NAPLES - private car/driver thru HAL or other vendor???

I have been trying to do some research here on CC.

We would like a private or semi-private tour, for the two of us, to experience the Amalfi Coast.

Can anybody tell me how much a full day car and driver costs thru HAL excursions.

I am not seeing prices listed in the general info online. and our cruise will be next year.

I know there is one very much recommended company, Limos, out of Rome I think, and they are showing 500 Euros for this.

Supposed to be a nice Mercedes sedan.

Another private-tours company is showing 450 Euros.

I would love any additional recommendations. Especially since that is sounding expensive to me. And, assuming that the Euro will still be stronger than the U.S. dollar.

I have seen these two companies, and also contact info for two that seem to be individuals.

But, we would have to really have some trust before booking an individual or small outfit over a larger company.

Thanks!!!

Depending on the time of the year, the Amalfi Drive can be really traffic choked, slow and even annoying. One other option is to see this spectacular area by sea - there are boats that cover this same area and can land at various locations along the way. Looking up at these colorful staircase villages from the sea is dazzling.

How long do you have in port? Here is an example of what can be offered: https://www.viator.com/tours/Sorrento/Amalfi-Coast-Boat-Experience-Sorrento-to-Positano-Li-Galli-Rotonda-and-Castelletto/d947-7828P2

Do you dock in Naples or Sorrento? If you dock in Naples, you can take the small CircumVesuvian train to Sorrento: http://www.groundedtravel.com/routes/rail/europe/naples-sorrento-circumvesuvian-train

On the Ports of Call board for Italy there are literally hundreds of recommendations for some of the top operators for Amalfi Coast private tours.

I cannot endorse any of these as I've not used them (I speak passable Italian and get around on my own) but RomeInLimo and Joe Banana have stellar reputations going back years for that area in particular.

Be very careful to get the tour provider name precisely right. There are dozens and dozens of "wannabe's" with similar names.

I cannot remember exact price but I can guarantee that the HAL private car option will be quite a bit more expensive than the quotes you already have.

Some other things to be aware of:

-- "Big bus" tours cannot get into some of the small Amalfi Coast towns, so if you take a ship tour, you'll only "see" Positano from above, you won't actually visit it.

-- Sorrento is NOT the Amalfi Coast. I'm not particularly fond of it -- very crowded and more about shopping than anything else. (And I've stayed there for a week, so my impressions are not just from a quick visit...)

One needs to get to Sorrento to start the coastal drive, or take a boat from Sorrento for a water side tour. Unless one is going up the Amalfi Drive from the Salerno direction rather than down it from Sorrento.

Tour guides pick up at the port, wherever your ship is. You can start the scenic drive anywhere. How much time in port determines how much a guide can show you. Traffic can be heavy but experienced guides adjust routes as needed. Positano is the most difficult to get into.

In 2015 we booked Naples Tour Service for a private tour of Sorrento & Positano. It was absolutely a fabulous, memorable experience. In 2016 we booked them again to arrange a tour of Pompeii and Naples. Because we loved our driver so much the first time, Sergio arranged it so we had Franco again on the second trip, too! He's SO personable and thoughtful! Sergio is fantastic to work with and their company is competitively priced. https://www.naplestoursservice.com

Thank you so much mrspeck and borasue.

I will def. look into these two recommendations!

On a budget, I am also making a note of italytours, which seems to offer small group excursions, perhaps with 6 or 8 guests, for a reasonable rate per person.

You could also arrange your own small group excursion with people from your roll call (or join one if someone else is looking for people to join theirs). We did just that....used Joe Banana twice for the Amalfi Coast and Pompeii. Prices are per vehicle, not per person. Our small group did excursions in other ports as well. Have a great time!

Thanks!

I looked at the one Rome in limo web-site, and they have the tour-sharing page. But, for example, this fall, in early October, there isn't really any interest or any groups forming there.

I think I will go take a look at the roll-calls for this Fall and see if there are people getting together for small group tours.

Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised.