, a fellow cruiser was told (by the barman) that he could not offer me a drink not included in the standard package.

I had some difficulty trying to make this response unambiguous: I hope I have succeeded. 

Of course you can’t use your upgraded beverage package to provide drinks for others, I can’t imagine any company allowing that. The same applies if one half of a couple has the package & the other doesn’t. You have to show your card with the upgrade sticker on it if you order upgraded drinks - 1 card per drink.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Of course you can’t use your upgraded beverage package to provide drinks for others, I can’t imagine any company allowing that. The same applies if one half of a couple has the package & the other doesn’t. You have to show your card with the upgrade sticker on it if you order upgraded drinks - 1 card per drink.

Well... But...

Being Macchiavellian...

Here's a scenario for you.

Let's assume I am an 'enthusiastic' drinker. I sit down with my drink, and then shortly later, someone joins me. This person enjoys exactly the same drink as I do. I order a second (remember, I enjoy my booze). Now my friend and I decide to progress to another location, with me carrying both 'my' drinks. At this new location, I decide I don't want my second drink. My friend, being of a helpful disposition, kindly offers to drink it for me!

How is such behaviour prevented?

51 minutes ago, blag said:

Well... But...

Being Macchiavellian...

Let's assume I am an 'enthusiastic' drinker. I sit down with my drink, and then shortly later, someone joins me. This person enjoys exactly the same drink as I do. I order a second (remember, I enjoy my booze). Now my friend and I decide to progress to another location, with me carrying both 'my' drinks. At this new location, I decide I don't want my second drink. My friend, being of a helpful disposition, kindly offers to drink it for me!

You do want the cruise lines to stay afloat don’t you?  This is Azamara ; your new pal is already getting free drinks!😁🥃

• Like 4

1 hour ago, blag said:

Well... But...

Being Macchiavellian...

I guess you can’t, but I don’t think you’d get away with it more than once or twice. These are small ships with a limited number of bars and staff know who you are very quickly.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, blag said:

Well... But...

Being Macchiavellian...

By your integrity...I should think.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 3/3/2022 at 1:40 PM, blag said:

I was last on Azamara four years ago.  I had the premium drinks package but not my husband.  They are small ships and the barmen get to know their customers.  To be absolutely honest, about twice in 14 days I did order a drink not for myself. Otherwise there is so sharing.  I wanted Tanqueray and a better sparkling wine. My husband was quite happy with Jim Beam.

On 3/5/2022 at 1:14 AM, blag said:

Well... But...

Being Macchiavellian...

As I have already said, the barmen get to know all their passengers, and the barmen rotate through all the bars too.  Grandma Cruising has stated the same. Plus it is a matter of personal honesty/integrity (my two lapses aside!).  Everyone can have “free” drinks at anytime as alcohol is included in the fare.

Edited by Port Power
  • Like 5

On 3/3/2022 at 3:28 AM, Grandma Cruising said:

Thanks, I was referring to buying the basic package requiring two passengers to sign up.

1 hour ago, cruisinclined said:

Thanks, I was referring to buying the basic package requiring two passengers to sign up.

There is no basic package. Drinks are included for everyone - certain spirits (Gordon’s, Beefeater Gin, Famous Grouse whisky etc plus tw white and two red wines that change daily, a rose and a sparkling wine. There are 2 upgraded drinks packages - Premium (which includes a greater range of spirits & beers, and the Ultimate package which includes an even more extensive range of spirits plus upgraded wines by the glass. For both of these it’s possible for only 1 person in a cabin to buy it

• Like 3

Not sure where this both in a cabin having to buy drinks packages comes from. You have always been able to buy them as an individual on Azamara. Other cruise lines may not be like that. 

As regards the comment about fiddling the system and getting an upgraded drink on your package and giving it to someone else, of course there are ways to do it. Sleight of hand or whatever, but as marinaro pointed out, it's down to integrity. The bar tenders are pretty observant too and remember. There are cameras all over the ship. 

Phil 

• Like 8