Tips for Azamara Newbies

Grandma Cruising

I too must add my thanks to all the contributors on this thread.  We took our first Azamara cruise last month and the tips posted here were invaluable.  We enjoyed the cruise very much and booked another whilst onboard.

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

A shower that is fine for some isn’t fine for everyone.  DS is 6’4” and 290ish, the shower isn’t fine for him.

I'm with you, although I'm only 5'11".    I may try the spa shower next cruise.

12 minutes ago, Whistlerski said:

Another newbie question! We will be arriving in Buenos Aires on December 22 2018 ( pursuit) in the morning and our flight is in the evening. Is there any allowance for late check-out? 

There may be, but it’s not guaranteed.  You’ll only be able to find out onboard as it just depends on the port authority and I’m not sure of Buenos Aires.  Check when you are on. If it is allowed it’s $35 per person and allows you to stay on to have lunch.  Sometimes as late as 2.30pm, but once again that time is port dependent.

Phil

5 hours ago, jelayne said:

A shower that is fine for some isn’t fine for everyone.  DS is 6’4” and 290ish, the shower isn’t fine for him.

Well there are of course exceptions, but I’m not sure many here who have issue with them are 6’4” and weigh 290lbs.  I’m 6’ and about 200lbs and it’s never been a problem.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Whistlerski said:

Another newbie question! We will be arriving in Buenos Aires on December 22 2018 ( pursuit) in the morning and our flight is in the evening. Is there any allowance for late check-out? 

If you have late flight a ships tour with afternoon airport drop off is a good option on the last day.

Not cheap but a good use of O B C if you have any, we have done it several times.

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 12:33 PM, Bloodaxe said:

If you have late flight a ships tour with afternoon airport drop off is a good option on the last day.

Not cheap but a good use of O B C if you have any, we have done it several times.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a flight that leaves at 4:30pm...…..

This thread is brilliant - really helpful for Azamara newbies like me!

I just returned from my first Azamara cruise (on Journey) - loved every moment of it - and would like to add some more tips:

- There is a smoking corner on deck 9 on the starboard side of the pool bar. If smoke bothers you, choose a sun-lounger away from this.

- Do not leave books / sunglasses / hats on sun-loungers while you wander off for lunch etc.  You do not need to "reserve" sunbeds as there are more than enough to go around.  The staff constantly collect up any belongings left lying around and replace used towels with fresh ones.

- If you want peace and quiet try the sun-loungers on Deck 5 and Deck 11 (the busiest area is by the pool on Deck 9).

- If its really hot, the swinging nest seats on Deck 11 catch a good breeze, and are a great place to read a book.

- There are free daily Yoga / Pilates / Spinning classes in the gym and organised power-walks on Deck 10. It all helps combat all that food and drink!

- If you are meeting friends for dinner, arrange to meet in the Living Room and enjoy a pre-dinner glass of wine and tapas.

- There are a wide variety of board games and packs of cards available in a cupboard in the card room, Deck 10. Help yourself and have some fun.

- You can request a particular waiter in Discoveries if you have a favorite.

- After the Azamazing Evening, we returned to the ship at 10.30pm to a "light snack" which, it seems, is Azamara speak for a huge buffet! So don't worry if you miss dinner beforehand. You certainly wont starve!

- At Discoveries ask to join a larger table, you will meet some fabulous people.

- At Discoveries some of the larger tables (for 4-6) are at the back, right above the propellers. If you don't enjoy the vibrations ask to sit elsewhere.

- Don't eat too much dinner on the evening of the chocolate buffet - you will need some "stomach capacity" to really enjoy it!

- Go to the Living Room for an after dinner Appletini (delicious included cocktail) and listen to some music. The DJ was very amenable to requests.

- The included coffee at Mosaic is much better quality than the Nespresso (premium).

• Like 4

16 hours ago, k0k0 said:

This thread is brilliant - really helpful for Azamara newbies like me!

I just returned from my first Azamara cruise (on Journey) - loved every moment of it - and would like to add some more tips:

- There is a smoking corner on deck 9 on the starboard side of the pool bar. If smoke bothers you, choose a sun-lounger away from this.

- Do not leave books / sunglasses / hats on sun-loungers while you wander off for lunch etc.  You do not need to "reserve" sunbeds as there are more than enough to go around.  The staff constantly collect up any belongings left lying around and replace used towels with fresh ones.

- If you want peace and quiet try the sun-loungers on Deck 5 and Deck 11 (the busiest area is by the pool on Deck 9).

- If its really hot, the swinging nest seats on Deck 11 catch a good breeze, and are a great place to read a book.

- There are free daily Yoga / Pilates / Spinning classes in the gym and organised power-walks on Deck 10. It all helps combat all that food and drink!

- If you are meeting friends for dinner, arrange to meet in the Living Room and enjoy a pre-dinner glass of wine and tapas.

- There are a wide variety of board games and packs of cards available in a cupboard in the card room, Deck 10. Help yourself and have some fun.

- You can request a particular waiter in Discoveries if you have a favorite.

- After the Azamazing Evening, we returned to the ship at 10.30pm to a "light snack" which, it seems, is Azamara speak for a huge buffet! So don't worry if you miss dinner beforehand. You certainly wont starve!

- At Discoveries ask to join a larger table, you will meet some fabulous people.

- At Discoveries some of the larger tables (for 4-6) are at the back, right above the propellers. If you don't enjoy the vibrations ask to sit elsewhere.

- Don't eat too much dinner on the evening of the chocolate buffet - you will need some "stomach capacity" to really enjoy it!

- Go to the Living Room for an after dinner Appletini (delicious included cocktail) and listen to some music. The DJ was very amenable to requests.

- The included coffee at Mosaic is much better quality than the Nespresso (premium).

Loved your feedback!

Have you booked another Az cruise yet?

16 hours ago, k0k0 said:

Could someone speak to the boarding process on Azamara?  Have questions such as:

When do they start checking folks in?

What time does boarding usually start?

Because the ship is so small, thinking the crowds might not be bad, but is there a 'rush' time to avoid?

Read on a review about checking in on the ship; is that how it happens all the time or just in some ports?  (we are boarding in Miami)

Anything else about boarding that would be different from the mainstream lines?

Thanks!